Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

strange speedtrap in Eton

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2003, 09:05 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving towards Eton Wick from Eton this morning just as I left Eton (100yds from where the road turns into a 40 from a 30) had just speeded up in anticipation of the increase in the speed limit (wrong I know but you have left Eton by then and it is basically fields at this point,)came round the bend (under the railway bridge) and there was this huge board (10ft high by 5ft), displaying my speed (40 exactly!)with a big kill your speed sticker on it. I slowed down and the display showed this(at least I know my speedo is accurate now). There were no police there, just a silver 4x4 which was being manouvered next to the display, had wires coming out of it to power the sign. I think I am safe as I assume it was just a warning, bloody sneaky if not as everyone speeds up at that point and there was no way you could see it until you were right on top of it, there were three cars behind me all doing about the same speed. Anyway just thought I would warn people and see if you think I am in the clear.
Old 10 April 2003, 09:08 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

How is a 10ft x 5ft board sneaky?
Old 10 April 2003, 09:10 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Are you sure it was displaying your speed and not just the speed limit? There's loads displaying the speed limit which flashes if you're over it in in South - apparently they're very effective in reminding drivers of the limit

tbh, unless there were lines on the road or a nice police man nearby it's unlikely to be a speed trap. Also, if there's a camera they need the warning signs (you know, the black camera on the white background) sounds like you're ok
Old 10 April 2003, 09:11 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

lol@ Burr!
Old 10 April 2003, 09:20 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Angry

Burr, It was hidden behind a railway bridge so there was no way you could see it before you were on top of it (25 yrds away) and 50 yrds after it the road turns into a 40 anyway.
Old 10 April 2003, 09:42 AM
neil b
Scooby Regular

There's of them in Croydon, it does show YOUR speed and not the spped limit... I know because mine said 43 in a 30mph zone, despite the fact it was xmas eve and 3am!!! No cars linked up to power it though?
Old 10 April 2003, 10:35 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Scoobymoo, has it occured to you that because "everyone" speeds up to 40 there it designed to stop people doing it? Just be thankful it wasn't a GATSO and stop speeding in 30 zones.
Old 10 April 2003, 12:39 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

There's of them in Croydon, it does show YOUR speed and not the spped limit... I know because mine said 43 in a 30mph zone, despite the fact it was xmas eve and 3am!!! No cars linked up to power it though?
ok, ok I was just asking! tbh I've never heard of signs that flash your speed up, certainly not perminant ones (I work in Traffic Management) as to me that would be *very* dangerous e.g. "I wonder how fast I can get to before that sign" ...hence me thinking it was probably the other type.

Only trying to help

Oh - and Scoobymoo - I'm sure Burr was just joking, he's a jovial chap
Old 10 April 2003, 01:31 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

These are getting more common, and by all accounts are more effective than traps, especially at night when the "shock" factor works pretty well.

That said, I cannot see the boys in blue trading these for normal cameras !!
Old 10 April 2003, 02:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Jen, thats a good point, there's a couple of "Slow Down" signs near me and I love setting them off
Old 10 April 2003, 04:06 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

[whisper] me too [/whisper]
Old 10 April 2003, 07:29 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

GATSOs versus Electronic Warning Signs?

I know which i prefer

See http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/357.htm which also includes a pointer to TRL Report 548: 'Vehicle-activated signs - a large-scale evaluation'

mb
Old 10 April 2003, 08:09 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Here in the US they sometimes park a small trailer with a K-band radar unit and a large display showing the speed that the radar unit is seeing.

I love them, they let me check the accuracy of my speedometer reading.

Hmm, on an empty road, and with a stopwatch, they might make some good 0 - 60 measuring devices...
Old 10 April 2003, 08:18 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

I am all in favour of these speed limit reminders. They have a few in Norfolk and have proved more effective than speed cameras. In urban areas I believe all speed cameras should be preceded by a flashing warning sign, then if you get a ticket after ignoring the warning you deserve it. After all what is the point in a hidden or obscured speed camera that allows you to speed past it? It doesn't MAKE aware of your speeding.