Old 04 March 2003, 11:33 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

'Is the diet right for you?'

Overview of the Scarsdale diet

More detailed overview of the diet

More detailed look routine of the diet and recipes!

Before people say it doesn't work, please read about it more detail first!

Any diet which is low fat, low carb, balanced with no snacking will give reasonable results anyway!!!

I appreciate that the inital loss will be water!!!

[Edited by Andy Tang - 4/3/2003 11:34:11 AM]
Old 04 March 2003, 11:50 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No I haven't. I'm getting training for a Royal Marine PTI with 22 yrs professional experience.

I'm not saying these diets don't work, but the initial loss is always water, then muscle tissue, then fat. Our bodies are designed for survival. It looses water and muscle first before it relies on long-term stores i.e. fat.

I've been on a high-carb, low-fat diet for 6mths and my weights gone up from 11.5st to 12.5st. My bodyfat's dropped a good deal (although it was never high anyway), but as I put on more muscle and loose fat, my weight climbs.

My waist has dropped from 34" to 32" and although I still carry a few extra pounds around my waist (that's what happens to blokes ) I can still do hundreds of sit-ups and run 6min miles.

Of course, this won't work for everyone if you are excessively overweight - it would just take longer. The simple fact is you have to cut fats and burn more calories than your body needs.

Sorry, but it's that simple. Too many people are hung up on excess fat and never worry about being 'healthy' overall.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 4/3/2003 11:57:28 AM]
Old 04 March 2003, 11:55 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Putting on a stone in 6months is no good either.

Body should be aiming for that a year tbh! or less .Muscle cannot be put on that quick it will be fat

Probabaly explains your still carry a few extra pounds around my waist

Si

[Edited by super_si - 4/3/2003 11:57:43 AM]
Old 04 March 2003, 12:05 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Im eating 6meals a day and 5000 calories to put it on lol

How did you work you % out??

There is a formular i was 10-15% if i remember right, but its not that accurated, I dont know anyone with them pincer things

Si

[Edited by super_si - 4/3/2003 12:06:19 PM]
Old 04 March 2003, 12:32 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Smile

It worked for me before, so I will do it again!
Fair enough, but that's why your weight ballooned again. Just alter your diet, start enjoying exercise and it'll happen over time. Since it's a slower process, you'll adapt to it easier and the weight will stay off.

It's nothing personal, but people here at work nip my ear when it comes to summer and they always ask 'how can I loose x lbs before my holiday' If they'd come with me to the gym 3 days a week like I invited them too, they wouldn't have the problem.

Oh well, such is life I'm off to the gym now.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 4/3/2003 12:32:51 PM]
Old 03 April 2003, 10:18 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Anyone know of a good 2week diet, that will do get rid of excess fast?

Basically, one of my friends wants to go to the gym in about two weeks, but wants to loose some pounds they have put on before they go. So they thought a 2week diet to shed the extra pounds..

any recommendations?? Atkins?
Old 03 April 2003, 10:20 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Go to the gym now and work your nads off for two weeks. That'll shift it
Old 03 April 2003, 10:27 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Have a look at the 'Scarsdale diet', details can be found from a search on Yahoo!

Been doing it since Monday and I've already lost 3kg (6.6lbs!) And I haven't gone a day when I think "I'm really hungry!!!"

Low fat, low carb and no limits on certain foods! It's a four week plan, but the first 2 weeks is a strict diet with major weight loss and 2 weeks of careful eating to maintain it.

I haven't found anything negative about it, no doctors shaking their heads, etc.

I know a few people who have done it with fanastic results, but to maintain the weight loss will mean a lifestyle change!
Old 03 April 2003, 10:32 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

liposuction?

He has to watch though. If he starts exercising at 110% all he'll burn is carbohydrates, not fat. You need to train at a low intensity for at least 30mins, preferrably 60mins+ to burn fat.

If his weight drops, it'll be water he's loosing not fat.

Sorry, but I cannot believe that changing your diet alone will reduce fat instantly. You need to scientifically measure body fat and not rely on bathroom scales.

