Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sugar Butties!! They've caught me..

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2003, 08:26 AM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Bug$er, just had the letter from the local constabulary and have been caught by a speed camera. Annoying thing is it's a fixed installation that I pass every day to and from work. 39mph in a 30, my lapse in concentration, dosey I know.

Anyway does anyone have a reliable rapport with a laser/radar detector, I hear the Road Angels are pretty good, whats the general concensus.

Cheers.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:39 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

U muppet!! I'll show u my Bell Euro 550 tomorrow!!

Look here..........the Bell picks up all apart from the Infa Red cameras.

http://www.radar-detectors-uk.com/

If you search this site there will be loads of views/info on speed camera stuff.

Off work sick right now! Will be OK for the beers.........

[Edited by matt.bowey - 6/27/2003 8:50:33 AM]
Old 27 June 2003, 08:51 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I used the Bel Euro 550 which I find works very well on the Gatso's etc!

Dom.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:55 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

How long did it take for the NIP to arrive? Got to be dated within 14 days of the offence.
Old 27 June 2003, 10:57 AM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do, please look at http://www.safespeed.org.uk/unsigned.html and read the whole page before you take any action at all.
Old 27 June 2003, 11:42 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good advice, Softwizz. The 'unsigned' route is the one to take at the moment, until the law is clarified.

Basically, European Court legislation doesn't allow self incriminating evidence to be admissible in these circumstances, so you have the right to refuse to sign the admission statement....
Old 27 June 2003, 12:11 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice chaps, I currently have 3pts on the licence at the mo which I think clear after 3 years in March next year so when my insurance is due for renewal I will still only have 3points.

SP30 and £60 I assume taking into account 39mph in a 30mph will probably be the outcome, is the court route and the dodging the law recommended. I'm not chicken nor incapable of putting a decent letter together but is it worth the hassle under these circumstances.

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2003, 12:22 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

You still have to declare you convictions for 5 years mate on insurance, so they will still take it as 6 points for afurther two years
Old 27 June 2003, 12:22 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

try ukspeedtraps site everything on there is good advice IMO both the reviews & way to handle NIPS
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 12:32 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

Surely if convictions are off your license, then insurance companies or anybody has no right to know about them. unless a claim was involved.
Old 27 June 2003, 01:00 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Surely if convictions are off your license, then insurance companies or anybody has no right to know about them. unless a claim was involved.
If they ask, and you dont tell em, you in da poo poo.

You're getting a service off them, they could ask you what you did when you were 12 and you'd need to tell if you wanted their wares...

I think

~Jules
Old 27 June 2003, 01:13 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Steve 777,

Cheers chap, I was under the impression for the first 3 years it went against your insurance and that it remained on your licence for a total of 5 years before it could be removed. It would be nice to know for certain.
Old 27 June 2003, 01:26 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

It depends on the insurance company. They could ask "do you have any endorsements on your licence?", or they could ask "have you been convicted of any driving offences in the lkast 5 years?".
With D&D, I think they can be interested in up to the last 10 years as it's such a taboo.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:05 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

W2DWB, By law u have to tell them who was driving BUT u do not have to SIGN it, there is no law which says u have to, they may send u a letter back quoting "Section 172 of the Road traffic act 1988" to argue their case, unfotunately for the police, section 172 doesn't state ANYWHERE that the form has to be signed, check it out....
Section 172 of the road traffic act 1988 section 2 reads as follows,

(2)Where the driver of a vehicle is alleged to be guilty of an offence to which this section applies,
(a)the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by, or on behalf of, a Chief Officer or police and..

(b)any other person shall, if required as stated above, give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.

BUT IT DOESN'T STATE YOU HAVE TO SIGN IT.

