Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD player question

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2003, 01:34 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

I'm thinking about dragging my family viewing into the 21st century, so was wondering which cheapish DVD is considered the best around. I would prefer one that allows you to make it multi-regional and disables macrovision from the remote, and it should also have progressive scan.

Any ideas or other features I should look out for?

Old 17 July 2003, 02:00 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
click
try this a bargain !!

[Edited by scoobydooooo - 7/17/2003 2:01:24 PM]
Old 17 July 2003, 02:02 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Try this web site, http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php might give you some useful info. I've got a deregioned Toshiba SD210, top bit of kit !!!.
Old 17 July 2003, 02:11 PM
pthomlinson@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

why progressive scan?

it's just a gimmic at the moment and unless you've got a very new and flashy tv you won't get anything from it. It improves the picture on a projector, as in a very large home cinema setup - but seeing as you said "cheapish" I'm guessing it won't be for one of those...

IMHO a playstation 2 is a cracking machine although not what everyone first thinks of, but get the s-video leads for watching dvd's. you can also get an "action replay 2" cartridge which can change the region setting - and a proper remote control. you can get all that, plus a dvd and a game for under £200.
Old 17 July 2003, 02:42 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Got a Tosh 36" widescreen and prog scan makes a significant difference to the picture quality. If you want cheap though don't bother as a good prog scan DVD player is about £400+

One think you should do though is get a good scart lead. You would be suppried at the difference they make.

Si
Old 17 July 2003, 04:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Worth looking at new multi-format players to try and futureproof yourself a little. I got a Pioneer 656A chipped for multiregion for £320 (now 350). It play all region DVDs plus CD/SACD/DVD-A/MP3 (Floyd Darkside on SACD is superb, as is Clapton Reptile on DVD-A) and isn't phased by RCE copyright protection. There aren't many players out there now that let you switch off Macro, but there's also not that many Macro discs (it costs about £70,000 for the license so most studios don't bother) but if you buy your player from Techtronics you can buy a Macro chipped scart 1/2 price (£25). Mine works a treat.
There are more multiformats out there now but I've got mine so I don't look any more, and the Pioneer's a cracking machine. I would strongly recommend a decent AV Surround Amp to get the best from any DVD. Techtronics are currently selling off some old (but very good) Pioneer D811S for £290. Dolby Digital EX & DTS-ES (the dogs doodahs). Also worth a look are Denon/Yamaha/HarmonKardon/Sony.

When you've got it, you'll need some movies. Check out :-
www.play.com
www.playusa.com
www.cdwow.com
www.d9dvd.com (get big movies early-Malasian, Already shipping Pirates of Caribean, LOTR Two Towers, T3, Hulk and Italian Job)
www.deepdiscountdvd.com
www.dvdsoon.com (Canadian-cheap. New Alien Quadrilogy R1(all 4 films on 9 discs) £42 - Old UK Legacy 5 disc set £70, go figure)

Region 1 discs often have better sound/picture as they don't have to fill the disc up with as many languages as European R2, the packaging is often better (LOTR in particular). Plus you can get them sooner (in most cases). Superbits are great as they ditch the watch once extras in favour of a better sound/picture

Just done a quick check and AVLAND have the Pioneer 656A M/R for £280, bargain.

A bit long winded, but I hope I've been some help.

[Edited by corradoboy - 7/17/2003 6:43:09 PM]

[Edited by corradoboy - 7/17/2003 7:03:07 PM]
Old 17 July 2003, 06:08 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the 656A, love mine, but certainly wouldn't say it was "cheap".

L.A. Woman - The Doors on DVD-A is also excellent.

Cheers

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2003, 06:25 PM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Cool

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/5...vd-player.html

try here, they have already upgraded the machine for you plus you have a choice of brand names

Corrodoboy, looks like were thinking along the same lines with Techtronics

[Edited by Dazza012 - 7/17/2003 6:28:14 PM]
Old 17 July 2003, 09:21 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in the same boat guys, I have been using my PS2 with S-VHS lead, but since I got a new yamaha AV Amp and upgraded all speakers, its about time I sorted the DVD out, I have a 100htz 36" Panny, will the progressive scan make any difference as I thought it was for projector screen TV's only.

I want the Pioneer lets home they intend replacing it soon and its at RS for sub £200, well i can hope

Corrador boy , I've also got DSOTM onSACD and just listening to it through my Hi Fi on an SACD player it blows you away, that has to be one of the finest recordings I have in my 1000+ collection, close your eyes and you think da floyd are in your living room , I cant wait to get a DVD player with SACD to listen to it in glorious 5.1 shame the PS2 doesnt cater for SACD.

Any other SACD's worth listening too??

Dave

edited coz my spelling is w@nk, how about a spell check on SS for fat fingered buggers like me

[Edited by Funkii Munkii - 7/17/2003 9:23:54 PM]
Old 17 July 2003, 11:23 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

SACD's seem to be falling behind the race against DVD-Audio at the moment, IMHO.

Once you get through all the dross that is released on these two formats (was the same with CD when that first came out), there isn't that much new material. Of course, that doesn't stop me, I just replace all the old good stuff that was on CD (and vinyl before it) with the SACD or DVD-Audio versions.

Multi-channel versions of the two new formats are a bit hit and miss. Most of the time I just select the high bit rate stereo version rather than multi-channel. Even that sounds miles better than the CD version.

However, DSOTM is just excellent in multi-channel. The mixing of it is by far the best advertisement for this format.

Other stuff I like on DVD-A and SACD:

Vespertine - Bjork [DVD AUDIO]
DSOTM - Pink Floyd [SACD]
Lovebox - Groove Armada [SACD]
Vertigo - Groove Armada [SACD]
La Woman - Doors [DVD AUDIO]

Cheers

Ian

Old 18 July 2003, 11:53 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

FunkiiMunkii - The clocks at the start of "Time" are well freaky. I haven't got any other SACD's yet, just dipping my toe in the water so to speak. Unlike Mr. Watkins I won't be replacing my old formats, I hate being suckered by technology marketing (only the top 2% of my VHS stuff will ever be duplicated on DVD). The Clapton "Reptile" is simply very pleasant on surround, but the disc navigation is very frustrating. I can't seem to get it to stay on the DTS section (2) without reverting to DD5.1 (1) after 3 seconds, and there's a "Bonus" section (3) that has a password and IFIIK what it is.
There's another new format BluRay around the corner, but it's too bloody soon after DVD and I think it'll end up as the high end videophile snob choice. I hung on for ages before buying into DVD so I could get as comprehensive a machine as possible, and that'll do me for at least 8 years. My original audiophile CD, amp and speakers are 16 years old and I see no point in replacing them either. Choose wisely, and you only have to choose once.
Old 18 July 2003, 01:26 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

anyone used www.d9dvd.com as mentioned above ?
safe?
good quality ?
D5 DVD, D9 DVD ???wassat then ?
Old 18 July 2003, 02:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PG - I ordered LOTR Two Towers (5* version with DTS) from D9DVD.com on 3rd July, received it on the 11th. $15 (£9.44) and 1.5 months early. I don't know when they started shipping 'cause I've only just started using them but I'll be ordering more to get good stuff early & cheap. The image runs at about 4mbps, so it's as good as any single disc with extras. I bought it as a stop gap while waiting for the R1 4disc SE in November, and already have a buyer (£5) lined up to cover the outlay. The disc came in plain packaging with no invoice inside and labelled as a gift to annoy customs.

So far (1 disc) I'm happy with the service from them.

[Edited by corradoboy - 18/07/2003 15:09:20]