Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Causes of M/Way accidents.

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2003, 09:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I spend a hell of a lot of my time trawling up and down the UKs motorway network.As I drive either a van or HGV can see a lot more tan the normal car driver.

Just cant believe the number of people that are either reading maps,newspapers,laptops. Most of all are people using mobiles./These usually think theyre safe as they tend to slow down and move into the left lane. No wonder so many major accidents seem to be happening lately.

Chip.
Old 12 June 2003, 09:34 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Add to that tailgating and lane swapping without indicating.
Old 12 June 2003, 10:10 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

I used to be a sales rep doing between 40-50k miles a year. Your right, another fave is texting while you drive!!
Old 12 June 2003, 10:18 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Add to that tailgating and lane swapping without indicating.
Is this dangerous then???? blimey, you learn something new each day... LOL

BB

PS: I know what you mean mate...

Old 12 June 2003, 10:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Well when I do it people seem to think it's dangerous.

The ****** sign I see in my mirror from people I've annoyed proves this
Old 12 June 2003, 10:41 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

surely the most dangerous drivers are those who haven't got the intelligence to look further ahead than the car in front of them
Old 12 June 2003, 10:43 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

Just started doing a 50 mile a day motorway commute to work and back.. Seem to come across at least one person a week with no brake lights....
Old 12 June 2003, 11:50 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Talking

It makes me laugh when I travel down the M5 on a Friday evening west of Bristol.

All 3 lanes doing around the same speed (70mph), yet in the nearside lane, perhaps one car every 300yds, middle lane, one every 150yds, outside, 3 in every 10 feet!!!
I tend to just cruise between near-side and middle lane (with plenty of observation to avoid those cutting-in from the outside lane ), and leave myself plenty of room between me and the car in front. So why am still amazed as those cars in the outside lane constantly jump on and off the brakes??

While I may need to hit the middle pedal on 3 or 4 occasions in 100 miles, those in the outside lane are pressing the brake 3 or 4 times a minute! No wonder people get stressed......but for what gain???
Old 13 June 2003, 12:55 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
lane disipline in the UK is apauling, you get used to it and think its normal......... That is until you go to mainland Europe and realise how good they are over there.

We suck as a nation of motorway drivers and need re-educating, is that ever going to happen with the current Speed Kills mantra, is it hell.
Old 13 June 2003, 07:26 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Most of all are people using mobiles./These usually think theyre safe as they tend to slow down and move into the left lane.
Eh? Most of the idiots I see on the phone are usually in the middle lane (regardless of whether there's traffic in lanes 1 or 3). I guess they think that if it all goes pear-shaped they've got extra space either side of them to make them maneuvre.

Have to agree about the brake lights thing, too - I would say that for 99.9999% of my motorway journeys I don't use the brake pedal at all (excluding congestion, etc). In fact, I take it as a warning - if I have to touch the brake, it reminds me that I've not left the 2-sec gap. I guess the people who spend their entire journey braking/accelerating into the back of the car in front must have shares in Ferodo or something?
Old 13 June 2003, 09:24 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Agree, using the brakes less is a good thing IMHO since you can only avoid non-essential braking if you're aware of what's happening around you and you're travelling at a safe distance. Helps when the snow comes too
Old 13 June 2003, 07:52 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Just started travelling on my R6 to Wolverhampton every day. Cannot believe how many people use their mobile while driving. They def. are not aware of me on the bike - easy to move around and look in their mirrors. I thought the police were clamping down on this???