There endeth the lesson........
and by the way it MUST be sent to you within 14 days from date of ALLEGED offence (give 2 days extra for post)as i got 1 one the drop on my door step on 21st June, but the alleged offence was 15th May so in law its not enforcable, as www.five o .com (under speeding ticket) have told me, there are a couple of but's on there so check that iout as well

right now back to bed after that lenghly sermon.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Mungo, D&D stays on the license itself for 10 years I believe
Old 27 June 2003, 03:07 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Question

So has anybody sucessfully got off by not signing the NIP?
Old 27 June 2003, 03:35 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Dazza my understanding of the 14 day thing is that they have to of tried to send out NIP within 14 days if it doesn't turn up etc that's irrelavant! which is why most dont do recorded now since they will theoretically i guess have records of when it was sent out
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 04:15 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Talking

Si,
My NIP was printed on the 19th June and arrived on 21st, date of alleged offence was the 15th May.
And as this was the 1st NIP in law it is not enforcable, already spoke to a solicitor and posted a comment on five o just to make sure.
Posted my letter to the ticket office yesterday will let u know what the outcome is when i hear from them.
Old 27 June 2003, 04:39 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

ok good luck to ya just if it was a second print off & they can show they had sent out the "original" within 14 days & sent out then u maybe outa luck at a guess.....
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 04:53 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

matt.bowey, there have been several documented cases where people *did* get off by not signing i.e. were prosecuted unsuccessfully or appealed successfully - also there are many cases where people have not signed and have not subsequently been prosecuted.

There are also now a few recent cases where people not signing are getting prosecuted under S172, but the general belief is that the police are not (yet) on safe ground going ahead with these. It all depends on the outcome of the Yorke and Mawdsley case which will be announced on 2nd July. Watch this space!
Old 27 June 2003, 05:05 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

normal points count for toting up for 3 years, stay on your license for 4 years and count for insurance for 5 years

i should know i got 9 points
Old 27 June 2003, 05:18 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Question

well i've looked over the NIP and cant find anything on it that says its the second attempt, plus if u dont respond in 28 days dont they take u straight to court ????
Old 27 June 2003, 07:43 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

check out the previous links there are many options but my friend found asking for evidense etc even when confronted with demanding letter that it wasnt policy to supply this with the demanding money with menaces style letter as per link resulted in no further response & 6 months down the line i believe he is clear of any court action now & he signed it as well but while there's still potential loop hole i'd give that a try also
Theory is being a pain means it aint fiscally rewarding for them so dont follow thru (oh can be nasty if you follow through lol)
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 07:44 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

you'll probabl;y just get lots of friendly reminders if you dont reply in 28 but they dont wana take you to court IMO but scares many into just coughing up init [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 07:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

i'd send it back with name but unsigned & inquire about evidense & 14 day thing & take it from there (keep copies & do recorded del)
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 10:48 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Si, good advice.

I once followed through laughing at one of ur other posts.

I will go with the unsigned route plead ignorance and await further correspondence, then go for the photographic evidence and calibration certificate. That might stall em a bit, and it's perfectly within my rights.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Old 27 June 2003, 11:30 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

which central ticket office (CTO) place sent you your NIP then outa interest? Rugby way i recall my friends was & he basically followed the letter thats on the UK speed trap site when they generously offered points & pounds with a few additions about him being worried of the possibility of it being a cloned vehicle without them at least showing him the pikkies + with the nature of the demanding money with menaces line strangely silent after that bonus (for him) dont get yer hopes up i guess wood also be good advice just incase eh
as a Derby type have you considered going to the meets, there's a convoy going from Derby/notts this sunday to the Jap auto performance show thing & Next sunday i'm trying to get scoobies going to Derby skyline, RX7 etc meet
Si [thread hijacktastic]
Old 27 June 2003, 11:31 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

touchclothtastic also lol
Old 29 June 2003, 09:16 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Ayup Si,

NIP is from Ripley, Derby's Police HQ as you probably know.

Yeh we oughta get in on this local meet scene, couldn't make today just got back from London having done the Monopoly board pub crawl. Cripes it was brownstripetastic mate. Me and a mate who brought my first Scooby will probably turn up at the next bash. Where and when?

Oughta get this thread transferred now.

Cheers

Dave
Old 29 June 2003, 09:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah details on the above link (or at least links on location etc in the above link ) for the meet where, when etc.....
Good luck with the NIP then & bring on the scoobies
Si