Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unmarked Police cars

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2003, 08:38 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have an issue with unmarked police cars. Don't you think that there woiuld be less crimes committed if they were all marked up?

To take things to an extream, if one in every ten cars on the motorway was a marked police car nobody would speed, there would be fewer accidents etc.
So by that same rule marking up all the un-marked cars would make a difference.
Surely the police would be happy with a reduction in people speeding? It's a bit more like prevention, than cure.

Thoughts?
Old 20 June 2003, 09:00 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

No. When patrolling in a marked up police car, you hardly ever see the reckless pulling out / road rage etc of drivers. Everyone indicates and drives nicely when they see a marked up traffic car.

unmarked cars are extremely useful for catching the driving offences that a lot of you moan the police dont do enough about.

Also used for lots of other crime related stuff.

cheers
Paul
Old 20 June 2003, 09:03 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

But my point is that it is better that these things don't happen in the first place. As you say everyone drives like an angel when there is a police car nearby. By being in a marked up car you are preventing the crime rather than letting it happen and then doing something about it.

[Edited by C h a z - 20/06/2003 09:27:14]
Old 20 June 2003, 09:07 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Game, set and match... truth destroys bull****... prevention is better than cure... that is why innoculation works... hahaha
Old 20 June 2003, 09:07 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

There aren't enough traffic cars to do what you say. You get people who are going to cut others up on purpose any time they want. They dont do it when we're there. We cant be there all the time.

People who have no respect for others on the road are punished until they drive properly or get caught enough to lose their licence etc.

Are you putting a speeding slant on this question ?

Paul

Old 20 June 2003, 09:09 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Hi Mycroft, try and play nicely today if you can without the mocking and insulting. this is a very valid question, dont spoil it......
Old 20 June 2003, 09:20 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
There aren't enough traffic cars to do what you say.
###
That is why any presence should be as conspicuous as possible

###
You get people who are going to cut others up on purpose any time they want. They dont do it when we're there.
###
The odds even in an unmarked car must be quite low... and surely it wouldn't happen at all if your cars were marked.

###
We cant be there all the time.
###
All the more reason to make what little presence you do have as visible as possible

###
People who have no respect for others on the road are punished until they drive properly or get caught enough to lose their licence etc.
###
It is far too 'hit and miss' to have any real value though... we as drivers know that and we see the results everyday.

Old 20 June 2003, 09:30 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Yawn. You argue in circles for the sake of it Mycroft - ruined another potentially good discussion.

Old 20 June 2003, 09:32 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What Mycroft just said

No particular slant on speeding. On another note I remember that there was an idea to introduce "cut-outs" of police cars on bridges to that people would slow down. Obviously they would see it was a cut out when they got close but by then they would allready have adjusted their driving style.

I suppose the real reason that these ideas will never be implimented is that it won't make anymoney if no-one ever commits a minor motoring offence ever again. It is in the polices interest to catch people and fine them rather than have them not commit the crime in the first place.
Old 20 June 2003, 09:33 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Medders, I don't think so!

Have you any re-buttal for my point of view?

[Edited by Mycroft - 20/06/2003 09:34:19]
Old 20 June 2003, 09:48 AM
PhilsGT4
Scooby Regular

I have seen a few cutouts of police cars over bridges here in Devon - a few years ago there was a noteable lack of police presence on the A38 between Plymouth and Exeter, then a couple of cutouts were put up over bridges - not sure how effective they were when they first went up but after a few days they were knocked over.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:00 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Phil,
I guess for them to be effective they would need to be moved around a bit. Still cheaper than a gatso!

It just p1sses me off a bit that my old house was broken into and no one was caught, Zoe's car was broken into outside our new house and no one was caught. Yet, I over took an unmarked car on a dual carridge way and was done for speeding and Zoe got gatsoed (sp?) at 33mph in a 30.
The whole thing is just upside down.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:03 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

But Chaz, it raised money... that is now the bottom line it seems...
Old 20 June 2003, 10:08 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Of course, silly me. With that money they will be able to buy some more un-marked cars and catch somemore people who whouldn't have been doing what they were doing if a marked car had been there.
It's all so clear to me me now.

Where an ex of mine used to live there was a massive house and the end of a private drive that ran past here front door. The alarm had been going off for ages and we knew the owners were on holiday so we rand the police. One WPC landed up. She knocked on our door and asked if we had called the police. After taking our detail she asked me if I would help her look round the property because she was on her own. WTF!
Old 20 June 2003, 10:11 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I agree with the point that marked cars being seen by drivers will have a greater impact than relying on the deterrant effect of knowing there may be an unmarked car nearby - it is a similar issue to the whole "make cameras visible or not" debate. But having said that wouldn't you prefer dangerous drivers to be removed from the road, rather than forced to behave until they eventually slip up. Removing the dangerous driver rather than following him around in a marked police car - that is prevention rather than cure.

I find it hard to believe that you can attribute unmarked cars to revenue collection. I could be wrong but would it be able turn a profit like a speed camera would? It must cost a lot to send two officers and a car out all day.

Lastly I think it is admirable that medders takes the time to put forward an alternative point of view. Its all very easy for those of us in relatively anonymous jobs as far as public opinion is concerned to sit back passing judgement and its refreshing to see someone has the bottle to question some of the things we have blindly accepted as fact from the media etc.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:25 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thanks AJM. It is totally different on the "other side" so to speak.

