Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Working from home - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2003, 07:04 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For well over a year now, I have been working from home,one day a week. Work provided me with a laptop which I use to dial in from home, also I use the laptop the other days at work, as there is no permanent pc at my desk.

When I applied to work from home, the reason given to my manager in an email, was to look after my 3 year old daughter while my wife worked her one day a week. This meant me dropping off my little one early in the morning, working till lunchtime where I picked her up from nursery and then just being there for her while I worked from home in the afternoon. This was agreed upon and as I said for over a year, I have worked like this. I have always produced loads of work while working from home and to be honest, I usually get more done at home than at work. Also I have had numerous praises in the company for my work and have even been nominated for a european wide award.

Imagine my surprise today when I was told that due to company policies, my laptop would have to be given up. The reason being that new laptops would be given to managers who spend more than 25% away working from the office! Also I was asked to repeat the reason why I was working from home, which I did. I was then told that this was not a valid reason working from home and that being in charge of a child while working from home was not an ideal policy!! Even though I know of several other people in the office who work from home due to looking after their children!!! In fact I was even told that the agreement I signed was a general agreement allowing staff to work from home as and when required!

As this has totally throws a spanner into my personal circumstances, I am not sure what to do. Work has even suggested that I go part time, so I can spend one day at home while my wife works. This is not practical due to financial implications. Also they have suggested I pay a childminder, again not financially viable. My wife is of course very upset by this. She has recently started up her own business, more like a hobby really and when I am off, it is her only day where she can get out to do research, meet people etc, during the rest of the week it is impossible, the only other time she gets is on an evening and that is very limiting.

So this week I have to go and see a manager and they are going to discuss other options, ie part time etc, ie none of which are really applicable to me. What I want to know is where do I stand? Can I insist that they provide me with a laptop so I can work as I am at the moment? There is no reason I can see why the work I do has to be done in the office, after all I am in the office the other 4 days of the week, so all meetings etc are always on days when I am in the office.

Do I sit tight and ask them to come up with reasons why I have to work in the office?

What about these new EEC directives where work has to listen to flexible working plans? Can I not put in a working procedure that I would like work to adopt to my situation?

I have also realised that by not working from home, I will be worse off. My wife won't be able to work, so no income on that front. I will have to pay extra petrol money(extra 50+ miles a week)OR we pay for a childminder and still be worse off.

I just can't understand the complete turnaround by work. In fact I even had broadband installed at home and one of the reasons was to aid in working from home. In fact just last week, I had some replies from work on how this might be able to be done connecting to work.

Can anyone help or provide some advice?
Sorry for the long post!!
Old 30 June 2003, 07:44 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

We've just had something round at work about this but as it didn't apply to me I didn't take much notice

have a look at
parents & flexitime

and

general lists of info for some ideas...

Apple

[Edited by Apple - 6/30/2003 7:45:25 PM]
Old 30 June 2003, 07:53 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

FBS,

I work from home full time (i.e. pop into HQ once every couple of weeks). However, I know all the other homeowrkers (full and part time) where I work so I'll ask to their views.

Anyway, it is now a legal requirement for employers to "listen" to requests for flexible working for those families whose children are under six years of age (that'll be you then) under this new EEC directive.

If the cost is the only thing bothering them you can throw in the fact that if you were in the office full time, they would have to supply you with a PC anyway.

Cost of Laptop - Cost of PC = Not a lot of difference to business

I guess your options are as follows:

1. Point out the fact that they have to "listen" to your reasons. I think they are doing this by asking you to a meeting. I suggest you write down a load of bullet points about why you working at home is a good thing for the business as well as yourself. It is a very emotive subject (I've had my moments I can tell you and I don't even have kids to consider) so make sure you get across every point you want to make without getting too emotional about it.

2. Offer to buy your own laptop for home use but they will have to buy you an office PC. (Not a good idea as that may backfire and they may call your bluff). I actually think it may be against your company policy to use your own equipment for their work anyway. It is for many people I have spoken to who home work. Probably soemthing to do with H&S rules or something.

