Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ROLEX YACHTMASTER HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2003, 07:33 PM
WISHING
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking at buying a Rolex Yachtmaster the retail price is £4400 and ive been offerd a deal on it buy an official Rolex dealer.
But i would like to know what i should expect off the watch. 10% 20% 30% i have no idea but would like some information from people that own Rolex watches.

Ps this Yachtmaster is in stock and ready to collect !

Help if you pleae !
Old 01 June 2003, 09:11 PM
WISHING
Scooby Regular

Anyone ?
Old 01 June 2003, 09:17 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There is a rolex forum called Turfers or something.Do a search under rolex forum.
Old 01 June 2003, 09:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Buy something nice and understated, and cheaper, like an Oris, Lacroix or Ebel. Put the remaining £4000 into bank for kids or pay off a chunk of mortgage (you'll thank me come the recession) and leave extravagant, flash, obnoxious, ostentatious, pretentious status icon Jimmy Saville jewellery to the Beckhams.
Old 01 June 2003, 10:19 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Got my GMT Master 2 a few years back, didn't get a discount but got a 0% finance deal. If you are prepared to haggle you might get a deal but the "sports range" eg yachtmaster, GMT, Submariner etc, usually have long waiting lists and jewellers may not offer any discount due to this.
Old 01 June 2003, 11:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck if you can get 10%. Don't know about the YM, but all the other sports don't get discounted in the UK.

Of course, if you can manage to get it in an airport, you get 17.5% off, as duty-free.

Bought mine s/h, so about 35% off.

HTH - Brendan
Old 02 June 2003, 12:33 PM
WISHING
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help.
I am still a little unsure.

Carrado Boy, If i had a mortgage i would certainly take your advice but i am one of the very lucky people.

So 10% off a YM Rolex is good then ?
Old 02 June 2003, 12:39 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I got 10% off my wifes Rolex from an official dealer (high street jeweler).
Old 02 June 2003, 12:49 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

Don't go near it I got a deal on an oyster perpetual from a reputable dealer and had the catch break within a year got that replaced and a year and a half later it just stopped. The shop only gave me 1 year warrenty so its 3 hundred quid for a service to get it repaired for a watch that cast more than my current car. Some people have them for years with no problems and others suffer from broken catches and needing to re adjust the time every three months. I would say get a Rado had mine eleven years and has hardly lost a minute in that time.
Old 02 June 2003, 12:51 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

Btw I baught mine in Ireland and got a significant discount over UK prices as well as the serice being 300 euros instead of £300
Old 02 June 2003, 02:24 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Buying duty-free sounds like a good idea, but the duty-free limit on gifts is about £120 - so a little less than the £4k Rolex! Obviously you could just take a risk and not declare it, but be careful...
Old 02 June 2003, 02:30 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Go here www.timezone.comand click on the rolex forum.

Then you'll be asking people who know what the score is and will give you a reasoned answer, as opposed to "don't buy it, its overpriced/rubbish/pimpish/whatever"

YMs are not as popular as the other sports models. Should be able to haggle 10% or thereabouts.

After all, if its in stock, there is no waiting list

D

Old 02 June 2003, 05:29 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
and don't buy a YM with a snake/leather strap etc.. as there geared up for the lady market!!
you'll see that on the www.rolex.com web site
Mans watches ate chunky straps!.. don't go for FULL Gold either.. very OTT IMHO
Old 02 June 2003, 05:43 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Question

A Bona Fide Rolex dealer is not allowed to discount the goods. If they do, they can get axed by Rolex. If you are offered a discount I would question the dealers authenticity or that of the watch being offered.

Mak.
(Proud owner of a GMT master too!)
Old 02 June 2003, 07:06 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I got around 15% off mine (boggo datejust) You need to go to a family owned type dealer - not a high street one as they just won't deal.

And yes mine is 'real' and from a long established reputable dealer.

Old 02 June 2003, 08:44 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Talking

Oh yes they will deal !

Got my wifes from a high street jewelers - she tried it on & laid it on thick about loving it, I refused to buy it. Went back later, she tried it again & I said no way was I paying more than 3 grand, they came back at about 3200 so we walked away. She ducked her head in on the way home and they said OK 3 grand.

I bought my Omega duty free - you gotta be pretty unlucky to get stopped because your watch looks a bit new......
Old 03 June 2003, 02:58 AM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Forget Rolex, get a Breitling. Much better tech-head street cred...
Old 03 June 2003, 06:55 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Hey There,

As a side line I deal in Rolex's.

Can normally save big money on new.

Most are UK watches, but Rolex now give a 2 year world wide warranty on all of their new watches so it is getting less important where you buy them from.

I have a lovely submariner from the far east, paid nearly £700 less than I would have done in the UK.

Dont worry about the supposed "good fakes" anybody who knows a little bit about Rolex's can usually tell at a glance, if not, I am able to check every serial number with Rolex directly and they tell me everything about the watch.

Alternatively, you could try Ebay, I have bought at least 8 Rolex's on Ebay, and all have been spot on. It is up to you if you feel comfortable enough depositing between £4 to 6K into a complete strangers account!

If you really want to buy a watch that will make you money from day one, buy a SS Daytona. They are like rocking horse shxt, there is at least a 6 year waiting list for them from the official dealers, alternatively there are some cracking deals on the "Tudor" Daytonas, a lot of people reckon they are the poor mans Daytona, but because the Rolex ones are so hard to come by, the Tudor watches are shooting up in price (make sure if you want a Tudor Daytona that it is a pre tiger version" these are worth a lot more, and are INHO more aestheticaly pleasing to look at.

I can get you any Rolex you want, if you or anybody interested, or just want to ask any questions let me know.

Currently available watches are the SS Daytona, The Yachtmaster (with the platinum dial) all Submariners / sea Dwellers etc etc.

Cheers Mate

Michael.
Old 03 June 2003, 07:35 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Ah damn. I just bought an ExplorerII. Paid list as I had wanted one for ages but hadn't bothered ordering one...supposed to be a 1.5 year waiting list but spotted one in a jewelers window and had to have it. Ebay was too scary for me, and the discount over new was too little to warrant the 'risk'.
Lovely watch, hope you actually wear it if you get it..I hate the 'investment' buyers.
Only problem is I now have too many watches I like to wear and need a winding box...currently put the Explorer and an Omega on each night whilst pottering around the house to keep em both going
Chuck
Old 03 June 2003, 01:08 PM
yoza
BANNED

Go to the for sale sale section......GMT MASTER II brand new unworn for a silly price and no waiting list,genuine bargain go and look!
Old 04 June 2003, 09:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What does it do for Yachting though?

Les
Old 04 June 2003, 12:51 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Go to Thailand, buy a fake, and spend the change 'enjoying' yourself
Old 04 June 2003, 01:00 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

My Rolex was handed down from my father, who bought it in Germany while in the army, it's about 30 years old (and yes it has been sent to rolex for valuation and verification)
I'm thinking of getting it insured, question is, where do I start?
It's been valued at betweem £1,500 and £2,500 (hard to value as Rolex don't currently make a watch that you can compare it to, so they had to go on similar models sold privatly)