Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Concorde retires

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2003, 09:45 AM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A real shame IMHO. A great symbol of British (and French) engineering, and still as futuristic as the day it was launched.

Wonder what will happen to the 13 aircraft still in service? Probably get bought by some nice Greek chap, painted orange and flown to New York for £39 return.
Old 10 April 2003, 09:52 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Real shame - never flown on it, and could probably never afford to, but there is something about Concorde that no other aircraft have.

I'll miss it's rumble going overhead every morning

Interesting that the news partly blamed the Paris Concorde air crash as a reason for falling numbers - I wonder if the media have been guilty of blowing things out of proportion every time there is an "issue" with a Concorde. There have been many more crashes involving 747's, but we still fly on them!
Old 10 April 2003, 09:55 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Seriuosly considering having a go before it retires. I saw on the BBC that its only 3.7k return not a bad price to pay for going faster than a bullet whilst getting pished !! Happy days !!
Old 10 April 2003, 10:00 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Its £14778 for two return tickets to NY over the easter weekend, as I was just checking, the £3700 is a one-way price.

As for the aircraft they are going to all be retired and placed on display in museums, so no-one else is going to continue operating them.
Old 10 April 2003, 10:21 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fantastic aircraft, ridiculous ticket prices. Had the pleasure once - was lucky enough to be upgraded on a trip to New York. Something you never forget - 58,000 feet, mach 2, the sky black above you, the curve of the Earth below you. Real plates, real cutlery, leather seats, wonderful food, fine wine, XO brandy, and a signed certificate from the pilot (ok, so only 6 year olds are supposed to do that, but what the hell!!)

Old 10 April 2003, 10:22 AM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

[img]http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/images/letters/plusmember.gif
[/img]

Sad to hear that, I flew her a few times on company days out to NYC and it was a great experience. How the hell will people cross the atlantic now without wasting a whole day?

CONCORDE RIP
Old 10 April 2003, 10:31 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Apparantly it never made any money anyway.

Just a huge advert for BA, and I guess Air Frnace too.
Old 10 April 2003, 10:33 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Brother in laws father used to be a Concorde pilot for years until he retired a while ago. He said a while ago this was coming, but then it wasnt hard to see was it !!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 10 April 2003, 10:43 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flew back on Concorde from New York to London.

Amazing plane and experience, feel privileged that I had the chance to go on it. We sat on the first row, and had the console in front of us. When the pilots take off, they leave the door open, as apparently it goes to hot in their cabin! Gave me a perfect view of looking out

The console displays current speed and height, we peaked at 62000, and when at a speed of 2.2. Still have that picture somewhere
Old 10 April 2003, 11:23 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems a shame, consdering the millions spent on upgrades after the Air France crash.
I remember back in the sixties when they used to do supersonic testing down the west coast of Scotland. I was only a kid at the time but I still remember that double boom.
Old 10 April 2003, 11:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Just wondering, but: What if ticket sales now go through the roof for last chance trips, they make money, and decide it's viable after all??
Just wondering...............
Alcazar

God, I love conspiracy theories:
Old 10 April 2003, 11:53 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

People who have been on concorde... did you ever feel the windows??? how hot did they get!
Old 10 April 2003, 12:32 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Davy until the Paris crash, it did make money, a lot of money, that's why they sorted the problems at massive expense.

On the way back from NY I was in the departure lounge at JFK and watched it fly the circuit over Manhatten, with the setting sun behind it and in to land. In its upright attitude, nose dropped, it was instantly recognisable and just looked stunning against the skyline. The whole departure lounge fell silent and watched in awe as it come into land.

It made me very proud to be British and I am very jealous of you guys that have flown on it.
Old 10 April 2003, 01:01 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Real shame

Always planned to be rich enough to take my dad on it. No chance now

1000-off "supersonic celebration" flights on offer at special rates though HERE

London to NY on Concorde, returning on boring old conventional bus-de-sky.

Starting from £2K if you are prepared to come back scum class!
Old 10 April 2003, 07:05 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been working at Heathrow for more years than I can remember and everyday without fail I will have a ciggie at 10.55 just as she is about to roar over our building,(if they are taking off to the west) we are located 1/2 a mile from the end of the runway so you can imagine its pretty low, especially if there is a head wind as it takes on more fuel and comes over a little lower you can physically feel your inards moving
And you can't beat it coming in to land during the summer nose down with the sun setting behind it. I will try and get a piccy or two and post them

Dave
Old 10 April 2003, 07:54 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I think is a damn shame. It's a beautiful aircraft, and I for one would love to fly in it.

