Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Takin the mickey with the sick notes...

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2003, 12:54 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

A friend of a friend is currently off sick, she is pregnant (4 months) and has no intention of going back to work until AFTER the birth. In the last 9 months, she has been off work for 4 of them with this illness and that illness.

I 'kin winds me up that people are that 'kin lazy that they pretend to be ill. She has got an "open ended" sick note and intends to be off with "Stress related illness" until she can start claiming Maternity benefits.

Everyone thinks that because she is pregnant, her imployer can do nothing! That can't be right can it?

This person is an integral part of a sales team and by her not being at work, she is stopping people earning to thier full potential and they have to do her work to boot! The company cannot sack her (Or so it would seem) or replace her.

What would you do if one of your employee's was blatantly swinging the lead?

I know what i'd do [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Thanks for listening

Mikey <Pi55ed off cos he works hard and this lazy ****** gets away with doing naff all and laffin at me>

3000 posts Cool!

[Edited by Gridlock Mikey - 7/31/2003 1:00:04 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 12:57 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

I fcukin hate slack bastids.
People who have one sneeze and take a few days off. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 31 July 2003, 12:59 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

hmmm well i cant comment.

i have just found out that in my last year and a bit of working here...ive had 6 weeks off ill!!!!!

i know i am very prone to illness and ive had a hell of a run of bad luck over the last year...but i had no idea it was 6 weeks!!!

am very worried that this will reflect badly on me in future jobs.

Does she know how much time off shes actually had??????

Plus...it sounds to me like she doesnt really like her job much. I work in a very stressful environment and really dont like where i work at the moment, and although its not an excuse, i do tend to feel awful from the stress here, so i will take a day or two off until i feel better again.
i always think that my health is WAY more important than a job.

Old 31 July 2003, 01:02 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fair enough, but If she hates her job that much, surely she should quit and let others around her (That want to work) earn what they are worth. She's hanging in there on the sick so that she doesn't forfeit her maternity rights [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Mikey
Old 31 July 2003, 01:04 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

She's actually taking the Gridlock Micky then?
Old 31 July 2003, 01:08 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

true...but i guess shes thinking about her baby. if she left...she wouldnt be able to get another job. noone would want to hire someone that is going to take time off for a baby...and if she did get another job...she wouldnt be entitled to any decent maternity leave.

she has been taking the ****...but youve got to remember...pregnancy does do weird things to a gal
Old 31 July 2003, 01:08 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers spoon, took me 4 attempts to spell mickey to try and avoid that All to no avail then

Anyway, back to the skiving bint [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What would you do if it was YOUR company?

Mikey
Old 31 July 2003, 01:09 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Cool

I know someone who was genuinely off sick for four months. When they returned they still insisted on taking all their accrued holiday.

Old 31 July 2003, 01:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Mikey
You can replace her with someone on a temorarary cover contract if she is off surely??? Maternity cover or such like.

Had a similar situation and the person in question was working elsewhere. We gat a PI to trail and phoograph for a couple of days and nailed her ***!

Old 31 July 2003, 01:12 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

ask her if theres anything the company can do for her to stop her feeling as if she needs all this time off??
cut down her hours???
give her less stressful work to do, if it is stress that shes claiming is the reason for her absence.

other than that....i dont know.

i have no idea what the laws are about these situations...especially with a pregnant woman!
Old 31 July 2003, 01:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Maybe it was the boss man who put her in that position Mikey?

Go figure
Old 31 July 2003, 01:15 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

work for family then see how much time you can get off

the problem is, thanks to all the EU rulings, the employees get all the benefits, the rules are in their favour.

I can walk around my familys company and see some ******* taking the ****, personally some need a good slap but can you imagine the sort of **** that would get me into? All these ******* EU rules really wind me up.

on the whole, us as a nation are getting lazier. Sad really as manufacturing is damn hard to do at the best of times in the uk, let alone when some workers look to exploit rather than help.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

"ask her if theres anything the company can do for her to stop her feeling as if she needs all this time off??
cut down her hours???"

I am pretty sure that you cannot contact someone with work related stuff if they are off on a sickie. Could be wrong though.

It is a really tricky area, contact a solicitor who deal with employment law to confirm. The law stack up in favour of the employee in most cases and this can be abused by some.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:17 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

i wish had the choice to call in sick

if i'm i'll i have to prove it first by going in front of a doctor whatever the illness be it a common cold or full blown virus. Even then, 9 times out of 10 i'm given a tubi-grip, some ibruefen (sp?), 2 days light duties (ie no TAB's (thats Tactcial Advance to Battle BTW, not ****), drill, PT etc) and told to go back to work still feeling like sh1te

if i just phoned in sick and didnt turn up i'd be classed as AWOL.

Army, be depressed

[Edited by CHRIS_D - 7/31/2003 1:17:50 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 01:18 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

well arent you just a plug to join the army????

where do i sign???

[Edited by sexy wrx69 - 7/31/2003 1:18:49 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 01:20 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hire a hit man - got to be cheaper in the long run!
Old 31 July 2003, 01:20 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

you offering Rich?
Old 31 July 2003, 01:27 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Paul

We got a PI to trail and photograph for a couple of days and nailed her ***!
I'm sorry, does that actually mean that she got sacked, a description of what happened in the pictures he took, or just something you probably shouldn't discuss here...

