Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do u stop home cold call phone calls ????

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2003, 10:38 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi All

A few months back someone posted an internet site that removes you from the annoying evening cold phone call list.

Has anyone got that link ?

Cheers

Neal
Old 23 May 2003, 10:43 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

It's the telephone preference service.
Old 23 May 2003, 10:43 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

I just blow an old police whistle down the phone. They never usually ring back and if they do a few further blasts usually does the job.

[Edited by NACRO - 5/23/2003 10:44:07 AM]
Old 23 May 2003, 10:49 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Better to register with the TPS and not have 'em call in the first place though. Particularly as it's free, takes 5 minutes, and has been very effective (for us, at least).
Old 23 May 2003, 10:58 AM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that MarkO.

I reckon I get about 15 calls a day from Window/Kitchen etc companies and now I wouk from home it is really annoying!!!!

All registered so hopefully it will work!!!!
Old 23 May 2003, 11:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark, Just registered.
Old 23 May 2003, 11:11 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

not all companies subscribe to the TPS though- especially the disreputable ones.

Anyway I like the idea of sending them away with a headache- to55ers!
Old 23 May 2003, 11:21 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No problem guys. Just remember it takes up to 28 days to take effect.

Nacro - you're right, but the difference is that if you're TPS-registered, and you get a cold call, they're actually breaking the law and can be shut down. So if after registering you get a call, play it calm, act interested, and chat to them - making sure you get the company name. Then once you've got the info, politely tell them you'll be reporting them for not using the TPS lists. Then pass on the complaint to the TPS, happy in the knowledge that there's a good chance you'll have ruined the cold-caller's day as much as they've spoilt yours.
Old 23 May 2003, 11:32 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Anyway I like the idea of sending them away with a headache- to55ers! "

what a muppet....you think the coldcaller is the bloke running the firm? he's just doing his job....luckly im sure they are well aware that ppl are out there who belive that being number 374647 that day to act like a tit on the phone makes them very clever.
Old 23 May 2003, 11:38 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Or do what a mate of mine once did..... get them to natter on about their product, put the phone down somewhere and wander off for a while.... then come back. Ask them to call round and demmo their product, when they do, let them schpeel for as long as they like then just happen to drop into the conversation that the house is in fact rented ! Its amazing how quickly they scoot off. You have the satisfaction that you have wasted acres of their time and had a bit of fun into the bargain !
Old 23 May 2003, 11:38 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Well I had a reasonably good idea which will get incorporated into the next release of DECT phones the company I work for manufactures.

You can simply set it to bar witheld and number not available calls (most call centres fall into one of those). Only downside is you need CLI enabled on your line by BT for which there is a small charge.
Old 23 May 2003, 11:39 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neal i'm sorry but u dont return my calls any more
Si (extreme stalker lol)
Old 23 May 2003, 11:46 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

GaryK - nice idea, but wouldn't really work. My wife's aunt, my grandfather and a couple of friends we know have their numbers witheld for various reasons. So do we.

Your invention would mean that we wouldn't be able to speak to half of our relatives on the phone.
Old 23 May 2003, 11:48 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Marko,

ah yes what I ommited to say was there is going to be a recorded message telling the caller the call is barred and you can over-ride with a pin number which you can give to friends and family. It's certainly not a 'knock-out' feature on its own just another selling point really.

Gary
Old 23 May 2003, 11:48 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Wink

Tiggs said "what a muppet....you think the coldcaller is the bloke running the firm? he's just doing his job"

They could have chosen a better job, that's the kind of argument traffic wardens, concentration camp guards etc etc come out with.

If they want to invade someones's privacy then they are fair game-the whistle thing is only part of the treatment they get from me.

I hate the fact these people ring at the worst time and are ultra pushy to the point of being aggressive. I invited one round to my house so I could punch his lights out he was so rude, he declined my kind offer just like I declined his kind offer of a "once in a life time chance to be a show house"
Old 23 May 2003, 11:53 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

I used to do canvassing on the phone,we were given a page from the phone book and you just went through it
Must say what a crap job,but quite funny what people say to you.
If someone goes mental you keep there no and ring them daily
on loudspeaker for funOnly did it for 4 wks as a stop gap.
Old 23 May 2003, 11:59 AM
NACRO
BANNED

when they try the ringing you all the time bit you report them to the police for harrasment or better yet get your girlfriend to report them for obscene phone calls.

