Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Call centres in India.....

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 05:37 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turboman. How do you know it was India? Could have been Leicester (or Southall, or Handsworth, or Hounslow, or Luton.....)

Doug

[Edited by douglasb - 8/1/2003 5:40:47 PM]
Old 01 August 2003, 05:26 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Ringing for insurance quotes and notice dthat a few companies are using call centres in India....easily recognisable by the accent and accent of those in the background.

Personally I fund it a very frustraing experience as the guy on the other end had a hard time understanding me (strong Yorkshire accent!) and vice versa. Also he had no idea about certain things I was talking about........doesnt matter how well you train them they will never have a full understading of the UK way of life.....

And the quotes therfore took forever..NOT IMPRESSED!! A crap money saving idea me thinks....
Old 01 August 2003, 05:32 PM
Luke
BANNED

Cool

Do you reccon all the sex chat lines are been run from India???

Old 01 August 2003, 05:37 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Would you rather get a Mancunian accent?
Old 01 August 2003, 05:54 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Bravo...yeh it was deffo India, on one occasion I asked the guy and he told me ...........I dont really care about the accent, its more the communication problem that is the issue.....
Old 01 August 2003, 07:44 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I have to say I had a very frustrating call to the Dell support line yesterday. The nationality is irrelevant, I just could not understand a ******* word the guy was saying!

I was impressed tho, having been cut off and redailed, then on hold, got a call on the other line, first guy calling back.

David
Old 01 August 2003, 08:29 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

YES!!! DELL computers, BLOODY indian call center, ohhh that was hell - the guy couldn't understand me, even spelling things out using the phonetic alpahabet etc.
Old 01 August 2003, 10:05 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Well, I won't need Dell next time, I'm going to build my own

David

PS - Choice of 3 Dell Monitors for sale
Old 01 August 2003, 10:14 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

When i phoned up to order Sky tv, it sounded like the call centre was in india; had major call quality problem on the line too.

Thought it was a minor miracle when the card actually arrived, the girl was having that much trouble understanding!

John
Old 01 August 2003, 10:36 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

If you really have a problem with a call center, the only way it is ever going to get resolved is if you complain.

Unfortunately that probably means in writing to the head office in England.

Otherwise no one will know, and the companies will be satisfied with their cost cutting measures.

Steve.
Old 01 August 2003, 10:41 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hutchison or 3 as they are now known. Utter rubbish, always insist on getting put through to the Glasgow call centre.

The only thing that differentiates most companys is the level of customer service they provide - what do they do???? bstads the lot of them!!
Old 02 August 2003, 08:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I swapped over my insurance today after 12pm got connected to India.Took me 20 minutes to sort it out! I nearly gave phone to Turbohot-my girlfriend,who's Indian.Probably would havwe got it done in two minutes!The only thing what p1sses me off is,I was in India not long ago and I just wanna go back there! It was great....
PS- Everything in India takes 3 weeks to sort out.So,count yourselves LUCKY!!!!!
Rich
Old 04 August 2003, 02:27 PM
blue172
Scooby Newbie

I work for shell, and they are gonna move their IT helpdesk 2nd line etc to india in the next couple of years
Old 04 August 2003, 02:33 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Ordered an Indian takeaway on Fri night, F Me it arrived only 30 mins later ! The little dude must have travelled on the space shuttle or somefink. Christ knows how they make a profit with those delivery costs.

D

Maybe it wasn't space shuttle as it arrived in one piece.
Old 04 August 2003, 02:56 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have no problem with the Indian country, culture or peoples.

I do have a problem when such people are staffing help-desks or cold-call centres to service OUR needs. Do companies really expect us to be happy with staff who can't pronounce our names, or have little clue about the subjects they are discussing? Add in a time delay factor of half a second, just to make things worse... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Also, Am I the only one to think they're lying when they introduce themselves as "Steven", "james", "Karen, "Julie" Pull the other one!!!!

Oh, and when I say "NO" it means "NO"...

When I next deal with them, I shall be writing to the head office of the company concerned.

BTW - I have dealt with Indian companies before in the IT trade. They did loads of coding for one of our projects. It was delivered apparently tested successfully...

...I'd like to know how, seeing as it wouldn't bloody compile!

Suffice to say a court-case followed, whilst we re-wrote the entire project from scratch.