David
Old 10 April 2003, 07:56 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Is it me or is BA's site as slow as Concorde is fast ?

David
Old 10 April 2003, 08:19 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

£3999, return to the States bargain or what, offer on for one week only, got the price off the BA website.
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 April 2003, 08:27 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

I met the chief test pilot, the brain trubshaw at his house near tetbury ,i was showing him to use his alarm ,nice chap,great pictures and momentoes around his house ,he had a concord weather vein on top of his house..
Old 10 April 2003, 08:42 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sheepsplitter

I for one think thats in very bad taste, I think you should edit your post.

David
Old 10 April 2003, 08:45 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

Coming from Bristol concord plays a big part of the city being designed and partly built at filton..no dought it wiil be coming back for a final goodbye ..They used to do trips around the "bay a biscay"about 5-10 years ago from filton for about £300 each ,my mate took his wife for a trip,he said it was awsome on take off,landing after at heathrow then a coach back to filton..a concord is still at filton in a specialy built hanger for spares parts etc, look at bit scappy now though.
Old 10 April 2003, 08:57 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Shark: You have a right to your own opinion, but please don't think you have a right to censor others.

Old 10 April 2003, 09:13 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

[img]http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/images/letters/plusmember.gif
[/img]

Your comments really sadden me Sheepsplitter Concorde going down counts as one of the worst things that's happened in my lifetime. However you do have a very valid point about censorship- it sucks.
If you want to leave up your hurtful comments then I do fully support your right to say those things but I don't have to agree with it.
Old 10 April 2003, 09:16 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Sheepsplitter

I have had some great laughs recently seeing the p1ss taken out of the French re their attitude to the war in Iraqi. To say that you would rather see a plane load of French die rather than Germans is sick. The Concorde crash was a tragedy, and four French people died on the ground as I remember, as well as the French crew. I remember the news footage of the families of the German dead, the look of despair on their faces – do you seriously think that the one thing you would regret about Concorde would be to swap the German dead for the French?

I think you need to sit down and re-evaluate your views on human life what ever their nationality.

David
Old 10 April 2003, 09:52 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Looks like I've just had an easy Shark fishing trip.
Didn't take long to get a bite.
Old 10 April 2003, 10:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have never been at risk of dying on Concorde as I cant afford it and envy those who can die in such a stylish and opulent way, whatever nationality, best I can expect is Easyjet (once a year), makes me re-evaluate my opinions on budget air travel operators.

Love Concorde, , dont ever expect to see one fly again once grounded, as per the Vulcan, classified as a very complex aircraft and this means mega money to get an airworthiness certificate and if they arent earning money its just not viable to fly one, thats why there are no Vulcans still flying despite enthusiastic groups trying hard to get one flying again.

Old 10 April 2003, 10:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

What is sad is that all of the Concordes are 30-odd years old, and think how far technology has progressed in that time!

Imagine building a new Concorde, to the exact size and design as the original, but with carbon fibre and kevlar and all the other modern wonder materials?? It can't be that expensive to do so?

No commercial aircraft, in THIRTY YEARS, has matched Concorde for it's speed, beauty, elegance and so on - it is soooo sad to see it retire

mb (who has flown on Concorde, but sadly, it seems, never again)
Old 10 April 2003, 10:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

J4cko, why don't all the disparate Vulcan groups club together? We've got one languishing at Southend airport as you probably know, and as you say, they haven't got a hope of getting it back up. But if all the groups focused on one - say the one at Bruntingthorpe or Duxford, they'd surely have a damned good chance of achieving it? I for one would go anywhere in th UK to see an airborne Vulcan again. Fave aircraft of all time, bar none.
Old 10 April 2003, 10:18 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

To get back to the topic, I'll be very sad to see it go.

I remember watching it as it regularly flew near my school in the early seventies. Then actually being able to do a return trip to NY on Concrde a few years back is something I'll never forget.

Josh

Quick Reply: Concorde retires