Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bath, Somerset: Anyone live there ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 10:39 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone has already mentioned - make sure you know which MoD site you're gonna be working at. Foxhill is the opposite side of the city to Endsleigh (the one on Landsdown). Mind you, is Foxhill still open? I know a lot of it was moving across to Abbey Wood (Bristol), but don't know if it all was.

Live in the Royal Crescent! Then you're nice and central!!

Edit cos I is stoopid!

[Edited by V5 - 7/4/2003 10:41:10 AM]
Old 04 July 2003, 09:46 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Possibly looking to jump jobs to take up a post at the MoD in Bath.
Does any 'netter live there and where's the best place to look for a property to buy, amenities, shopping, boozers etc ?

Old 04 July 2003, 10:11 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice place
Old 04 July 2003, 10:11 AM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Nice place, Fkin expensive for houses though. Nice bars/Restruants but very touristy (americans) in summer, the centre is full of beggars and smackheads !!

Best bet is to have a weekend down here before you take the plunge
Old 04 July 2003, 10:14 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Where's the nearest decent village from Bath that would be commutable (within 10-20 mls) ?
Sounds like a decent place from website info I can gather but I'd much prefer personal experiences.

Beggars and smack'eads....sounds like Edinburgh as well !
Old 04 July 2003, 10:19 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I used to live in a little village (Westwood) just outside Bradford on Avon . Superb spot and easily commutable (well it was 20 years ago )

I think that nowadays though it is important that your commute does not cross the city, as it'll be time to leave by the time you get there!
Old 04 July 2003, 10:24 AM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

If its the MOD at the top of Bath (lansdown) then theres some very nice villages out that way, I live about 20 miles from the centre and it takes only 15-25 minuites to get in to work in the morning. Find out where you would be working and then plan your house hunting around that.
like someone said in an earlier post getting through Bath is a nightmare, but there are some easy routes in.
Cheers
Old 04 July 2003, 10:25 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I live chippenham side of bath. bath is a nightmare to get into at rush hour.

As said already Bradford upon avon is lovely, but there are loads of gorgeous villages around this side..

Paul
Old 04 July 2003, 10:28 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bath is a top, top place! Lived there from 18-22 years old (left in '95) whilst working for the MoD, and had a fab time! Might be something to do with the fact that we live in The Royal Crescent!! Fantasic!

It's defo not cheap, and the traffic can be terrible, but don't let that put you off. The town centre is compact but has most things you need, including plenty of decent pubs!

It also has the best Rugby team in the land!! (Ok, ok, I know that's not quite so true nowadays ) There used to be nothing better than a pint in The Boater, over to the Rec, grab a pint from the clubhouse, watch Bath pound some poor unfortunates, and then off into town for a cracking Saturday night!

God I wish I still lived there. Far, far superior to the south-east.

As for just outside Bath, well there are some cracking roads that are well worth a blast!

Ok, enough now! I'm probably boring you, and certainly wishing I was back there!

HTH in some way!

Iain
Old 04 July 2003, 10:31 AM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Medders, I live near Kington St M. and always straight in on a morning (took me 20 mins today) I use the A420 and then down Lansdown. I tried the A4 a few times and that was taking me at least three times as long.

might be worth you looking at a longer route, certainly works for me.
Old 04 July 2003, 10:31 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Lovely place, but choked with traffic. Commuting in and out would be a nightmare. As most others have suggested live somewhere outside the city. It also very expensive property wise in the city. Fun place though.

UB
Old 04 July 2003, 10:38 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

cheers pblakeway. I dont go in that often so haven't been very adventurous in my route choice.

We didn't choose Bath hospital when we had our daughter recently purely because of the traffic !

Paul
Old 04 July 2003, 12:45 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There's also an MOD place in Bathwick.... lived in Bathampton from 8 till 18....

I too frequented The Boater, then the REC, then The Lamb, The Rummer, The Saracens Head, The Assembly, Savills, The Hub, Kebab shop, then the taxi home on Saturdays... it used to be the underage drinking capital. I could drink 10 pints of stella and still walk when I was 17....can only do about 6 or 7 now

There are rumours that the whole of Bath Town centre will be pedestrianised. They started a few years back by closing Pultney bridge to traffic, not to get into town from Bathampton you have to drive down past the Cricket ground.

Various parts of the Town get periodically closed off due to filming.... One thing to watch when buying a house is that the WHOLE town is a world hertitage site. There are lots of bricked up windows in the centre which people can get planning permission to unblock! All the houses have to be built using "Bath" lime stone! Buildings are listed inside as well as out, buying a town house will leave you bu66ered really.
Old 04 July 2003, 03:05 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't forget the Grapes, Dan. It was always into the Grapes for Final Score on a Saturday! Happy times!
Old 04 July 2003, 08:28 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

I thought the MOD sites in bath all moved to abbeywood at filton.?
Old 05 July 2003, 04:06 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Could you stop being so bloody enthusiastic please V5!

Us out of towners still regard it as a cool place even though your old haunts are now all gay bars ( or were they always? ) and please stop showing off about living as someones bitch in the Royal Crescent.

Not big (he may have been ) and not clever ( MOD you say ? ).

Final notice, Bath is Gay and rubbish, please do not come near the place, anyone, ever,.....unless of course you are willing to buy us all a bint or two
Old 05 July 2003, 09:58 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Talking

ROFLMFAO @ wiltshire_boy!!

Just to p!ss you off a lil more....the MoD payed our rent whilst living in the R*y*l Cr*sc*nt!!

And we were mere apprentices!

Pint buying is possible, don't think my wife would be too keen on me buying bints!
Old 05 July 2003, 11:37 AM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Smile

shame.
Old 07 July 2003, 10:36 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

It was out of town wiltshire farmers boys that sent the place gay in the first place