Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got a boat ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2003, 08:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got back from Anglessey (three times a year event), have been splashing about in a little rib with a 2 hp Honda motor, was gopod fun but now need more power !

Used to use my father in laws Fletcher Arrowstreak with 115 hp, oh how the mighty have fallen, he sold it as nobody was using it, er we had 3 babies and couldnt, now they all want to go in it and its gone. Went looking today and the one I fancies was 30k, but I am short by about the same ammount, I need a boat !
Old 02 August 2003, 10:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have one but been looking for years (and never done anything about it). Last time I looked you could pick up a good condition largeish RIB with a couple of nice engines for around £10k with a trailer and all the toys. For a rigid hull (i.e. lickle speedboat) with a good single outboard you can pick them up for around 4k.

Obviously, if you want new you are looking at a lot more.

Best bet is to pick up a couple of the boating mags from WHSmiths and have a flick through the ads.

Cheers

Ian
Old 02 August 2003, 10:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

What if you have boat?will you still get done for speeding if you have a fast one?????
Old 02 August 2003, 10:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only if you have a Jetski and show off in the swimming bit, go out to sea, no gatsos !
Old 03 August 2003, 08:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I've got a Shetland 5.7 metre cruiser. I use it for fishing at sea and it goes well enough with a 70 horse Suzuki. The cabin is handy because I can lock the fishing gear up in it.

It doesn't go at the speed of light but 25 Kts is not too bad flat out.

Les
Old 03 August 2003, 10:48 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

J4CKO

I just sold this clicky

On Scoobynet to a scooby owner
Old 04 August 2003, 01:05 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Talking

i own a 27ft Formula, has 2 inboard 5.7ltr v8 engines. Take it to Abersoch. Great fun!
Old 04 August 2003, 09:03 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

we got one earlier in the year - a 15 foot Bikini Dateline (similar to a Fletcher) with a 90hp outboard. Cost us £2,200

Excellent fun - we use it on Loch Lomond with water toys (just in the process of learning to water ski, enjoy 'scaring' each other with an inflatable ring etc).

Ignore all the doom merchants who'll tell you you get what you pay for etc. The rule of thumb is that the boat is worth sod all- you're basically paying for the engine/ trailer. We bought from a boatyard who'd had it stuck in the corner all winter and it was in the way and detracting from the flash stuff they were selling (they were advertising at £3000) - no warranty but they did tank test the outboard for us to confirm operating pressures etc - we haven't looked back and, apart from some tidying up of the electrics and the like, we haven't looked back. i.e. the key is to make sure the engine's ok.

Go for it!

Gordo
Old 04 August 2003, 12:38 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Why not have a look at an ex demo RIB? There are some nice ones to be found, which are certainly quick enough, and the prices are much better than new ones.

Another one might be to look for an ex raceboat, such as in 'Boats & yachts for sale' (is that what it's called?) (buy one from WH Smiths). You would find some really nice boats in there - an offshore formula boat micht be a good kind of start, but they aren't for the faint hearted. If you went to the London Boat Show, these are things like the Honda offshore powerboats:

http://www.honda-racing.co.uk/marine/f4s225/specification/

That kind of stuff! Nice boats...