Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving in France

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 05:03 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I need?

Warning Triangle? Spare bulbs? headlamp converters?

Any hints or tips, please?

Old 11 May 2003, 05:09 PM
ChrisB

Everything and more...

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...pe_advice.html
Old 11 May 2003, 05:21 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Thanks

What about the headlamp converters? Anyhone had any experience with these, please?
Old 11 May 2003, 06:03 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I used a set of Halfords beam deflectors which covered Impreza MY97 models upto bugeye but didn't seem to have a pattern listed for pre 97 or bugeye models. The clear deflectors do a much better job of not shading the little amount of light that standard Impreza headlights give out.

A search on here, general technical, should provide some answers, I remember a thread outlining exactly which areas to blank off.
Old 11 May 2003, 06:12 PM
stu200
Scooby Regular

In addition, if you're going to proceed at a "spirited" pace keep a couple of hundred Euros in cash handy, just incase you're asked to make a contribution to the coffers (assuming they can catch up in their Renault 4's).
Old 11 May 2003, 07:11 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

....unless they have a bike as in Northern France (got caught at Bethune once) on the way back to the ferry/tunnel.

As said, definitely worth putting a couple of hundred Euros above the sunvisor in case you get stopped at a sane speed over the limit
Old 11 May 2003, 07:34 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Burr - I know you would only have one for safety reasons - If you DO have a Radar detector - DON'T take it with you. Apparently it's illegal to have one in France and you get a £500 on the spot fine
Old 11 May 2003, 07:47 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

it's £1,000.
Old 11 May 2003, 07:55 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

If you DO have a Radar detector - DON'T take it with you
Why is that? You should have a hidden one, not one on the windshield. If it's anti VG2, no worries. There are only 2 (two) VG2s in France and one is broken! But watch it so that they dont see it in the car when you pass them or drive by at a toll etc.
Old 11 May 2003, 08:00 PM
eddie h
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to drive like a cvnt when you get there, then you'll fit right in .

Also, when someone flashes their lights at you, don't wave back there trying to give you some abuse.
Old 11 May 2003, 08:03 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

erm... thanks so far.... but can we get back on the topic of headlamp converters, please?
Old 11 May 2003, 09:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I usually do mine with black insulating tape.
Look at the lights from the front. Approximately to the LEFT of centre, you'll see a trapezoid shape from about 9 o'clock down to 7 o'clock or there-abouts. Mask this off, then shine your lights onto a garage door etc from about 10 feet away and check that the light that usually shines ABOVE and to the LEFT of the beam pattern on dips, is no longer there.
More difficult to describe than to do.
If you haven't driven in France b4, take some time to get used to it, then be EXTRA careful the first morning after spending a night over there.....that's when you'll make a mistake if you're going to.
Also remember that the signs for directions point AT the road you want, not DOWN it, which can be misleading until you get used to it.
Otherwise enjoy, and enjoy the attention the Scoob WILL get!
Alcazar
Old 11 May 2003, 09:45 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

What? even with a roofbox on??
Old 12 May 2003, 07:31 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Now Alcazar has explained the beam deflection I'll add a couple of other points you may or may not be aware of.

Roundabouts: I presume these are fairly new in France as no one seems to have any idea (or dont give a toss) of how to use them. They cut across marked lanes making overtaking on them a very hairy business, they also don't indicate on them or give way to the right on many occasions.

Priorite a droit (pardon my spelling if its wrong): this is supposed to have ended in most places- it has not. Assume that the swines will lunge out at your car, I like to cover my brakes at such danger points ready for an emergency stop/avoidance maneuver.

Basically the average French driver has a more carefree attitude to the rules of the road thus their appaling death rate. You'll see what look like people stood at the side of the A roads. These cut outs aren't police with radar guns but a warning. They erect one for every person that died on the road that year along with a running total of this years death count! Only Portugal has a worse reputation than France. Be careful and your Scoob will attract attention as there are not many on the roads. I saw no Imprezas in France just a Forester.

Also the guys I saw on the bars seemed to have no problem with drinking a skinfull and then driving away.

If you see a car with a large red A on it this stands for AVOID or A55HOLE (think it means apprentice). These are newly qualified drivers in badly styled Max Power style cars (known as Jacky's in France) who like to "race" Imprezas at every given opportunity, usually through crowded streets.
Old 12 May 2003, 08:21 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'd just like to thank all those who have taken time to reply to this thread.... the information is invaluable!!!!!

I'm travelling to Avignon.... any more tips? I posted this some time ago, and the thread is here.