B*st*rds.
Old 04 August 2003, 03:02 PM
TheCarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

I think I'll grab and indian tonight now, thanks for helping me decide what to have for scran

cheers
Old 04 August 2003, 03:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Are you fast enough to catch her first CC?

Les
Old 04 August 2003, 03:43 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

You should hear the pronounciation of some of the Welsh place names by people I deal with in London ...and I only live in Newport
Old 04 August 2003, 05:10 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Many of the larger banks use India for their call centres. They have found that:

1. Its cheaper on start up costs
2. The buildings are cheaper o build & insure
3. The staff are paid lower sums than the UK based staff ratio of approx 1:4
4. Indian staff have gone out to get diplomas, degrees & other qualifications; something which many UK based staff can't be bothered with
5. Using latest sat technology; no one knows where you are calling
6. The Indian staff are trained to ask general questions based on the locality of the incoming call (how's the weather, how are Man U doing etc)
7. For most banks to be competitive in today's market, staffing costs are the greatest outgoings.....it makes sense to go to Deli....
Old 04 August 2003, 05:10 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

8. and they don't chat to each other while u are trying 2 ask questions

[Edited by fuz - 04/08/2003 17:13:01]
Old 04 August 2003, 09:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Being an Indian,can I say that British companies are still well on for exploiting the Indian economy as well as exploiting their own people( you face communication probs,don't you?).So far doctors are concerned,I wonder why Great Britain,being a developed country,depends upon the doctors from out there.I feel sorry for those people who are working in those call centres in India.I remember seeing a programme on telly a year or so ago on one of these call centres.One 18 yr old guy had left his hometown about 1000 miles away from Delhi and came to work in call centre in order to earn some money to treat his Mum's cancer.
And,I wonder how many of you are still playing with those footballs and wearing Adidas/Nike stuff made by those Indian kids?
I still agree with the communication probs.I myself feel frustrated when I am not understood by people in Indian Embassy at times.
So,make complaints to your banks and insurance companies,tell them to have their call centres here in GB.And,when they have to pay FAIR wages to people here rather,hope the competitive cheap insurance doesn't go down the drain!that 1:4 unfair trade might as well stop!

[Edited by Turbohot - 04/08/2003 21:39:06]

[Edited by Turbohot - 05/08/2003 00:30:27]
Old 04 August 2003, 10:28 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Turbohot..its a bit harsh to say British companies are EXPLOITING the indian market..hell no.....Indian GRADUATES are falling over themselves to get jobs in UK company call centres...hardly oppression by any means.

Besides which the pay is, in local currency, very very competitive and working for a UK company has a high level of kudos(sp?) that will hold them in good stead when( and if?) they decdie to move along......

Its a good idea for all those concerned bar the customer who gets a very irritating and unsatisfactory call......
Old 04 August 2003, 10:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Gareth - why are you complaining? It's not like you live in Abercwmboi, or Cymmer...
Old 04 August 2003, 10:38 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

I ended up being connected to a call centre located in India re car insurance! I couldnt understand quite alot of what he was saying, he also didn't have a clue about the problem I was calling about. He then transferred me to wrong number. Excellent, not.
Old 04 August 2003, 11:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

786,I am sorry I didn't mean to be harsh.I still will say that paying 1:4 ratio is not exactly pampering if not exploiting!
And Indian graduates? I will tell you about one of them! My brotherin India(22,Masters in Computers)builds a website for some GB company and gets paid 20 quid,not 2000 as promoised( I am not gonna quote the company name here; haven't got time for world war 3; too busy for that!) woman gets a credit to build it who went to India,used his hospitability and f**ked off back to GB!You know what my bro did,told her to stick that 20 quid and wished her good luck!Don't get me started on this,man! I am not on for any country/culture conflict here either.I was married to an Englishman and going out with a Welshman!That's not the context here.I know there is this communication bit blagging people.so,sort your companies out.Ask them to remove call centres from India and tell them to have them in Glasgow!
Old 05 August 2003, 07:39 AM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Old 05 August 2003, 07:56 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Of course there's always the issue of people in the UK losing the jobs too, I know its all about free enterprise but businesses are so wrapped in the bottom line its frightening, cheapest is not always best!
Old 05 August 2003, 10:42 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I work for a large insurer, the majority of our call centres are Indian based, however we do have some GB based ones to cover evenings. On the odd occasion when I have called them I have had a complete mare and eventually given up trying to explain whatever I need. Unfortunately the competition have then got my business.

Quick Reply: Call centres in India.....