Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gatwick Parking

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2003, 10:10 AM
Mildo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know it's probably an old chestnut, but can anyone recommend a secure, reasonably priced parking facility near Gatwick? I'm going away for 2 weeks later this year and want to leave my WRX in safe keeping.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mildo.
Old 28 May 2003, 10:31 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

See my thread on this here
Old 28 May 2003, 11:59 AM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

Do not use the privately-owned car parks. They offer a small saving on the official airport long-term parks, but they cram all the vehicles to within an inch of each other, and so have to move between thirty and ninety cars to extricate one. You won't know this because you won't see it, and the you may only have one extra mile on the clock, but your car will have been moved many times during a fortnight, and the engine wear will be similar to having done 5000 miles of normal driving. If you return to find that one of their slob drivers has miscalculated the one inch gap, you will find it impossible to claim damages. They're experts in avoiding responsibility, but that's all they are good at.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:04 PM
Mildo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the thread link STi - lots of advice in there.

Dave, your words fill me with horror so I'll certainly bear in mind what you've said!

Old 28 May 2003, 12:08 PM
Carl Harvey
Scooby Regular

If you stay at the Hilton for one night you get upto 14 days "free" parking in the main south terminal car park.

It is very convenient for the airport and very secure. I lost my ticket and it was almost impossible to get my own car out.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:10 PM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

You could always stop a night at a hotel which offers holiday parking on site. I would suspect these are not very secure, but at least you'll have your car keys with you so no-one can cane your motor.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:25 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I flew from Gatwick a few weeks ago and we booked the car into one of the car parks at Gatwick. £48 for a week and I think they were called something like "Summer parking" or something like that, although it has to be pre-booked.

Only thing is that you leave your car in the queue, check in and they drive it off to park it!

During the busy periods, obviously they have to park the car further away and the ticket said that there could be up to an additional 7 miles on the clock. Mine had an extra mile on it when I came back!

The car was in a secure, patrolled car park, so that was cool for me!

I would use them again!