Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Offensive weapon

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 01:40 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm coming back to the UK for a few weeks and obviously won't be able to bring the pepper spray I have here in France for road rage/carjacking incidents. Can I bring my extendable baton back into the UK without it being classed as an offensive weapon? Or is it a case of defending myself with nothing? I'm so sick of hearing about people being robbed/carjacked in the UK I intend to make a fight of it if anyone tries it on with me.
Old 30 July 2003, 01:49 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Basically you can't have anything that is obviously designed to be used to batter someone with. However if you happen to have a heavy torque wrench or similar tool in your car, that you were carrying around to help a friend change a wheel or something, and someone attacks you, and you instinctively pick it up and hit them with a proportionate and reasonable amount of force, then...
Old 30 July 2003, 02:02 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Maglite torch
Old 30 July 2003, 02:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also suggest a common car-related spray - WD-40, Mr Muscle screenclear, touch-up paint - which also just happens to be horrible to get in the eyes or mouth.

Chuckle - can you describe your attacker? Yes officer, he has a sonic blue face and tongue

Hope it doesn't happen for you

Brendan
Old 30 July 2003, 02:19 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thanks guys- I'll be taking my DD maglite and some choice sprays with me. I can't believe that an extendable baton is forbidden! I have a selection of weapons here for self defence including a shotgun I have for hunting! It's easy to forget the restrictions we suffer in the UK (if you are a law abiding citizen that is- otherwise a handgun cost the same as a good night out)
Old 30 July 2003, 02:21 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

why dont you just lock your doors...

if someone comes weilding a baton at me, they deserved to get hit with same weapon.
you cant fight fire with fire.

what happens if you attacker has a shooter, the mere fact that you come at him with a baton, could panick him into shooting you.

however, if you are unarmed, he might not consider you a threat.
and just take your car and leave you cacking it on the roadside - (unharmed, may i add)

your car is insured...you only get one life.

i have a 6" scar down the side of my face, from unarmed self defence, however, i could be have easily been dead.

grow up, you are not the terminator.

BB

Old 30 July 2003, 02:26 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

your car is insured...you only get one life.
Too true!

IIRC the pepper spray is classed as a firearm, under section 5 of the firearm act (I am sure BuRR will correct me if I am wrong). I carry a maglight in my car, for the purpose of using it to illuminate things of night, and that is the only reason that I have it in the car.
Old 30 July 2003, 02:28 PM
NACRO
BANNED

It's the muggings I'm thinking about as much as anything, no way am I going to let some toerag get one over on me. I'm able to defend myself but when some scumbag has a knife and is trying to rob you, best to have some insurance I think.

If I lived in the US I would carry a handgun, that doesn;t make me some kind of vigilante "terminator", in fact I'd say it's socially responsible to defend yourself. Particularly when you consider how much use the police are in those circumstances.
Old 30 July 2003, 02:41 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

I took up Aikido a while back, it's a martial art but is aimed at self defence, I would recommend it to anyone who feels that they may get physically threatened with anything other than a gun!!!
Old 30 July 2003, 02:52 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Talking

my uncle used to carry around this normal looking umbrella (the usual black businessman type) at the flick of a switch on the handle out would come a 25" blade

kev
Old 30 July 2003, 02:58 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Question

How can pepper spray be classed as a firearm ??? it doesn't shoot bullets..or is there a new product on the market
Old 30 July 2003, 02:58 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I box and have done for a long time now so I'm not worried about a bit of a ruck- what concerns me is the amount of knives and worse being used in the UK. You need to strike hard and strike first as far as I can see. There is no way I would be able to let someone take my car keys/rob me without a fight.
Old 30 July 2003, 03:00 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Section 5 (1)
(a) any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger.

(ab) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges.

(aba) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus.

(ac) any self-loading or pump-action smooth bore gun which is not an air weapon or chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either has a barrel less than 24 inches in length or is less than 40 inches in length overall.

(ad) any smooth bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm rim-fire cartridges or a muzzle-loading gun.

(ae) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus.

(b) any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing.

(c) any cartridge with a bullet so designed to explode on or immediately before impact, any ammunition containing or designed or adapted to contain any such noxious thing as is mentioned in paragraph (b) above and, if capable of being used with a firearm of any description, any grenade, bomb or other like missile, or rocket or shell designed to explode as aforesaid.

