Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 02:14 PM
El Pedro
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Moving on from my other thread
[/url]http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=208673[/url]
We all know how well manufacturers like Ford, Subaru and Mitsubishi have benefitted from the WRC but what, if anything, does competing add to your opinions of Skoda, Hyundai, Peugeot, Citroen?

Do you think that to get the most benefit from the WRC the manufacturer has to be producing rally replicas?

And also, do you think that the longer a manufacturer has been competing in the WRC, the more credibility the brand receives?

Replies would be appreciated as you would be helping me with my dissertation.

Cheers

Peter
Old 13 May 2003, 02:17 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

i would guess that without scoobys WRC success/appearance that the road cars wouldn't have had much if any success at all.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:31 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think how long they have been competing matters but success or being there or there abouts in the standings is a deffo, in my opinion, regards manufacturers building WRC replicas, this is a must, but that doesnt always prove a success with the buying public (FocusRS), I for one like the look off the 206 WRC & could be tempted if they sold a similar road going spec with say 280 BHP but for some reason they dont do it!! why i know not
Old 13 May 2003, 07:43 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I think Peugeot and Ford have waited too long to cash in on their success. Also, they are both mainstream brands. We know what they build - it is difficult for them to change their image (in the same way that Vauxhall have struggled to translate their BTCC success into a meaningful image improvement).

The difference with Lancia / Mitsubishi / Subaru and Audi (when they first started rallying) was that they weren't mainstream brands. A lot of people didn't know the cars - how many times were you asked when you first bought a Subaru - 'what's that?'

Audi struggled big time until they started rallying. The Quattro was a revelation when it first appeared - total image transformation.

Skoda has a long history of motorsport - so I can understand that. Although, in the same way that Audi now does sportscar racing, I would have thought the it would be better to promote Seat, as they are meant to be the 'young and sporty' brand in the VW stable.

Hyundai are I expect hoping for the same halo effect that Mitsubishi and Subaru have had. The difference is Evos / Scoobies have won things!

Does this post make sense? I think you see what I'm getting at.
Old 13 May 2003, 11:42 PM
El Pedro
Scooby Newbie

Chris. Thank you very much.

Does anyone else have any comments on this?

Any response would be appreciated as it will help my disseration.

Cheers

Peter
Old 14 May 2003, 02:05 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I personally as an enthusiast think that Peugeot have a very good rally car there (the WRC), but they dont look serious about motorsports to me because they dont sell a road going version of the car. Serious in terms of passionnate about it, not serious financially speaking. They invest a lot, they come up with a great car, but no one can buy anything that resembles it be it only a little bit. I am being told the 206 WRC only LOOKS from the outside like a 206, all the rest is different from a 206. In fact, they dont even make the engine themselves. It is made by someone called Pito or Pinto or something like that.

Mitsubishi and Subaru sell cars that look pretty much the same as the road going versions, and are also pretty similar mechanically. When you get a car that has almost 300 bhp from the factory, has AWD etc., it's not the same as a 167 bhp 206! Even though suspension / tyres / transmission are different, they are still similar. Put a roll cage and suspension tyres on your Evo and you can go rally. Do that with a 206 and you will look stupid!

It may appear to the general public that rallying proves reliability or something like that and increase sales, but the fact is that it makes the enthusiasts shake their heads in disappointment...
Old 14 May 2003, 08:38 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

When I was looking for cars to replace my Impreza Sport, I considered Skoda based on their participation in the WRC. Took the Octavia vRS for a test drive, liked it and bought one!
Old 14 May 2003, 04:56 PM
El Pedro
Scooby Newbie

cheers all.

Anymore opinions?

Dissertation is in tomorrow at 5pm so you guys are a last minute 'focus group.'

Cheers

Peter
Old 14 May 2003, 08:04 PM
J4MES
Scooby Regular

Interesting dissertation.

Maybe ask on

www.britishrally.co.uk
or
www.rallyforum.co.uk - in the chit chat forum and the rally forums.