3. Consider a compressed work week. I.e. if you are paid for 37 hours a week, consider working these hours over four days (additional 1.75 hours a day) and have the fifth day off to look after your little girl. I know several people who do this and it seems to work OK. Sounds like your commute is fairly short, so it wouldn't be too bad.

OK, so the hours are longer but you get a three day weekend or a week broken up by a day off. You would be suprised how useful a day off in the week can be for jobs like shopping, visiting DIY stores etc. when it is quiet. This also gives you more time off at the weekend as you have done all those jobs in the week.

If you did have a full day off in the week you could actually spend time with your little girl as well rather than working and trying to keep an eye on her.

4. Try to convince them that you working from home is a good thing. If your family is happy, you are happy, if you are happy, your work improves. Lots of studies on this. Sounds like you are like me, i.e. can really produce some good stuff while at home. I would force this point.

OK, if you were trying to look after a new born child, work isn't really that easy. But a three year old will generally look after themselves for a few hours anyway. Check with the manager you see that they have kids as it will be easy to explain that fact to them.

You want the status quo so you need to find a way to get the business to buy you a laptop. They may well be grants available for home workers, take a look.

Also, stress the environmental impact of you driving in every day, you are saving the enviroment those CO2 emissions, you are saving the business heating/lighting/power costs for one day a week (and conversely you pay them for your home). You are saving them a parking place for one day a week. etc. etc. OK, they are all thin reasons but it proves you have thought about it plenty.

5. Don't threaten to leave but explain you would have to reconsider your position with the company if they forced you to return to the office for all five days. Only use this as a last ditch. No one likes threats.

Option 4 would be my choice within the constraints you suggest followed by option 3.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 June 2003, 09:52 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian for a comprehensive reply, much appreciated.
I've been looking at the flexible working rights that were introduced this year and working from home is one of them.

I too have sat down and came up with more or less the same points that you have arrived at.

From what I can work out,the main reason why they want me to stop working is this new laptop policy, where I am not away from the office on business trips more than 25% of my working week. If I put in an application under the new eec rules, then I don't think their excuse would wash!

Plus as you said, the only difference to them is that instead of getting me a laptop, they would have to get me a desktop if I worked 5 days a week in the office. And as the cost difference between the 2 is minimal then it is one option where I could 'volunteer' to pay the difference. Mind you, I don't see why I should, but it is an option!

Also the fact that they have stated that my present reason, looking after my 3 year old child on an afternoon is not viable anymore seems to be at odds with why the government has brought in a new policy to help families out in the first place!!! Even so that 'argument' can be quashed as my little one turns 4 soon and will be starting proper school. My time will be spent dropping her off at school at 8:40am in the morning and picking her up at just after 3:00pm, enough time in the day to get my work done, compared to trying to arrange to get into work at 9:30 and leave at 2:20pm to get to the school. 4 hours 50 mins in the office and the worry about getting to the school on time (it is 25 miles away) compared to just over 6 hours at home, and only a short walk away from the school. No competition!!!

I think I will apply for flexible working arrangements under the new rules introduced in April 2003 and go for working from home, one day a week, which I have done for the last year! From what I have read, work would have to come up with a really good reason why I couldn't! At the moment, I cannot think of a good enough reason they could come up with!!

Anymore thoughts from anyone....
Old 30 June 2003, 10:07 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Smile

My only advice is to tread softly
Old 30 June 2003, 10:47 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a union rep. mate of mine.

Basically, you have the right "to have your employer listen to your case for a flexible working arrangement and to give it due consideration".

I.e. they have got to listen and by "due consideration" give some good reasons why not.

E.g. if you make your case and they consider it, give reasons, but ultimately say no, that is OK. However, if they won't listen to your case or don't give any reasons why they are saying no, then that is wrong.

Legal disclaimer - We were down the pub, so legal stuff could be incorrect but the jist sounds about right

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 July 2003, 09:54 AM
bubblegum
Scooby Regular

Fast_blue_scooby not sure how much your combined income is but if you earn upto £25K between you and if you use childcare that is part of some scheme mentioned on this site
http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk/index.asp
then you can get 80% of the cost back.