You'll loose water and muscle tissue faster than fat by simply cutting food intake.

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 10:39 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Stefan,

Have you been watching Diet Trials on BBC1?

There are people getting great results from Weightwatchers, Atkins, Slim Fast and Rosemary Conally (sp?) diets!

A few have done it by diet alone, some with moderate exercise and others with complete lifestyle changes involving regular visits to the gym.

It was also proved that the diets are reducing the fatty tissue!

The Scarsdale diet does recommend exercise as well!
Old 03 April 2003, 10:39 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Just got to the gym in 2 weeks dummy lol
Old 03 April 2003, 10:40 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Scarsdale Diet - Claims
Fast weight loss (10-20 pounds/ 2 weeks).
Simple to follow.
Scarsdale Diet - Drawbacks
Too low in calories for good health.
Weight loss is mostly water-loss, not fat loss.
Weight loss is therefore temporary.
A very strict diet plan, with restricted food choices.
Recommending such a high protein intake can (in practice) lead dieters to consume more fat than is safe for their health.
Scarsdale Diet - Summary
Not recommended. What's the point of losing weight only to regain it when you revert to more normal (higher-calorie) eating habits?
Old 03 April 2003, 10:46 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Here we go again.
Old 03 April 2003, 10:46 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Depends what you mean by high calorie! As I don't think I'm missing out on anything at the moment!!!

It's teaching me not to snack, which was a big downfall!! And also not to eat crap (like fast foods and takeaways!!)

As Diet Trails is proving with the Atkins diet, there is a very high fat intake, but yet people are losing weight and their calestrol(sp?) is coming down!!

Anyway you asked for a quick way to shift excess fat in 2 weeks!!! At the end of the day, the only proof I can offer, is that I'm now fitting into jeans I couldn't a week ago!! And I'm looking a lot less fat around the face!!

Even if it is a fad, it's working for me and by monitoring my weight, I can see that it is coming off!!
Old 03 April 2003, 10:47 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Anyway I will joining a gym soon to continue the weight reduction in the old fashion way... hard work and sweating!!!
Old 03 April 2003, 10:48 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Im with TK, i personally think its a load bollx trying to lose fat before starting the gym.

its kinda like trying to run before youve learnt to crawl imho
Si
Old 03 April 2003, 10:54 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Are you monitoring your weight using bathroom scales? You need to measure your bodyfat%, not just your weight.

I can loose 2lbs in 1 hour? How?

By going for a good fast run. I weight myself before and after and hey presto 2lbs has magically disappeared.

Yes it magically evaporated off my back when I sweated it out

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 10:58 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

At the end of the day, what works for someone, may not work for someone else!

The example in Diet Trails is a woman who has done more or less every 'fad' diet under sun and she has lost a great deal on the Atkins!

My biggest weight loss from 16 stone to 13.5 stone was by spending 5 days a week, 2 hours a go in the gym!!! And that was with no modification to my diet! Took about 3 months to get down to that, then it was just maintaining it!!

I've obviously let myself go again, so back into the gym for me!!!

I keep going on about it, but I think that Diet Trails has blown away a few myths, as they are checking weight, body fat and acutal physical size. I appreciate that there are nearly 300 people doing it and they are only concentrating on people with the biggest losses or those who are entertaining and make 'great TV'!!!
Old 03 April 2003, 11:00 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

What's the best way to measure body fat?

I revert back to my initial example, I'm losing my 'love handles' and my face is getting thinner!!! All the things I wanted to achieve!!
Old 03 April 2003, 11:04 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

TK,

I don't think I've made any outrageous claims.

I'm giving website with unbias (as much as they can be) advice!

I'm telling people what *IS* working for me right now, and what has worked for ME in the past! (albeit my fourth day on the diet)

Although nothing is as good as a healthy diet and exercise!!
Old 03 April 2003, 11:04 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Si,

I'm fit and healthy; I've got fitness tests (i.e. scientific data) to say so.

OK, 6mths is a bit of an exageration, probably add 2 mths to that figure. The point is I don't care about my weight. It's my bodyfat % that's important.

