Never over take a police Transit @ 65mph on the motorway

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2003, 11:55 AM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

== ME ==

Before I start this storey I am no Angel when it comes to speeding, especially on the 'B' roads, but fairly sensible, I drive with due care and attension most of the time.

=== THE INTRODUCTION====

I know I was foolish but thought I'd share my experience with you this morning as a lesson to be learnt, I was on the M1 doing 70mph (The national speed limit), decided I would overtake a Marked transit Van because he was doing in the region of 65mph and the traffic was light.

===THE OVERTAKING=====

So signalled and pulled into the fast lane and and over took him, If I'm honest I probably was overtaking at around 75mph but as soon as I overtook him he pulled into the fast lane and got behind me leaving very little distance between us, must of been within a few meters of my tail and the thought of a 2-3 ton transit hitting me in the rear worried me slightly, So decided to pull into the middle lane and let him past. He decided also to pull into the middle lane close behind me.

At this point I thought he's bloody close maybe I'm not going fast enought so increased my speed slightly to aound 75-77mph to try leave some safe distance but he kept on tailing me, so decided to pull into the slow lane and let him get past. At this point I'll be honest felt very intimidated by him. As Soon as I pulled into the slow lane he decided to pull me over.

So off I popped into the hard shoulder.

=== THE CONTACT ====

In an aggresive manner,

He came over to my vehicle and said just because you drive a fast car you think you can drive fast, your very ignorent over taking me i'm the police, you were doing almost 80mph at one point. And if I catch you doing it again I'll ave you.

I kept calm and got no fine or points and appoligised, even thought I was in the wrong I knew he was slightly out of order but he'd not issued me any points so just kept my calm.

=== THE SUMMARY ====

I do have respect for the police but in my opinion felt this officer was a bit of a bully boy who wanted to feel powerful.

I could of give him a hard time asked for his number but because the justice system is vastly corrupt It would of probably made matters worse, After all I was breaking the law.

I have now decided that I'm voting conservative for an 80mph nation speed limit. And won't be over taking any maked vehicles again, I sincerely appologise if I've offended anyone.

Maddy

Old 31 July 2003, 11:59 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he had a chip on his shoulder.. he wants to be traffic but only drives a transit..

..you get good ones and bad ones - I had an Omega traffic car catch me up at over three figures last week on the M4 - gave me a tut-tut gesture as he pulled alongside and then pulled away - couldnt have VASCAR'd me for 6 points but he didnt - nice one plod bloke
Old 31 July 2003, 11:59 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Always get a name and a badge number.

Only ogt your side of the story but even so unless his transit speedo is verified how the hell would he know how fast you where going, not all cops are the same, may have got one on a bad day.

He sounds agressive and is portraying a bad image for the Police and deserves to get reported for it.

If you had his details you could report him.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 7/31/2003 12:03:09 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 12:02 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

If he was doing 65 wasn't he speeding as well??
Old 31 July 2003, 12:04 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

seems like the chap was on a power-trip to me... I suspect that he wouldn't be a traffic cop, not driving a transit, and certainly not stopping you for what you describe.

Traffic cops seem to have a bit more sense about speed, particularly around the 70-80mph mark.

I would definitely write to the local station stating how inherently dangerous it is to have two staionary vehicles on the hard-shoulder, and that pulling a car over needs to have a serious and solid reason.

I would also point out that at 70mph I believe a car covers 96 metres every second, and the time gap that he left was nowhere near 2 seconds - assuming dry weather.
Old 31 July 2003, 12:08 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I thought there was an "unofficial" policy in some police forces to drive at about 65 mph on motorways so that people can legally pass them and they do not end up creating a massive bottleneck behind them. On this basis, I have cautiously overtaken many plod vehicles, and nothing has ever happened to me.
Old 31 July 2003, 12:09 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

i'd report him for tailgaiting !!
Old 31 July 2003, 12:13 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

GU5, 65 mph in a 70mph isn't speeding mate!

Maddy, sounds like you got stopped by a complete tosser mate, but rest assured we, I mean they aren't all the same.

However, I do find your
the justice system is vastly corrupt
comment a bit strong. Depends what you mean, as cops get complained about every day, sometimes justified, sometimes not, and they are dealt with accordingly.

Unfortunately, if your only gripe is his attitude then your complaint won't really get him anything than a slap on the wrists. Unfair I know but its the way it is.

Don't worry about the points thing, only cars with calbrated speedometers are able to "do" you or those with VASCAR, usually traffic cars.

As for demanding names and "badge numbers" (?), I personally wouldn't go there, especially if you think you are getting off, as you may find that this "red rag to a bull" pushes you over the threshold from "warning" to "ticket"

All IMHO of course!
Old 31 July 2003, 12:14 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I've overtaken police cars at indicated 75-80 with not a problem

Its not against the law to overtake them ffs
Old 31 July 2003, 12:19 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Traffic police usually sit 10MPH below the speed limit if not on a call on the motorway so trafic still flows, otherwise numpties who wont overtake just cause huge tailbacks.

I would have told the guy to **** off in no uncertain curcumstances and got his badge for dangerous driving, if what you say is true he is a moron.
Old 31 July 2003, 12:26 PM
jk100
Scooby Regular

I was bullied by a Police Vectra on the M4 last Sunday. He approached at well over 120 mph, with no lights or sirens. I saw him in my mirror and slowed to 70 mph but there was a car in the middle lane so I couldn't move over, so he flashed me with his headlights continuously until I slowed so I could fit in behind the other car on the inside. He then proceeded on his way at that ridicolous speed - again with no lights. Rules for some, and not for others...
Old 31 July 2003, 12:42 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry to hear that but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.. as others have said, probably a wannabe traffic cop who was jealous...if he takes his driving and policing responsibilities that seriously lets hope he never makes it.

