Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

mountain bikers - fork service ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 01:44 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

here's the deal, my 98 riftzone (manitou sx up front) has never had a fork service, yet work as well as they ever have.

they're oil damped and havin downloaded the pdf, cant believe how *many bits* there are inside, with the usual 'failure to do this right may result in death or injury clauses'

question : is it worth getting them serviced ? will i see a performance improvement ? how much is a fork service likely to cost ?

ps. how bout a moutain bike forum on scoobynet ?
Old 24 June 2003, 01:56 PM
sambo sei
Scooby Regular

yes its def worth getting them serviced properly especially if you don't know wot you're doing. i got my old rockshox totally stripped and serviced by rockshox and it made an enormous difference, even fixed the damping properly. i now have '99 Z1 Bomber's which are in desperate need of a service, honestly there is a huge difference once u have them serviced properly.

edited to say: don't worry about the injury or death clauses, they're plastered all over the Z1 instructions, warning u not to jump or do downhill riding, even tho it says on the front of the manual "downhill fork"...

[Edited by sambo sei - 6/24/2003 1:59:36 PM]
Old 24 June 2003, 02:58 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

i have a new set of judy xc's on my bike how often should they be serviced anyone?
Old 24 June 2003, 07:17 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My Judy XCs haven't been serviced in 7 years. Admittedly, they had a 3-year break when I wasn't riding them but...

They work absolutely perfectly (another 2" of travel would be nice, but that's another story). The top caps are missing though, so when I went to get 'em serviced the bike shop wasn't sure whether they'd be able to reassemble them once they'd taken 'em apart. So they advised me to ride 'em until they seize (hopefully just before they seize actually ) and then replace 'em.

With luck, though, I'll have a new bike by then, as the Judys (and my frame) don't have mounting points for disks....
Old 24 June 2003, 07:59 PM
J4MES
Scooby Regular

I have Judy's on my Specialized FSR. They've never been serviced, and I've had the bike four or five years from new, but I have a tub of Judy Butter(?) and an instruction manual for when they do need it!

However, as I haven't ridden the bike for over a year, it is unlikely to happen!

I keep meaning to dig it out of the garage and give it a service then get out and get fit again. That's too much like hard work though.

[Edited by J4MES - 6/24/2003 8:00:40 PM]
Old 24 June 2003, 09:19 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I keep meaning to dig it out of the garage and give it a service then get out and get fit again. That's too much like hard work though.
Do it. You won't regret it. I rediscovered MTBing in Jan this year (after a break of 4 years) and although it was bloody hard work at first, it was well worth it and the best thing I've done for years.

Oh, and Riftzone mentioned that we should have an MTB forum. I agree. However, in the meantime, this thread is doing the job fairly well.
Old 25 June 2003, 12:03 AM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Go to www.tftunedshox.com Tim Flooks is an ex works Rockshox engineer who worked on the world cup scene before setting up on his own. Have heard nothing but good things about the quality of his work.
Old 25 June 2003, 12:44 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Roy Pink Cycles of Newport Pagnel did my Z1's, top job + replaced both the seals I burst on a run to the local Tescos. (It was a monthly shop..! )
Old 25 June 2003, 10:38 PM
Itsanicesensibleestatecar
Scooby Newbie

I'll second Tim Flooks work, he did a great job on my SIDs. The difference after the service is huge. If you ride a lot its worth getting them done every year or two. You wouldn't do 30000 miles in your scoob without changing the oil, and think about the conditions you ride you're forks through.
Old 25 June 2003, 10:43 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tim Flooks ....eh? Now there's a name from the old skool. Glad to hear he's still around.

UB
Old 25 June 2003, 11:05 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Speaking of the 'old skool' of mountain biking I was interested to see recently that Caroline Alexander is still riding (and winning) in the World Series.

He's a pic I took of her in the Malvern Classic race when she was a newbie on the scene back in 1991. No feckin' suspension forks back in those days

UB
Old 26 June 2003, 12:24 AM
sambo sei
Scooby Regular

No feckin' suspension forks back in those days
thats coz XC is for gayboys

btw if anybody would like some nice rockshox judy xl's with the long travel kit and upgraded damping to judy 100 spec i'm selling a pair, not been used since the upgrade and service...