Most of the weight will be muscle, but I agree some is fat; this is a good thing for my type of training.

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 11:12 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

The atkins diet.
It's actually not a diet, more of a change of eating style.
First 2 weeks are a living hell, but I lost 1 1/2 stone in 2 weeks!!!!
It's a low carb, high fat diet. www.atkinsresource.com (from memory)
Old 03 April 2003, 11:14 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Your Doctor can do this for you or most sport centres/Universities off a fitness assessment where they will cover important stuff like bodyfat%, cholesterol & heart/lung capacity.

You may be loosing your love handles, but it'll be excess water and muscle not fat - unless your doing regular exercise too.

You can achive 2lbs loss in a few weeks simple changing diet and exercising for 20mins per day.

Most of these diets have a quick effect, then people don't stick with them or exercise and they balloon back up shortly after. Does anyone really want to stick to these 'fad' diets for years?

Sorry, but if anyone's weight goes up and down constanly, then they need to look at a lifestyle change and not rely on these fad diets.

Exercise doesn't need to be a burden. Rather than join a gym, get out with friends and family for jogs, mountain biking, walks in the hills or any team sport. You can exercise and enjoy yourself at the same time.

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 11:18 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Stefan,

I don't disagree with you!

As I said previously, I will be joining a gym!! It worked for me before, so I will do it again!
Old 03 April 2003, 11:28 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Sorry, forgot to say about the bodyfat%. The old method involved calipers and measurements from various parts of your body - thigh, waist, back, biceps - I think that's them all. It was then some calculation based on your age, height and total bodyweight.

The new one uses technology to measure some resistance through your body. Some more expensive bathroom scales have these, but the accurate ones are usually only found in Universities or Sports Clubs.

I've changed my diet slightly over the past month. I roughly take on 3000-3500 calories made up of approx. 75% carbs, 20% protein and 5% fat. I also drink about 2 litres of water/sports drink per day, but I do about 2hrs of exercise 6 times a week and sometimes up to 10hrs when I'm on the mountains.

I'd recommend anyone go along to their local sports centre and ask if they run a fitness assessment. Even your Doctor will do this for you - all you need to do is ask. They can advise you on whether you need to make important changes.

One of the lads here at work is 55 and has been a competitive fell runner for 20yrs. When it comes to running, he's far fitter than I am, but he had a cholesterol check and it was twice mine. OK, I'm nearly 30 yrs his junior, but it highlighted a risk.

You need to look at overall fitness and not just some specific area like love-handles or how much you weigh. Britain is terrible for heart attacks, so it's nothing personal, just want to make sure we all learn to start living healthier.

OK, I'll step off my soap-box now

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 11:35 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

You have a got a 'soapbox' thing about weight loss haven't you???
Old 03 April 2003, 12:02 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

I've been doing the Atkins for about a month. Lost half a stone in ten days and over a stone in three weeks.
I'm upping the carbs now and doing a lot more exercise, but will never return to big plates of pasta or tatties.
Old 03 April 2003, 05:36 PM
terzo42
Scooby Regular

just a quick word on bodyfat scales ,if these are only supposed to pick up fat then heres the thing,set them up and see your weight and bf% then set them up again just the same and get on holding a 10kg plate ,not only will you gain 10kg but also a large % of bodyfat this says to me they are just guessing on your height and weight so use callipers your doctor should have some.
Old 03 April 2003, 06:54 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about the cheap bodyfat scales you buy?

The professional ones are very accurate. The ones I've been out on are at Edinburgh Uni and have a height bar built into them. You enter your sex and age and it builds all that into the calculations.

Hold onto a big lump of iron and it's bound to screw up the readings.

The last fitness test I undertook used calipers and it was pretty accurate too. I've another fitness test next week, so I'll see what the results are.

Stefan
Old 03 April 2003, 07:53 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

At xmas I made a new years resolution to lose weight, at this point, I've lost 13KG's (just over 2 stones) by eating healthily and going to the gym 6 days a week. well addicted to running and other cardio now.

Not finding it hard now i've got into a routine.

Andy

Quick Reply: 2week diet?