Section 5 (1A)
any firearm which is disguised as another object (e.g. walking stick).
any rocket or ammunition not falling within paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of this section which consists in or incorporates a missile designed to explode on or immediately before impact and is for military use.
any launcher or other projecting apparatus not falling within paragraph (ae) of that subsection which is designed to be used with any rocket or ammunition falling within paragraph (b) above or with ammunition which would fall within that paragraph but for its being ammunition falling within paragraph (c) of that subsection.
any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed so that a substance contained in the missile will ignite on or immediately before impact.
any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour.
any ammunition which incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on impact.
anything which is designed to be projected as a missile from any weapon and is designed to be, or has been, incorporated in -
(1) any ammunition falling within any of the preceding paragraphs; or
(2) any ammunition which would fall within any of those paragraphs but for its being specified in subsection (1) of this section.

[Edited by IanW - 30/07/2003 15:00:53]
Old 30 July 2003, 03:01 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

re Aikido, I should also have said that it will take some time to feel confident enough to tackle an attacker.....12 months
Old 30 July 2003, 03:04 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

...and they don't teach you to do it while seatbelted, through a half-open car window...
Old 30 July 2003, 03:06 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

b) any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing.

I stand corrected, u learn something new everyday.

So if u carry around ANY canister that can fire/squirt any liquid or gas you will be carring a firearm??.

So, if ur caught with a can of WD-40, hairspray or whatever u are by the terms of the above you are carrying a firearm, women empty ur handbags quick.

[Edited by Dazza01 - 30/07/2003 15:07:57]
Old 30 July 2003, 03:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I keep a big-boy Maglite in the car and one by the bed in case i have trouble with the car or the power goes out at home.

You cannot be too prepared these days.
Old 30 July 2003, 03:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Dazza01, it says any weapon. It doesn't say any canister or any object. The thing should already be a weapon by design, as pepper spray is. So I'd say WD-40 is safe.
Old 30 July 2003, 03:58 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Dazza, for ir to be classified as a firearm, it must be noxious.... what kinda hairspray do you use???
Old 30 July 2003, 03:59 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

So, if ur caught with a can of WD-40, hairspray or whatever u are by the terms of the above you are carrying a firearm, women empty ur handbags quick.
If you are carrying it for legitimate purposes then it is not classed as a firearm.

However, should you use it on an attacker then it is not being used for the purpose that it was intended and you could be charged with the use of a firearm under section 5(1)(b)

Pepper spray IS designed as a firearm and therefore would only ever be deemed as such.

Old 30 July 2003, 04:01 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Even WD-40 can be classified as an offensive weapon, depending on the intention of the user.

Any innocent item becomes an offensive weapon as soon as the user uses it as one... Think about how many young boys get arrested for swinging their belts over their heads like tomahawks...

I recall that the definition is....

"Any item, made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon, or to cause injury to the person"
Old 30 July 2003, 04:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The UK police would have had a field day with The A Team then, they could make weapons out of just about anything
Old 30 July 2003, 04:25 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

lol @ Paul

The UK police would have had a field day with The A Team then, they could make weapons out of just about anything
Old 30 July 2003, 04:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Wink

And that Mr T bloke, didn't he play Offensive?
Old 31 July 2003, 08:20 AM
TheCarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

I carry a hypodermic needle filled with red ink. Someone started giving me agro the other day and when I pulled the syringe I said it had aids in it.

he soon ****ed off
Old 31 July 2003, 08:52 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Hah ! The A Team !

MacGyver.

VERY offensive bloke. Made the A Team look like a Sunday outing and could make a nuclear warhead with just a soggy match and a bit of string.

Carry a fire extinguisher in the car as well as the Maglite
Old 01 August 2003, 04:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nacro

I think your point is right in that you need if you can to hit the guy once only but hard enough to discourage further attack on yourself. Make sure he is facing you too. I can't think a court would blame you for that. I don't think the law says you cannot defend yourself from injury yet anyway!

Les
Old 01 August 2003, 05:09 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Hate to put a dampner on all this , but have you not read the papers today ?
It seems that if you have a remotely desirable car, your'e not even safe at home any longer.
Couple of yobs smashed in the front door of a semi at 3 am and forced the folks to hand over their keys to their Volvo and Beemer 4WD, or, they threatened to decapitate the little daughter!
So , it doesn't really matter if you go out prepared or not, they now come calling door to door !
Old 01 August 2003, 05:13 PM
Luke
BANNED

Dont forget to modify any WD40/hairspray (And I am sure that some of the woofders here use it...the other lot from the scoobyball are mainly bald so might have a problem getting away with it.)

With a small lengh of straw etc cut to about 1 inch length and glued in. Gives a much better "shot"

Quick Reply: Offensive weapon