Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bi-wire speakers

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2003, 12:01 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna know if this will REALLY make a difference (i.e. not theoretically but actually sound better to the human ear) to my setup.

In case it helps, my setup is:
Arcam A65+ amp
Arcam CD62 CD player
Quad 11L speakers

If you've a similar setup have you noticed any tangiable difference or will I just be wasting cash on cable? I've heard it's only worth bi-wiring if you're bi-amping too which makes sense.
Old 18 July 2003, 12:14 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I have this setup not quite as audiophile as yours but anyways.

Mission 784e (lots more speakers but these are the only ones bi-wired).
Sony STA777es amp
Sony SACD player

On the back of the sony amp are bi-wire hook ups for each speaker or switchable to multi room.

the Missions have biwire ports on them too.

I originally had only 2 wires per speaker, I then purchased some very nice QED bi-wire cable and it made a massive difference. I then tried only using 2 outputs from the amp so i could use the multiroom config. and noticed a subtle difference (instruments dissapearing, flatter treble ect). SO restored the original setup.

So in short it made a difference on mine but it could just be down to the qed cable i replaced the original cable with.

Not totally convinced, My local hi-fi shop loans out cables (for a deposit) to try at home, might be worth looking into, they did the same with scarts ect too.

cheers

Peter
Old 18 July 2003, 12:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Very marginal. If your speaker cables are already separated to allow bi-wiring, then do it, but personally i wouldn't go to the trouble of having them specially parted, just because your speakers could accommodate it.

Upgrading the speaker cable itself will get you much more noticeable gains.
Old 18 July 2003, 01:03 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

speakers & amp support bi-wiring. the speakers have pins in them to join the 2 sets of connectors. If I bi-wire, all I need to do is add the extra cables in and slide the pins out, easy.

cable I currently have is Gale XL 189 which is a few years old but in good condition. now 99p per metre. Are there better cables that I'd noticibly tell the difference in sound quality?

I guess I can test the sound quality by un-wiring one speaker and wiring that cable into the speaker already wired (wiring to the same amp l/r channel of course!) and see if I can hear the difference. Problem is I can only test one side/channel at a time!

thanks for the help so far!

[Edited by Dracoro - 18/07/2003 13:07:04]
Old 18 July 2003, 01:08 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep, sure there are Drac. Like all these things, how much are you willing to pay? Give Chord Flatline Gold a try (or it might be marketed under the Nordost brand now), i'm pretty sure you'd like it, and as the name suggests, it has the advantage of being completely flat so goes under carpets and so on, if that's important. Last time i bought any it was about £7 per metre for bi-wire, it could well be a little more now. Definitely worth auditioning..