This is an almost identical clone of another recent thread here

<edited for spolling>

[Edited by unclebuck - 4/3/2003 11:07:16 PM]
Old 03 April 2003, 09:18 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the supermarket either

Thinking of a short break/long weekend early July. Suggestions of where to stay, what to do, etc would be gratefully appreciated

Ta muchly
Mark
Old 03 April 2003, 09:37 PM
Luke
BANNED

Lived there for a bit.

Just to keep it simple..
1. Take lots of money
2. Take a few quid more
3. Take your credit cards
4. Dont try to out drink the ladies.... you will look an idiot!!
5. You are going to have a fantastic time.

let me know more about what you want to do.. then i can give you some more info.

There should be some old threads about Iceland..try the search.
Old 03 April 2003, 09:55 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Cheers Luke

A bit more detail:
Me and the g/f are going and things we'd like to see/do might include hot spa pools, geysers, lava floes, anything else of a wild and rugged nature. Whale watching perhaps. Probably looking to stop in Reykjavik.

I guess in July we're talking 24 hr daylight? Are the Northern Lights visible at that time of the year?

I've heard its expensive and then some but I've heard it's an experience not to be missed.

Mark
Old 03 April 2003, 10:10 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks again

Sure I didn't spot that thread when I did a search

Mark
Old 04 April 2003, 10:38 AM
Luke
BANNED

Ok

Well It all depends on if you are going to hire a car or use public/private transport.

Its simple in Iceland ...there is only 2 real roads!!!

They like us brits and its true they hate the yanks . This is due to KeflaviK USAF . They dont bring any money into the country... naot that Iceland needs money... They are all so bloody well off.

... Akuyeyri in the north is fantastic. I lived here for a bit. You can visit Myvatn. This is realy nice. Think its got the worlds best Duck colony there.Also for the Northern ligts its good. If you have the time I would drive around the island. Hofn is worth a visit. Great place to explore the Vatnajokull glacier. But if its only a few days stay south.

nearer to Reykavik you have . "Ping" (Pingvallavatn) site of the oldest "Parliament" in Europe Ahuge national park. Akrenes is a good day trip by boat. Also Gullfoss.

The quality of guest house etc can be basic when you get a bit inland!!! Like 3/4 of the building will be below ground. And the roof is covered with grass!!

the Blue laggon is worth the trip..Ok its a bit touristy..but you cant miss it. Ask around if there are any 4x4 Hill climbs on near by!!!! these events are mental!!!

Hotels are mainly superb. The nightlife BETTER than London. No nutters for a start. reccomend local "Brenavin" (Spelling??) wicked!! Skiing is a bit basic . Sknow mobile rides are fantastic.

Depending on how many days you go for... But you will go back.its that good aplace. Take some good Mosquito stuff with you... Still got the scars!!

[Edited by Luke - 4/4/2003 11:40:04 AM]
Old 11 July 2003, 10:35 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Luke

Thanks for the advice. We were there last weekend for 4 nights. Did the Blue Lagoon and Reykjanes peninsula, went whale watching (no whales ) and did the geysers, Gullfoss, Thingvellir tour.

Very impressed, wish I could have stayed for longer. Would have liked to see the glaciers up close. Hopefully I'll go back one day.

There's nothing like a hot shower that smells of rotten eggs

Trending Topics

Old 12 July 2003, 01:04 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

A great place, glad you enjoyed it. Did a month there once, including the full crampons and skis up to the summit of myrdalsjokull, and around the bottom of ejyaflyaklajokull. Dropped by bus near Skoga on the south coast, and worked our way up to landmanallauger (I'm sure I spelt some of them wrong!), with various interesting sidetrips on the way, and the thingvellir/gullfoss/geysir tour at the end. Daylight at 1am, cooking in hot springs, 6wd busses struggling to get up hills on main roads that are nothing more than a slightly flatter piece of ground. Fantastic!