Unfortunately some people on here are so blinkered they dont want to know the whole picture or are just set on an argument.

You'll probably notice that a few officers that used to post on here dont anymore. Thats a shame in my opinion as they are extremely rounded individuals and have a lot to offer this site.

Paul
Old 20 June 2003, 10:31 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
Unfortunately some people on here are so blinkered they dont want to know the whole picture or are just set on an argument.
###
You'll probably notice that a few officers that used to post on here dont anymore. Thats a shame in my opinion as they are extremely rounded individuals and have a lot to offer this site.
###
There are a few blinkered people on here but ignore them, we appreciate your contribution and I'm sure that many like me would like more like you to post on here.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:35 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

I'm not trying to get at anyone!

I just thought that I would post an alternative stratergy. At the end of the day you will generate more revanue with an unmarked car because they will be able to nick more people than one that is marked up. Fewer drivers commit driving offences near a marked up car. Those that you do nick in your marked up car must surely be the worst of the lot as they have not even got basic observational skills.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:38 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Hardly surprising medders when they are constantly referred to as 'filf' or 'pigs' or 'scum'

My daughter is a serving officer in Liverpool and I object strongly to her and any other copper being called any of the above names. They are only carrying out their duties like any other employed person does!!

[Edited by Redkop - 20/06/2003 10:39:28]
Old 20 June 2003, 10:43 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
Hardly surprising medders when they are constantly referred to as 'filf' or 'pigs' or 'scum'
###
I would have thought the opportunity to dispel this opinion of them invaluable... although they did spoil it for me when true to form they revealed themselves as being rather 'snide' sending me a 'warning' for what I posted on here... that has gone all over the World [the WWW bit] and it has not gone down too well in Oz/NZ/US... still I always give the benefit of the doubt to anyone... any rebuttals then?

[Edited by Mycroft - 20/06/2003 10:46:21]
Old 20 June 2003, 10:46 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

although they did spoil it for me when true to form they revealed themselves no fovours and as being rather 'snide' sending me a 'warning' for what I posted on here... that has gone all over the World [the WWW bit] and it has not gone down too well in Oz/NZ/US... still..
Whoopee whoooo Mycroft - proud of that are you?
Old 20 June 2003, 10:51 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Off topic, but you are a moderator so I suppose it is OK to address this...

Proud of what exactly?

proud of the fact that my taxes are being spent to finance a group of slouches in Yorkshire who just appear to me to be 'Infringement voyeurs' snooping around forums for the chance to send moronic messages, finger wagging at random... well if you think that is good then great... I DON'T... nor do many of those I sent the little E-mail to... not the smartest way to make the poolice image better is it... it has had a much bigger impact than I could have imagined...
Old 20 June 2003, 10:51 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

It makes me mad that people find it big and clever to diss the police force. My daughter has been pushed, punched, kicked, spat on, p*ssed on, been verbally abused in carrying out her duties - just who is the filf, pigs and scum in that scenario then?
Old 20 June 2003, 10:54 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I can only speak for my force, but the unmarked traffic car drivers are told explicitly to NOT use them for catching speeders. Ive been passenger in unmarked cars several times and never stopped anyone for speeding in them.

Obviously if you see someone go flying past at 170mph then they get stopped

I dont mind giving the other side at all chaps, but what I do mind is all the - "you police catch speeders all the time blah blah"
Like the police are the borg or something (sorry - star trek fan )

Paul
Old 20 June 2003, 10:55 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
It makes me mad that people find it big and clever to diss the police force.
###
It appears to make irrational too.

###
My daughter has been pushed, punched, kicked, spat on, p*ssed on, been verbally abused in carrying out her duties
###
And she of course was naive enough to believe this wouldn'r happen! Or did she not attend that part of the course, it is a bit like a Nurse saying... ''No, sorry, that bedpan is too disgusting, I'm not touching that!'' Get real.

###
just who is the filf, pigs and scum in that scenario then?
###
Start a thread on that exact subject and I will happily contribute.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:55 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Mycroft - why send emails across the world? Surely that is exactly the same thing in theory to what you were calling people 'stupid' for on the Tony Martin thread.

If you felt that strongly about it - contacting the correct authority in this country would have been more apt.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:59 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Of course she isn't naive and if she felt unable to cope with that part of the job - she would have got out ages ago!!

I think you are just bored again Mycroft, nothing better to do than try and disrupt yet another thread!
Old 20 June 2003, 11:01 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
Mycroft - why send emails across the world? Surely that is exactly the same thing in theory to what you were calling people 'stupid' for on the Tony Martin thread.
###
Not in the least bit, the badgering of Solicitors is nothing like sending around the World a real life example of what has become of the British Police Force... I was not campaigning for change or to influence things when I did that.

###
If you felt that strongly about it - contacting the correct authority in this country would have been more apt.
###
I have done more than that...
Old 20 June 2003, 11:01 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Redkop, pull your head out of your @rse and get back on topic. You are the first person on the thread to even mention foul names for the police. I don't believe that you are behaving in the way that a mod should.

If your daughter doesn't like her job then she should do something else. My sister is regularly spat at sh@t on and p1ssed on in her job (she is a Vet) but she knew that would be part of her job so she puts up with it.
Old 20 June 2003, 11:03 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Chaz re-read medders thread and also my reply above!

Quick Reply: Unmarked Police cars