Hope you dumped the clutch at 4500 rpm as you pulled off the hard shoulder
Old 31 July 2003, 12:47 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

GU5, 65 mph in a 70mph isn't speeding mate!
Aren't non car-derived vans meant to do 60?

Andy
Old 31 July 2003, 12:55 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs down

I would have asked him to prove it and then told him to **** off............I have respect for the police when they earn it (and most do) this guy sounds like an idiot.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:12 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

ive overtaken loads n=on the motorway no probs at all inc traffic

this guy must have been having a bad day . just dont judge em all the same ............ there ***** in all proffessons......
Old 31 July 2003, 01:17 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

If ever an officer acts like this, get their badge number (with or without his knowledge) and make a formal complaint about him/her. Make sure you see it through as it will stay on their record for their entire carear. Should help them to reconsider the use of their power.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do they still have a number on their uniform which is visible. I think that policeman was behaving in an unnecessarily unpleasant and overbearing manner. I have only been treated like that twice in my many years of driving and it is very upsetting.

I thought that if you exceed the speed limit to overtake then you are breaking the law.

Les
Old 31 July 2003, 01:29 PM
R11CH T
Scooby Regular

Dam Cops......People like this is the reason that people have a lack of respect for the Police and its a shame as 9/10 bobbys are sound.....Got pulled the other Day by a sound police man

Said he pulled me cause I looked alittle young to be driving around in my STI8....which is fair enough i'm only 23 and if I was a copper i'd pull me....and my plate is not 100% legal..never said a word about it.

I think reporting them is the best idea.....Hopefully will make them think twice next time...

Rich
Old 31 July 2003, 01:35 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

SiDhead,

The 60mph limit is for "car derived vans" in excess of 2 tonnes.

A 12 metre coach and a goods vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes can go 70mph on the motorway so surely a wee transit can......

speed limits

The only vehicles restricted to 60mph on m/way are goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes, cars towing caravans or trailers and articulated good vehicles under 7.5 tonnes.

Hope this clarifys

[Edited by talizman - 7/31/2003 1:38:19 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 02:04 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Yes there are always bad apples around, I still however have respect for the police. I may of been a bit harsh in saying the justice system is corrupt I meant it in the way of lets say I reported him and he got a rollocking then he may take it to heart and ask his friends in the force to be on the look out for me to give me a hard time. So felt it was'nt worth it unless he tried to issue me with points.

Anyway from reading everyones responce I may deal with it slightly different should anything similar ever happen again,

Thanks

Maddy
Old 31 July 2003, 02:35 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

cheers. I'm sure Merc sprinters shouldnt be doing 120 though

Andy
Old 31 July 2003, 02:46 PM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

you just got a bad one mate .
i got pulled over on the m6 on monday doing 95mph at about 6pm ish made me follow him to corley services(spelling?)went all round the car, tyres ,boot, bonnet the works not answering any of my questions, then his mate just burst out laughing .
turns out the driver was going to buy one on tuesday and just wanted to look at mine we got chatting ,they sat in the car had a quick drive round the car park .(leaving me next to a police volvo )
as he left i just got told to slow down nice car mate and we don't want to have to cut you out of it .

you do get tossers but most police officers are ok if you don't gob off .
Old 31 July 2003, 02:54 PM
saucy-scooby
Scooby Regular

Definition of a police traffic officer in a car (or Transit) :

Usually either new to traffic, thus trying to make a name for himself, or some old fart awaiting his pension, who has been driving for 100 yrs and is ALWAYS right.

Occasionally you get the combination of both types...in that case...erm....you're stuffed.

Therefore when proceeding down a road and you wish to overtake the fuzzbucket infront, aways give the driver a nice polite wave and smile as you go past.....

Then swear like a trooper at him for holding you up while he was driving below national speed limit, and should he then decide to pull you, just smile meekly, get his number, name and rank and report him for driving too slowly in the first place thus causing an obstruction.
Old 31 July 2003, 05:31 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Talking

PMSL @ Richard Askew
Sounds like he had a chip on his shoulder.. he wants to be traffic but only drives a transit..
Classic

If that would of been me I would have braked a bit sharpish make the ****** jump on his brakes as well that would of made him think what he was doing following that close and didn't they teach him anything at muppet school in police road craft any way I allways stick to about 75-80 on the motorways and dual cabbageways

Just about sums him up To$$er [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Huxley
Old 31 July 2003, 06:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

|Next time stamp on the brakes....

Bet he's jerking himself off thinking about it...
Old 31 July 2003, 06:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

jk100, you should have accelerated out of his way and pulled in, not slowed down, that copper could have been on a call and unable to use lights/sirens due to operational reasons. If he was flashing you and you knew it was a cop, i dont understand why you wouldnt do the fastest thing to get out of his way?
Old 31 July 2003, 08:12 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Wink

>I drive with due care and attension most of the time
Its a pity you dont type with Due care and attenTion
Old 31 July 2003, 09:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
the bit i dont understand is when u say youll now vote conservative now? notwithstanding they are unelectable buffoons, what big a deal is 80 mph, rarely anyone drives under 80 anyway. Im on motorways everyday.

[Edited by scoobynutta555 - 7/31/2003 10:32:18 PM]
Old 01 August 2003, 08:51 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

You should have told him to **** off
Old 01 August 2003, 09:06 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>I drive with due care and attension most of the time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its a pity you dont type with Due care and attenTion

or ALL THE TIME!!

Quick Reply: Never over take a police Transit @ 65mph on the motorway