Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Its the holiday season, people are going away, setting their house-alarms.....

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2003, 11:14 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

There's a house around the corner from me. The alarm went off last night about 10pm. It hasn't stopped since! I thought most alarms went off for about 20mins before resetting? I'm lucky not to be next door to the feckin' thing. Had to sleep last night with all the windows closed though!
Thing is most people now have an alarm on their house, but don't seem to have any arrangement as to what should be done if it goes off!
If I were their nextdoor neighbour I'd consider doing something by now, but what?
Call police?
Get the ladders out and disconnect the sounder?

What do you lot think?

Nick
Old 01 June 2003, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Call the police every time!

Les
Old 01 June 2003, 12:25 PM
saucy-scooby
Scooby Regular

Not sure, but I think if the police are called out too many times to a false alarm they actually send a bill fo the time taken in checking it out.
Old 01 June 2003, 12:37 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I thought they were only supposed to go on for so long - something to do with noise polution regs. Car alarms are supposed to only run for 30 seconds at a time AFAIR...

One trick the theiving gits apparently do is to repeatedly set off alarm and watch from a distance to see whether a neighbour etc turns it off / checks over the property. If nobody does then they "know" the coast is clear. They are relying on people being too lazy / getting p*ssed off with the siren to bother... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Somebody round here kept getting done over as his house is behind a high-ish hedge and alarm box is obscured by a big tree in his garden (didn't help that he left his garage open at all hours as well )
Old 01 June 2003, 06:56 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that people are fitting cheap & nasty alarms... a house I used to live in had some problems with the sensors, so when I fitted an alarm to my own house I did a bit of digging, went for combination microwave / PIR sensors. Set the alarm religiously every day before going out to work, unset it when I got back, set it before going to bed, unset it in the morming (not because I was paranoid, but was curious how good the system was). Did not have one single false alarm, but the sensors were, if anything, more sensitive than the ones in the previous house. Go figure. It's like the age old saying, anything that's worth doing, is worth doing right. For a potential thief to actually set this alarm off they'de literally need to break some glass and enter the house, or break open a door.... pretty obvious signs really

My advice is "don't believe the hype". A single technology sensor will always generate false positives, no matter how good it is. A dual technology sensor can do, but I never experienced it. Best is a tripple technology sensor (PIR/ultrasound/microwave), but we're talking serious dough here.

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 01 June 2003, 07:09 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

IIRC the alarm has to stop after 20 mins (to be compliant with the appropriate law).
Old 01 June 2003, 09:59 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

the bell has to reset after 20mins,all new units have a built in timer...if the power fails to the bell then it will still only ring for 20 mins..even if the panel is set to continuous ring during alarm condition, then the bell timer should still stop it.The alarm can be set to re-arm itself but will only go off again if the zone that caused the alarm is activated again. It should never ring continuously. phone the police and they should be able to direct you to the councils noise pollution dept. who should be available 24 hrs..they can attend and deal with it..
If this still persists ..buy a shotgun..he he
Old 01 June 2003, 11:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Put a brick through theIR window with a piece of paper wrapped round it saying "TURN YOUR FEKKIN NOISY ALARM OFF".
Old 02 June 2003, 08:20 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks. We went out yesterday afternoon for dinner whilst it was still sounding! Came back 2 hrs later and it had stopped. So a peaceful Sunday evening was had by all. Not sure how it was resolved. Maybe the owners came back. I too thought alarms were only supposed to sound for 20mins - and that is too long IMHO!!!

What does IIRC mean?

Nick
Old 02 June 2003, 09:38 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If I Remember Correctly, IIRC