Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Singapore Bore?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 10:48 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

Our friends have recently emigrated to Singers and the other half wants to go over and visit for two weeks in October, however, my mate was there quite a lot on a ship last year and said the place was dull as ditchwater!

Apart from the usual loading up with cheap watches, eating out, drinking slings in Raffles and ladyboys, what else is there to keep us amused in Singapore????

Or would one week be more appropriate.

Also does anyone know roughly where/how much decent suits can be had?

Your well travelled advice would be muchly appreciated.

Dave
Old 05 June 2003, 10:55 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but personally I hate Singapore. The humidity (obviously depends when you go), the totally sterile feel to the place (though I guess a lot of people would say it is clean and tidy) and the general lack of anything interesting to see or do, apart from shopping.
I would say that one week is just short enough to keep feelings of suicide at bay - any longer than that and you could be in trouble.
All IMHO of course.

Steve
Old 05 June 2003, 11:01 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Sounds like San Jose, but more humid.

UB
Old 05 June 2003, 11:03 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Don't know the way to San Jose though!
Old 05 June 2003, 11:03 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I was totally under-whelmed by Singapore. It was warm (I was there mid Nov) and clean, but quite dull, TBH. I spent a day walking all around the centre, and it really doesn't have much to offer. I certainly wouldn't want to spend time there. There are far more intersting places in the world.

If you can use it as a base to explore that part of the world on the cheap then it might be worth it.
Old 05 June 2003, 11:19 AM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

People normally just use it as a stop-over on the way to Australia or New Zealand. I've never seen so many electronic gadget shops in one place. It's worth spending a few days sight-seeing but that's about it.
Old 05 June 2003, 11:31 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

spent 3-4 days there a few years ago...

- it isn't the party capital of the world but tons of shops
- you could eat your dinner off the pavement it is that clean
- chewing gum is illegal
- didn't see any police, no need, people will report you if you do something wrong
- the hotel was unreal, tons of technology and top class (errm park royal?)
- taxi's are great. i.e. taxi driver from airport to hotel asks you when are you going back to hotel. you say, 4 days time at 7am or whatever (thinking you'll never see him again). guess what? yep, he's waiting at the hotel reception for you and recognises you. sorts out your checkout, luggage etc, gets you to the right airport terminal. top class!
- VERY safe. i.e. how many cities do you know that upon arrival on the first night a family can go for a walk between 12-2 am? people just sit around in parks drinking tiger beer at tables and quitely talk to each other - so civilised.
- the food is bloody awful, find a mcdonalds quick. really, all just fish bits in water.

so, to sum up, very safe and tidy place but not somewhere i would spend lots of time. really is an unbelievable place.

steven

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2003, 11:42 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas, keep 'em coming.
Old 05 June 2003, 12:01 PM
zax
Scooby Regular

Have to disagree about the food If you live on burgers and pizzas you won't like it, but there's some good stuff to be enjoyed! And watermelon/crushed ice drinks take the edge off the humidity for a while...

I was working there so had plenty to do, but I would agree it's a good place to spend a few days to a week then use as a base to go elsewhere. Seeing the sights (zoo, botanic gardens, sentosa island, reptile and bird parks, shops and streets etc.) doesn't take too long. And Kanji (sp?) war memorial is worth a visit in a makes-you-think sort of way.
Old 05 June 2003, 12:07 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I agree with zax on the food. I found that to be one of the better things about the place, particularly if you like seafood. I had the best peppered crab there I have ever tasted.
If I were you, I would spend a week in Singapore with your friends - they will presumably know the best places to see. Then get a flight over to Hong Kong and spend another week there. That really is worth a visit.

Steve
Old 05 June 2003, 01:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I went a place called '3 Floors of ******', not sure if that was the official name! Did what it said on the tin, and did it very well. Other than that can't stand the place.
Old 05 June 2003, 03:37 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

It's 'Four floors of ******' and real name is 'Top Ten'. If you are into that sort of thing 'Aurora' is better.

Food - absolutely excellent if you like all thing oriental which I do. You can get the hottest curries too - much stronger than anything served in the UK.

Shops - loads to buy and very cheap.

Things to do - bugger all except play golf, swim in the pool and go on the odd boat trip. You can try the Zoo but it's not my scene. You can go cycling if you are VERY fit - great mountain biking just horribly hot and humid.

Nightlife - great bars, clubs and restaurants - email me if u need names and addresses. But all very very expensive. Irish bars are all the rage at the moment but a pint will cost abt £5.

Hotels - all very good but the best are Intercontinental, Shangri-La and Fullerton is the best IMHO. Deals are so cheap at the moment due to lack of travel to the area - negotiate direct and hard. I stayed at the Fullerton for £85 per night for a double room and it is mean tot be a 7 star hotel.

I always go on business (twice a year) and use the company expenses - I wouldnt want to go on my own account and I wouldnt want to stay for more than 3-4 days.
Old 05 June 2003, 04:03 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

did the stop over to ozz thing to break up the flight and i haveto agree with most things said already.
Didnt see the seedyside(was there with fiance so it was a no no) but took a nice boat trip up the river had a ginsling in Raffles (HOW MUCH!!!!).
you can buy some very nice cheap silk stuff on clark street and the food carts down there are excellent clean and cheap
Old 05 June 2003, 04:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Go to the Zoo - especially the night tours, very well done & worth the trip.

The other thing is that sky-lift thing that pops over to one of the islands & back - cracking views of the sea lanes/shipping etc

Old 05 June 2003, 04:27 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Had a 24hr stop over on way to Australia and that was enough for me. It was an impressively clean and well organised metropolis with cheap shopping for clothes and electronics.

Darren
Old 05 June 2003, 04:39 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Probably well out of date, but we went on a 4 day stopover on the way to Bali about twelve years ago.
There was an open air area called the Sate Club with hawkers cooking all kinds of sate. Cool back in the days when most Brits hadn't heard of it.
The other treat was Newton Circus. An open air, open plan,cooked food market. Go to one stall and get Sweet and Sour Lobster and the next would be serving fantastic curries. Epitomised Singapore's ethnic mix with no grief or violence whatsoever.
Sentosa was great too and a real contrast.
Old 05 June 2003, 05:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has changed greatly since the days I first went there. None of those smart buildings then, open drains everywhere, and everywhere seemed to be interestingly seedy. The best entertainment was Bugis Street, absolute mayhem and great fun. I think it is a Metro Station now.
Newton Circus is still good for food as Joni said, and I imagine the Tiger Garden is still going as well as the Zoo.

Les
Old 05 June 2003, 06:43 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

I have family out in Singy, and agree with all the comments on places to visit etc.. I won't recommend more than a week, but you can always pop over to Malaysia, Thailand or Bali for a week.....
The cost of the drinks in the clubs are sky high, so be warned..!! I remember buying a few jugs for a group of us, and didn't get much change back from £100 .... well I had too, as it was family, and that was 4 years ago..!!
Had a great time there anyway.. Plan to go back next year to see my cousins..

OJ