Unmarked Police Car - Let off with a warning

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 12:52 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Unmarked white BMW 3 series.

Hertfordshire - A414/A1M/A414 (Tesco roundabout slip road).

To cut a long story short, was having some fun with a Sliver Alfa and a Blue M3, without being dangerous.

I get stopped on the sliproad leading off the A1M (the other 2 cars have clocked the unmarked and are continuing up the A1M) and I'm very grateful to the officer in the car to be content with giving me a lecture (rightly deserved I guess) and a producer.

He did point out that this was 'my lucky day' and that if the other cars had pulled off as well, he would have stopped and prosecuted all three of us for 'racing on a public road'.

Just a little (and grateful it didn't end up as anything more)reminder I guess to think about my driving and the potential conseqences of enjoying my Scoob a little 'too' much on the public roads.
Old 11 May 2003, 01:44 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Phew...

I was on the M6 in Cheshire the other week and this old shape blue 3 series with 4 blokes in it kept coming up right behind people and on 3 separate occasions flashed them out of the way.

It came behind me and (I was in a sensible mood at first) just as I was moving over he flashed me - which is something I hate.
So, thinking "prats in old 3 series", I moved over but dropped it to 4th and sprinted from 75ish to 100 then braked fairly hard and waved them past sarcastically.

Turns out it was 4 coppers on driver training...
Got the evil eye but nothing more as I'd fortunately not got into an extended race and had slowed down straight away.

Beware out there.
Old 11 May 2003, 02:17 PM
slacker
Scooby Regular

no such luck for me ...i think the unmarked car had to meet his quota for the day.... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]@#%$![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11 May 2003, 05:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Were you overtaking each other Silverback, cant see how you can be done for racing if you were cruising in company. Thats a bad one to be prosecuted for too-you were lucky alright.

They must have special training for giving the evil eye-they are really good at it

Les
Old 11 May 2003, 08:11 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Well although we were having 'fun' all it really amounted to was me sitting behind the Alfa for about 2 miles at around 50mph (he didn't want to drop into the left lane, nor speed up) and the M3 trying to get past us both.

I then overtook the Alfa on the A1M at which point the Alfa tries to hang onto my rear bumper. Pulled into the middle lane a number of times to let him go past if he wanted and I certainly exceeded the speed limit at this point (by perhaps 10 miles per hour for about 1/4 mile) before getting pulled.

I suspect that the Alfa and the M3 were having their own fun and games behind me that may have made the white unmarked 3 series see it as something more serious than it was - he was convinced I knew who the other cars were (which I didn't).

Needless to say, I was glad to get just the ticking off and while I didn't quite agree with the officer's assessment of what was going on, I wasn't about to argue and ate a very large slice of humble pie at the side of the road.
Old 11 May 2003, 09:25 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I had a 25 min battle with a Skoda Octavia RS, well, he was trying to keep me in sight really. Went well over 100 and did some naughty undertaking, 4W drifts etc. Got quite a shock when the Octavia eventually caught up and put the blue light on

It was a brand new one with no timing gear fitted. The copper was good as gold and didn't really even tell me off! Got a producer though...

They're not all bad

MB
Old 11 May 2003, 10:48 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

As a new member of the Skoda fan club (225bhp 4x4 Turbo) after my last DBM Impreza Turbo, it seems to be common knowledge on BriSkoda that several Police forces have ordered the vRS as unmarked cars - you've just proved it !

I'm seriously impressed by the way...
Old 11 May 2003, 10:56 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

I had a right chuckle this morning at 2am!
Was in behind an unmarked cop car (easily spotted) when some t1t in a Corsa went flying past,over a crest he went and off went the cops. Stupid fool maybe thought it was me closing on him as he must have been hittin a ton for about 2 miles, PMSL when the blues came on,I'd have paid good money to see the expression on his face!
Old 12 May 2003, 11:21 PM
solwood
Scooby Regular

Hi flat 4x4 - what model skoda do you have - just checked on the Skodsa site and they do not list a 225 BHP model the VRS is 180BHp - has yours had some feckling? I know the VAG engine is easy to tune!!!
Old 13 May 2003, 01:54 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Solwood

Skoda's best kept secret !!!

The 4x4 Turbo (150bhp) has the identical drive by wire VVT engine
as the vRS (180bhp) but is detuned through the ECU to 150bhp (well 165 actually).

Here's the fun bit:-
The 180 engine (the same remember) re-maps up safely and soundly to within a nice range of 210-225 bhp. This is before you start playing with new exhausts and induction etc

Also, the 4x4 is basically the same (haldex) as the Audi TT quattro and you get switchable ESP as standard.

It is no Impreza (needs lowering etc from its 4x4 ground clearance), stiffer roll bars and uprated brakes, but I'm very happy with it after my Impreza Turbo wagon (with Tek2).

Think of it as a more comfortable S3 'estate' at with Audi build at a bargain price and you can't go wrong IMHO. As a guide on performance, an accurate 0-60 is around 6.5 seconds

Old 13 May 2003, 02:09 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Saw the white BMW on Stanborough road the other day. There I was minding my own business when I noticed the said car behind me in the distance. Then all of a sudden, bright blue lights, noise, the works. It whizzed past me onto the A414 towards Hertford.

There is also a undercover police car - silver astra, might be wrong - crusing the A1(M)inbetween Welwyn and Stevenage!!
Old 13 May 2003, 02:50 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Smile

Similar story for me the other day.

Coming along the dual section of the A33 from Basingstoke to Reading at a good pace; road dry, good visibility.

Notice that there's a W reg dark red Omega in the inside lane ahead (registration ends in MUD) and think "is that unmarked? Nah - W reg is too old" When it pulls in front of me and up pops the 'slow down' board in the back window!

I drop in behind him and trundle along until we get to the roundabout where he pulls into lane two, stops, puts on the lights and I pull up alongside. His words were; "When I'm doing nearly 80, I don't expect you to overtake me - enough said?" and went on his way.

Now that's proper policing in my book. Lesson learned and a flea in my ear!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 13 May 2003, 09:13 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

The rozzer was actually a top bloke and warned me they had bought a big number of them as they get them v cheap, and to keep an eye out. You would NEVER know it was a police car. No ariels sticking out etc...

Still cannot believe my luck. Ive never had such a big sinking feeling as when those blue lights came on I was actually selling the car the next day. Good move....

MB
Old 13 May 2003, 11:30 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spider - Ive been down that road at a fair old lick b4 and many times approached cars infront and thought is it, isnt it? never was luckily but Ill keep my eyes open

I was on the M3 a few months back and a new style beetle was all over my bumper, so I actually let him go(had next to no peccy) anyway followed him a bit, but then realised he was going 100 ish, and at which point he caught a Volvo, blue saloon. hmm me thinks, Volvo pulls into middle lane, Beetle carries on at his lick, I pull in behind volvo, then volvo follows beetle. Blue lights come on 2 mins later he he, unlucky beetle boy!