Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Call Me Over Sensitive BUT.........

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2003, 10:58 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made an effort to get to a 'meet' cause I'm always being told that I never go to any etc and when I arrive and say hello, i'm snubbed by everyone! Granted, I walked to it with my dog (and got soaking bloody wet in the process) as I no longer have a Scoob but everyone is always on about how nice the SN lot are blah, blah, blah and I find out that really, unless you have a car, you aren't really welcome

I wasn't expecting red carpet treatment when I got there or hero worship but a little friendliness wouldn't have gone a miss (especially from the people I knew). I actually felt like a sad old hanger on and maybe I am.

Don't mean to go on but it's really p*ssed me off! B*llox to it. Never again!
Old 28 April 2003, 11:01 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Question

What time were you there? I'd have said hello if I'd seen you, but didn't get to the Festival Inn until around 12:00.
Old 28 April 2003, 11:06 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Hi Tony, I know you would have! I was earlyish, bout 11.15 - 11.30. I'm just still really narked about it! Dog needed walking so i'd have been out and about anyway, it's just, I only went up there to see the SN lot! My own fault I guess! Won't be that silly agian!
Old 28 April 2003, 11:11 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Maybe they didn't realise who you were
P.S. Shaggy's back - I can see him 'w**king' at his desk right now...
Old 28 April 2003, 11:21 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I'd have come and said hello just to meet your dog

Bugger the car thing....LOL...

How's he settling down anyway?

D
Old 28 April 2003, 11:40 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

I'd love to have the view of Shaggy w**king at his desk LOL!!!!

I did put on the thread that i'd be there with the dog! Maybe they just thought I looked too viscious to be approached!!

Hi Diablo

Dog is great now actually, really settled in and calmed down. Having his 'nuts cut' was prob one of the best things we ever did!! Prob getting another dog in the near future. Was looking at getting a Shar Pei but apparently not good with kids, so narrowed it down to either a bull mastiff or a Whippett!!!
Old 28 April 2003, 11:42 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Most meets are like that from my experience. You have great banter with people on here, then when you actually meet some of them they dont really speak to you.

Doesnt go for everyone, as I have met some great folk on here, but meets are always funny IMHO
Old 28 April 2003, 11:47 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Well, I have made one good friend from here/at a meet, so I guess that's something! I guess you are either part of the 'click' or you're not! (I'm obviously not!) It's a shame but I guess thats technology for you, people don't know how to talk to each other anymore!!
Old 28 April 2003, 11:53 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

My first meet was like that. I'd taken a day off from work to go to Brand hatch on an SIDC day, as a spectator and few people even bothered to talk to me. The guys i'd spent hours in 22b chat with were blasie and a little off when I went up to talk to them.

I went home feeling what was the point.

BUT I made the effort and went to another meet and this time decided that I would make the effort to go and talk to them, get interested in what they were doing and had a great time. I concluded you get out what you put in, which is one of the reasons why I love moderating this BBS.

Sometimes it can seem a little Cliquey, but all I've needed to do is have the self confidence to go up and talk to people and hang and round listen until there's a subject I can contribute on. After that your in.

Stay in there and persevere IMHO
Old 28 April 2003, 12:13 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Bizarre Meets can be interesting things...especially if you don't really know anyone. Did they all know who you were? Sometimes at the Hants Pub meets you know there's someone "new" coming along but unless they come and introduce themselves you can often miss them -and not mean to! It's fine once people introduce themselves, and most I've met make the effort of talking to you I agree it does get easier once you know everyone though

..if you're ever down in Hampshire on the second monday of every month I'd love to meet your dog!
Old 28 April 2003, 12:28 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jen! I have been to meets before and I'm quite outgoing and friendly, not afraid to talk to strangers. Just our lot round here seem to be rather aloof!!! Maybe I just don't fit in! I mean, a woman that wants to talk bout cars and football, get drunk and sing rugby songs isn't everyones idea of what a lady should be!! Perhaps I'm a bit intimidating, make them feel less manly (he he)!

I really have got the hump over it! (my fella would tell me I have PMT if he knew how I was ranting, cause that's a blokes excuse for any bad mood a woman has innit?!) I'm not sl*gging any people in particular, i just feel quite let down and needed to vent off!
Old 28 April 2003, 12:29 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

I'll send you a photo of me w**king at my desk if you like, honey.. shame I was in Newcastle and not there, I'd have kept you more than happy

Old 28 April 2003, 12:49 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Rude Boy!!!!
Old 28 April 2003, 12:55 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Just the way love it
Old 28 April 2003, 03:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmm, that's not on! You are NOT being over sensitive! I remember feeling very intimated going to my first meet, did not know exactly what to expect and whether I'd be shunned but I was not. OK, maybe people did not know who you were, but even still, if you had said hello, then they could have at least have been gracious and said hello back. I've had people come up to me at meets who like the car and I always have time to chat to them, but then I'm a nice guy.

Don't let this put you off going to a meet, hell, I'm going to scoob meets here and I don't have a scooby over here, and there is no problem, actually I think a few might be a tad jealous about the ol hearse, heheheh!

I think there are a few people who are really pompus about the whole scoob thing and like the idea of a clique (sp?) kinda group, well, we are not all like that.
Old 28 April 2003, 03:58 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Red, please don't let this incident put you off. My other half went along to his first Scooby meet solo. I didn't go because a)he's older than a lot of the others. b).I'm 10 years older than him ! and I thought, hmmmm they'll not want to talk to me .(I've just become a granny too !!) However, I did go along to the next Meet with him and lo and behold, what a nice bunch of folks. So much so that I had no qualms about attending the Scooby Ball last Month. And once again, I was made more than welcome and had a "ball ".
Yes there are some who are a bit stand offish, but hey, life's too short, the ones who are friendly more than make up for that shortfall. Good luck.
Old 29 April 2003, 12:16 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry babe

Ladies and gentlemen, I fear that it is I and I alone which has caused this outrage. I should be taken round the back and given a right good beating by the offended young lady.
Forgive me father for I have sinned and I shall take my snivelling hide into the shadows and not re appear until my grovelling apology has been accepted.

Once I have been freed of this guilt, i'll explain what happened

Mikey
Old 29 April 2003, 01:24 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

Can we have the explanation now?
Old 29 April 2003, 02:27 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

I'm still mad!
Old 30 April 2003, 08:48 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

She's still barkin'

Mikey
Old 30 April 2003, 09:42 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Go on Mikey, explain what happened!