Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

On yer bike, to work that is.

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 01:25 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been ponderin this one for a few weeks now. I only live 5 Miles from work and a fair percentage of it is country lanes etc. Now I quite fancy this for a few reasons

a) Im a fat bloater (well I feel it anyhow) cause I don't really get much exercise now I jacked in the £90 per month gym (needed the cash). I think it would help me to get fit or is it one of those, you need to be fit to be able to do it.

b) People who already bike it to work - How do you manage to get to work and not be a sweaty minger after the physical exercise. We have no work showers here

Also would that exercise be worth doing. Ie biking about 50 miles a week? Doesn't seem much. Would it help me lose me spare tyre ?

c) Lastly, approx how long would it take to bike 5 miles for a real "beginner - not cycled for years)

The reason I ask this is because I think it will do a few things.

Firstly it will save petrol - not much but enough to make a difference.

Secondly, I *Need* to get fit but they gym bores me rigid.

Lastly, I think it would be enjoyable and get me all de-stressed for work, zooming through the country lanes

Only thing is, on some roads I think i'd be better on the pavement because the traffic is so heavy, in both senses of the word. I know its illegal (technically) but rather that than end up under a bloody scooby - think of the paintwork

The G/f is a miserable cow and says I couldn't do it and that i shouldn't be so stupid, but she can 'koff. She hasn't seen a bike in years either and has a lot more wieght to lose

[Edited by Stueyb - 7/16/2003 1:27:12 PM]
Old 16 July 2003, 01:31 PM
ChrisB

5 miles is 8km. I can do just over 9km in 20 minutes working pretty hard on a bike at the gym.

I'd guess to start with you'd be looking at 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the terrain. You'd also want to take it easy to start with to avoid having a heart attack

You're going to burn a good few calories every week, so it'll certainly help in the quest to lose weight.

Chris.
Old 16 July 2003, 01:34 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I used do cycle about 7 miles to work. I certainly lost weight. I could to the journey in about half an hour but I was quite fit back then. The main disadvantages were:

Arriving at work hot and sweaty (even in winter)
As there were no changing facilities I had to change my shirt in the toilets
Geting road rage
Getting more road rage and having punch ups with incosiderate drivers
Punctures and err.. road rage

I had to cycle through very busy main roads in london - it sounds a bit nicer where you are.

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 7/16/2003 1:35:33 PM]
Old 16 July 2003, 01:36 PM
bubblegum
Scooby Regular

Not riden a bike for ages myself. I would think that it would be best to really go for it on the way home, that way if you are a bit minging when you get in, you can jump in the shower. Allow extra time in the morning so that you are not rushing to get to work and I expect even this would be of benefit. Maybe have some shorts for when you are on the bike and change in the loo at work.
Old 16 July 2003, 01:44 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I cycle to work most, if not, every day.

It is 10 miles there, and 10 miles back. We have the luxury of showers at work - I really could not do it without a shower as turn up a sweaty mess - it takes me around 40 minutes as it is quite hilly and do it on a mountain bike and not gunning it.

btw, I am a fat b'stard too, but can whip most people's a$$ on a bike!

I have the luxury of cycle paths most of the way to work.

It DOES destress you, and it IS fun - FAR more fun than running or the gym.

It combines getting to work, and getting fit. Car takes 30 minutes (cos of jams), and bike takes 40 mins.....so not much time penalty!

GO FOR IT!

[Edited by imlach - 7/16/2003 1:47:15 PM]
Old 16 July 2003, 01:46 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS Punctures are a thing of the past.
Get some double skinned kevlar tyres - had 1 puncture in 2 years doing thousands of miles.......

Specialized Armadillos.....£17 and worth every penny.......
Old 16 July 2003, 01:49 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I think I will give it a go tommorow I'll report back on progress lol.

A couple more q's though. We have a good loo at work (it has nice big basins etc so i could get a strip wash in there. I mean who else is going to be in a 7.30 am ?

What should I wear to cylce to work (reasonable answers only please )

Old 16 July 2003, 01:51 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I wear lycra bib shorts and t-shirt.....

But they do really good looking normal shorts these days meant for cycling......

ie, things like these bike shorts

[Edited by imlach - 7/16/2003 1:52:07 PM]
Old 16 July 2003, 02:17 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've been cycling to work since February this year and really recommend it. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I sold my Focus RS because I wasn't using it enough and now drive a sh*tbox and cycle everywhere

My route is about 5 miles each way and 90% off road. I could shorten the journey by peddling more on the road but that is too dangerous/stressful and off road is actually fun !

I take a change of clothes. I just pootle in to work in the morning to avoid getting too sweaty and then gun it on the way home to get a good work out and I often take a detour to clock a few extra miles.

Fitness wise, it's definitely helped but I haven't lost much weight and think you could probably do better exercise if that was your main aim.

To answer your question about time. It takes me about 20 mins of cycling which is only 5 mins more than the car but then you add some more for changing clothes etc so it does mean getting up 10 mins earlier but the fresh air and lack of congestion is well worth it.

Do it !!
Old 16 July 2003, 02:22 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stueyb,

You don't need anything fancy for cycling, just something that's light and will dry quickly. If it's sunny, I just wear a pair of shorts, my running shoes and a Helly Hansen base layer t-shirt as it wicks away sweat. Don't wear cotton t-shirts as they hold all the sweat, make you cold and you'll stink to high-heaven. Get a lightweight waterproof and windproof jacket it case the weather changes and some Traksters if your legs are cold.

The biggest hassle is carrying your change of clothes everyday, but you could move part of your wardrobe into the office

Also drink plenty of water. I know it's only 5-miles, but you'll lose a lot of liquid and with the wind blowing in your face you won't feel thirsty or dehydrated. Then you go to step off the bike and get cramps in your calves or hamstrings - not pleasant.

Here's a graph of my heart rate on a 16-mile run around the country roads where I live. It's very hilly, so there's a few bit's were my heart rates high, but it just goes to show that you will get a major benefit; especially if you do it everyday.

A fast walking pace is 4mph, steady jog is 6mph, so you should be able to cycle at least as fast as a jog even if your not used to it. It really depends on the amount of hills or if the route undulates along, but I reckon you should give yourself 45-60mins.

Just go and enjoy it,

Stefan
Old 16 July 2003, 02:39 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
I live about 7 or 8 miles from work, and recently managed to cycle there and back. Took me about 50 mins one way - that's from leaving desk, changing out of work clothes and cycling all the way home. I'm not the fittest person on the planet either, although I play an hour or so of badminon once a week.
Felt it a bit the following morning.
But now I've got a puncture...
Old 16 July 2003, 02:48 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

I used to cycle to work before I bought a car and when my old Impreza was off the road for ages.
Only 3 miles, but there was a nasty hill either way that made up for the lack of mileage.

Very enjoyable and kept me more fit in addition to the order picking in minus twenty five degrees centigrade for 12 hours.
Old 16 July 2003, 02:53 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

The more I think about it the better it sounds. Thanks for all the encouragement. I have even worked out a better route to work, which means I can avoid the heavy traffic, cut off about 1/2 a mile and also do some off road too (little forest type thing that runs by the scenic river )

Im off to asda tonight to get some shorts and stuff to prep for tommorow.
Old 16 July 2003, 04:09 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I live 8 miles from work can do it anywhere between 20mins-45mins. Depends on weather. I go quicker in the cold/wet.

Also roads clear at 6 am