The Good Old Days (old codgers only)

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2003, 08:09 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

So, so true... . Pass my slippers....

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others, who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.
Old 23 May 2003, 08:15 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

and can I add

*you were allowed to have snow ball fights at school because spookily no one was permanently lacerated by killer ice"

unlike now,at my lads school (he's 8) they aren't even allowed to play soccer with a full sized ball
Old 23 May 2003, 10:42 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Tel

Here's another great flash back to the past

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=210861&Page=1
Old 23 May 2003, 10:51 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

The words 'Scooby' 'Lake' and 'in a' spring to mind

UB
Old 23 May 2003, 12:25 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I remember crashing my go-kart into a load of stinging nettles !!!! Thank goodness I at least had some shorts on!

Dave
Old 23 May 2003, 12:43 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I fell off a wall wearing nothing but shorts into a large bed of stinging nettles 4ft high!

ouch
Old 23 May 2003, 12:56 PM
King RA
BANNED

I remember stamping on an underground wasps nest when I was a kid, you can probably imagine the results. Hospital was involved, ouch
Old 23 May 2003, 08:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stamping on pond ice to see how thick it was, the answer was not very, then proceeded to dry pond waterer clothes at the Launderette (remember those !) and douse in Brut 33 to avoid mother picking up the rather bad pond niff, didnt work !
Old 23 May 2003, 08:34 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

used to some great street games - kick a can was very popular everyone hid except the person who was 'on'.. if he saw sombody he had to run back to the can, bang it on the ground saying 1,2,3 I see I see .... All you had to do to get 'free' was kick the can before he finished. Ended up with broken or staved wrists more ofen than not, but it taught you how to run faster if you were 'on'

Other fav pastime was to get two big bolts and a nut that would fit tightly. Thread the nut onto one bolt for about 2 turns. Fill it with the heads of red head matches and and thread the other bolt on until it was tight. Throw at ground and run. (The impact would flare the matches and send one bolt spinning off into space)Whoever gets their bolt to go furthest is the winner. I took a window out of an Ulsterbus doing this. The bus driver gave chase and caught me. Dragged me home and told my Da. He beat the **** out of me and paid the driver in cash to have the damage replaced. After 6 months without sweets and a 1 hour before dark curfew I learned my lesson..... don't throw bolt bombs when there is a bus nearby
Old 23 May 2003, 08:47 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Angry

On a cynical note, isn't it this generation that has spawned all the Garry Glitter types that are preying on the childeren today. I also think we have seen some of the sickest serial killers ever over the last 50 years
Old 23 May 2003, 08:52 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Scoobydick excellent choice of name!

I'm only 28 and most of that applies to me. Never had the urge to kiddie fiddle or kill any Weetabix!
Old 23 May 2003, 08:55 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Anyone remember making Bangers out of the paper rolls of ammo used in cap guns? Spend ages threading it through a needle and sellotaping it to a match,probably best not to set the school bins on fire though!
Old 24 May 2003, 12:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

bew - must be a Norn Iron thing - great fun if you never got caught
Old 24 May 2003, 11:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

"Green eyes" I think Scoobydick!

Les