That and phoning their head office with a fax set to constantly redial seems to solve the problem.

Fight fire with fire its all good fun!
Old 23 May 2003, 12:02 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nacro, I think the point Tiggs was making (which I agree with) is that the people on the end of the phone have a hard enough time of it anyway. I suspect they'd probably choose a different job if they could, but sometimes that's not an option.

Deafening the poor sap on the other end of the phone doesn't achieve anything, other than making their job even more miserable than it already is, and making you feel angry too. It's far more satisfying to be polite and friendly to the person on the phone, knowing full well that it's the owner of the company who you're going to stitch up.
Old 23 May 2003, 12:06 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs up

Hard to be polite and friendly when they call after 10pm though!

Whistle seems to send em packing and I never get mad I just get even!
Old 23 May 2003, 12:11 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

The method i use is say yes im sure id be interested but you need to speak to my wife, hold on i'll just get her for you .........Then leave the receiver on the side and go back to watching the telly. Waste a bit of their time for a change
Old 23 May 2003, 12:28 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

LOL. And they hang up 30s later and move onto the next call, and all you've achieved is to tie your phone up for half an hour so nobody can ring you.

I can see we're going to have people posting all sorts of methods/schemes/tricks which will be extremely clever, I'm sure. Personally, though, the 5-minute job of registering with the TPS worked best for me - I've not had a single cold-call in 5 years, and I don't need to mess around with whistles, faxes, leaving the phone off the hook or any of that rubbish.

But if you want to ignore my advice, go ahead.
Old 23 May 2003, 12:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

TPS works for me - mind you before I registered I just used to say - "sorry, I don't speak to scum who earn less than £50k a year" and hung up..

Old 23 May 2003, 12:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

MarkO

I wasn't suggesting ignoring your advice only that it hasn't worked for me!

I still get the odd call and nothing gives me greater satisfaction than sending them away with a perforated ear drum.
Old 23 May 2003, 01:21 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

TPS does work

used to get loads of the things- like 9pm on a friday nite selling double glazing etc- now only the very occasional odd one, like once every 4 months- threaten them with reporting them to the tps for violation of the terms and they dont call back.
Old 24 May 2003, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am mostly on Nacro's side on this. I regard these calls as an invasion of my privacy, if I am interested in their product I am quite capable of contacting them myself instead of having my evening and occasionally my meal disturbed.

Some years ago they were not able to disconnect from you unless you rang down yourself, so they could not continue with their calls. That used to upset them if you just put the receiver down for a bit. Even an ex directory number won't stop them-they just go down the numbers ***** nilly.

Les [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 24 May 2003, 01:48 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Had a cold call a couple of nights ago at about 9pm on my mobile[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]!!!!(god knows how they get these numbers??) Great laugh though can’t wait till the next one.

The guy was trying to sell me a conservatory, as I wasn’t paying for the call and I was bored I decided to lead the guy on a bit. He started explaining how their conservatories are so much cheaper than any other local company and that they will do a "complete turn key package" if I wanted it they would provide electrics, heating and flooring. Me all the time sounding very interested saying oh that sounds very nice. He started asking me when I was available for a 1-to-1 consultation by there "installation planning engineer" (more like a grilling by there sales rep). So by the end of our half-an-hour call he said our engineer will be round Friday morning then, to which I said NO I have changed my mind and he said why??? I said I live in a flat (I don’t really but it sounds more annoying doesn’t it), this guy exploded swearing at me calling me all the names under the sun by which time I was in tears laughing. He asked me why I never told him I lived in a flat I said you never asked me He explained to me that he gets paid on commission only and I had just wasted half-an-hour of his time to which I replied "I know great isn’t it" Then he hung up

Me 1 – Cold Caller 0
Old 24 May 2003, 02:19 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

lol @ tim
Old 24 May 2003, 06:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"if I am interested in their product I am quite capable of contacting them myself "

hmmmm, smart lad- you should tell all those folks working in advertising that they are wasting their time.
Old 24 May 2003, 08:36 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Gotta agree with Marko and Tiggs here,if you're not interested,just say "sorry mate,not interested".All these other suggestions just waste YOUR time,pretty childish imo.

Old 24 May 2003, 09:39 PM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Tell them you're too busy right now.... and could you ring me back at work tomorrow. Then give them a phone number of their competitors from the yellow pages.

Quick Reply: How do u stop home cold call phone calls ????