Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2003, 01:57 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend was caught speeding twice on the same bit of road by 2 different camera's. No big deal, he shouldn't have been speeding, but it did get me thinking, at what point are you breaking the law for the second offence?

In my mind, once you exceed the limit you break the law, if you don't drop back to the speed limit, you are still speeding but it's technically still the first occourance.

If I broke in to your house (I won't ) and stole a TV, it's classed as one count, if I stole your DVD player as well, it's still only one count of theft.

As in an early thread, a gatso next to a mobile unit, surely they are 'getting' you twice for the same crime?

Old 12 June 2003, 03:06 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

The chances are that it will go to court rather than two FPT's and the Magistrates will issue one fine and one set of points.

The fines is likely to be higher than £130, but the chances are he will only get 4 or 5 points rather than 6.

Two offences commited on the same day are usually run in unison.
Old 14 June 2003, 11:08 PM
alter_ego
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Don't send back the NIPs yet. See: www.safespeed.org.uk/unsigned.html (there is also a Yahoo Group associated with that page where bogus legal threats and intimidation etc. are discussed).
Basically the loophole has been to the High Court and a decision is awaited (See: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3047293.stm). AIUI, the announcement has already been postponed once (from June 'till July). There is speculation that the judge has found against the CPS and there is government activity on emergency legislation. So, wait as long as you can (28 days IIRC), in the hope that there will have been an judgement announcement. It is extremely unlikely that any emergency legislation would be retrospective. If you have to return the NIP before the announcement, read the above links and decide for yourself whether to sign them!

A_E