Steve.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:33 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I know someone who was genuinely off sick for four months. When they returned they still insisted on taking all their accrued holiday.
Why shouldn't they?
Old 31 July 2003, 01:34 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

btw...quick survey..what sort of pay do you all get if off sick....

Full/part/none?
Old 31 July 2003, 01:41 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

full.

mind you...my works getting 2 weeks of my 6 weeks back from the third party in my accident...so its not like theyve completely lost out.

plus a lot of that time i either have...or have offered...to work at home. Not my fault if my boss doesnt get back to me telling me what needs doing is it???
Old 31 July 2003, 01:42 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

She was off last week "Stress related", went in for a morning, went home after 2 hrs claiming "Morning Sickness" rest of the week off. Go figure [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Almost as if the token 2 hrs work, wipes the slate clean again!
Then she went to the Fackin Safari park with her nephew AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!"! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

IF it were one of my employees, i'd sack 'em and go do battle in court. No jury in the land would say she was in the right. Called skiving, no matter what country in the EU your in.

As for the "Can we do anything to relieve stress" comment. Fair do's if the bint worked for the council, but she's in Sales for cryin out loud. Stress believe it or not is a motivator for sales people. Be good at your job, get paid bloody well, no stress.
Crap at your job, get paid next to nothing, might loose job next month if you don't perform. That my friends is Stress. All sales people go through the latter. It's what developes them into proper sales people. The ability to succeed and deal with stress without running to the Doctor.

She has no intention of even trying to be successful. For that reason I would sack her on the grounds of "Unfit for purpose" I would have employed her to sell, she can't, therefore sacked. End of story.
The job would have been explained to her and her contract would detail her role. She knew what the job entailed. She must have sat at the interview and said something like "Yes i can do that and i'd really look forward to the challenge" etc. Fackin' lying in my book!

That's what i'd do. Anyone agree?

Mikey <BTW I'm not having a go at pregnant women in the workplace etc. It's this womans attitude>
Old 31 July 2003, 01:43 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Full, but normally dial in and work from home. if i can get out of bed.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:46 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

6 months full, 6 months half pay, then pension rate plus incapacity benefit.

its 14 days leav.....erm i mean sick days per year before they start to ask questions. add that to 3 days flexi per month, plus 13 stat days and 30 days annual leave.

**** me do i actually work? that the civil service for ya

cheers

big sinky
Old 31 July 2003, 01:48 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

Gridlock....agree.

From what youve said...shes totally taking the pi55...pregnant or not.

at least when ive been off....ive actually been ill. and i work my *** off when im here.

Get rid of her.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:51 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Sick pay is one of he most contentious issues in employment (IMO). We work in a labour intensive sector, so sick is a real problem for us. Our contracts state that employees will be given statutory sick pay only, and any other payments that may be made are entirely at the discretion of the employer. The sad fact of the matter is that if everyone knew they would get full pay for going sick, absence would go through the roof and we would be uncompetetive. The discretionary bit allows us to give hard working employees a few days sick at full pay when we know it's genuine and they have a good record. If they are a lazy b@stard it's simply "send us the doctor's certificate and we will apply SSP (after the third day)".

Harsh but fair

Old 31 July 2003, 02:14 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mikey

I had one of my receptionists do nearly the exactly same thing but didnty specify (sp) the illness as work related, it is worth finding out from your HR department the european ruling on this.

It turned out that my receptionist wanted to take the maternity leave from a week before the expected date onwards, but if they are off for more than X number of days consecutivley upto 2 months (i believe) then the maternity leave will automatically start from that day onwards and she will not be allowed to return to work.

Also find out the wording on her contract concerning sickness, if she suddenly goes from full/half pay onto SSP that normally discourages 'Sickie days', also you are entitled to have her attend regular occupational health appointments not connected to her or your company for unbiased assesments.

HTH

Steve
Old 31 July 2003, 02:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There should be a new,more honest name for most employee abscence.

It should be called the......"god,i'm so bored with my job that i'll use even the smallest excuse to not come in today" form.

That,in my experience,is the REAL reason behind most "sickness".
Old 31 July 2003, 02:37 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Steve, I must stress ( geddit) that this does NOT relate to one of MY employees.

Mikey
Old 31 July 2003, 03:03 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I can symapthise with Mickey completely.

A friend of mine runs a garage locally and he has two members of staff that are a problem (the rest are just liabilities). This silly moo told everyone she was pregnant (21years old shacked up with a 60 year old Not that thats a problem but it sets the whole tone. He just got paid out after 25 years etc) And she didnt even realise about morning sickness until a customer mentioned it. Now she is off permanently with it, anties dying, stress (how can working behind a till be 'kin stressful) etc. Shes trying to coast it to the nine months so she can have maternity pay. Personally I believe the father is the guys son but thats beside the point...

She knows she has him over a barral and he cant sack her. I'd kick her into touch. The other problem member of staff is such a lazy s1ag that she wants to be sacked so she can claim dole rather than resign and keep her pride.

Id sack one of em, and give the other one 4 hours a week but not sack her The law can go and f*ck itself on this one if u ask me.

[Edited by Stueyb - 7/31/2003 3:05:09 PM]

Quick Reply: Takin the mickey with the sick notes...