Sorry for being a pain, but I'd like as much info as possible before I go.

Old 12 May 2003, 08:33 AM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Be careful on motorways, when the french overtake they leave the indicators on. It's fine on a 2 lane road but when on a 3 lane you don't know if the bu99ers are about to cut out in front of you . Also as soon as the indicators are on for over taking the car has pulled out, none of this checking the mirror for cars behind
Old 12 May 2003, 09:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

<<<What? even with a roofbox on?? >>>

Yes, even with a roof box! Mine got it even with 4 bikes on top, and a 15 foot caravan behind!!!:

I'd agree strongly with the roundabout info too. The French seem to have bought a job-lot of roundabouts. They're all over, some bypasses have 6 or more!
And despite being told that the roundabout is there, and that they DO NOT have priority entering it, some of the b*ggers take it anyway. Cutting you up on a roundabout is an everyday occurrence....I was almost under an artic last time over there. I NEVER normally take the inside lane, but forgot! And French drivers have no idea which lane to be in on a roundabout either.
Be aware that on motorways, no matter what speed you're doing, there'll be someone in a people carrier wanting to overtake you!
On motorweays, beware of sections with a limit, eg:110, where it's normally 130kph. The sneaky sods put radar across it, then fine you at the next toll booth! And a mate of mine got done, (French lad, so he ought to have known better), where he left the motorway, and the slip roads are limited, usually 90, then 70 and some down to 50kph. It has legal standing, and he got a big fine in his works van.

Alcazar
Old 12 May 2003, 09:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Oh, and on motorways, speed traps are often hidden on motorway rest areas, pointing across the road, so if you're approaching an "Aire" or larger rest area, keep to the limit.80mph with roofbox will be enough anyway.
Alcazar
Old 12 May 2003, 09:58 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Burr, if oncoming traffic is flashing and beeping at you - chances are you are driving on the left!

(I speak from experience)
Old 12 May 2003, 10:02 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Priorite a droit (pardon my spelling if its wrong)
Should you want to know, it is "priorité à droite"...

The roundabouts are very dangerous indeed in France: people know that they do not have priority when entering them (usually, some smaller ones with a round blue sign with 3 white arrows in it indicates "priorité à droité" although it is a roundabout! so watch out!) but they will enter it anyway if you are further than 3 car lengths away.

Taking a roundabout in France if you're a tourist is dangerous: if you stay on the inside like you should when doing more than half of the roundabout, then you may have trouble getting out of it! And if you stay on the outside but have to go further than half the roundabout (even though you are allowed to do this) you may end up with a Peugeot stuck in your door! LOL

I think the secret is to be careful and "go with the flow". People dont respect the lines in roundabouts, and neither should you. Drive the way they drive and you will be fine. If you respect the lines, you may end up with a surrender monkey stuck in your door!
Old 12 May 2003, 10:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a while since I drove in France but I seem to remember that they used to get really wound up if you dont have yellow headlamps. You used to be able to get something to stick on the headlamps as a temporary measure for that.

Les
Old 12 May 2003, 12:45 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Stick a big sign in the middle of your steering wheel reminding you to drive on the right ! Easy to forget first thing in the morning
If cars are flashing you on A roads just b4 a village / town it probably means there is some of your french collegues waiting to give you a warm welcome in the centre of town !

Drive with about 2" between your car and the one in front, otherwise somebody will overtake you and slot in the gap.

One last tip is to throw away the rule book and drive like a madman - that way you'll fit right in
Old 12 May 2003, 12:47 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

i didnt ever drive on the wrong side of the road found it very easy to do didnt even actually think about it
Old 12 May 2003, 07:51 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

As I'm travelling to France shortly I rang my local Subaru dealer about beam deflectors for an Sti7. I was told that Subaru don't manufacture them yet but if I call into my dealership a day or two before departure they will gladly apply black tape in the correct position. Excellent service from CVC again.

Mike
Old 12 May 2003, 09:36 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Been there loads of times and really enjoy it. The French seem to like getting a move on, nearly as much at the Italians

As far as headlamp beam deflectors go, I give 'em a miss now. I just use the levelling switch and just them so they are in the fully down position. Seems to work ok, and no-one complains.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:58 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

hehe just been to the ring and back at easter in my little 172 and didnt have a problem with the police or anyone when driving without beam benders and we have xeons as for speeding non of us got a single ticket and that was lucky with some of the speeds been done. didnt even get any funny looks when one of the cars was crashed at the ring and he was driving it back with front end all stoved in

[Edited by dogmaul - 5/12/2003 10:05:16 AM]