Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is the public really anti-war or just reluctant?

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2003, 09:41 PM
yikes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I really had to think twice before posting this, but....

The anti-war brigade have been very vocal and mounted an excellent PR campaign and the anti-war march had a good turn-out, although I feel that a pro-war march would have support but apathy &/or indifference would result in a low turnout.

When it comes to threads on war, I hesitate to comment, because inevitably in a war, innocent people are going to lose their lives.

On the other hand, innocent people are already losing their lives under the current Iraq regime.

I feel that the war is "necessary", but feel uneasy in proclaiming this as a) I wouldn't have the courage to fight if called upon and b) what right do I have to proclaim support for war when innocents will die?

However, I am becoming increasingly irritated by repeated public claims by "celebrities", "rebel" politicians and biased TV audiences claiming on my behalf that the British public don't support the war.

Personally, up until now I have had very little time for Tony Blair but the man does have my respect for his courage in standing up on this issue, as I really didn't think he had it in him.

It also irritates me when I hear all the anti-american bull$hit. I had a fairly low opinion of Mr Bush jnr, until post September 11th when he proved himself as a man and a politician. His initial restraint and subsequently measured response was admirable.

There is the argument that "does Iraq pose a clear danger the the allies?" - well, did Iraq pose any clear threat to Kuwait before they invaded, and did the Taliban regime pose any threat to New York pre September 11th?

I guess that my question should be "Is there a silent majority in reluctant support of the forthcoming conflict?".

Cheers
Richard

Edited for grammar/spelling

[Edited by yikes - 3/17/2003 10:14:28 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 09:47 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm not for it,but as its going ahead,i'll support Blair.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:02 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I don't really think anyone's "for it", but Tony Blair is doing what he thinks is right. We ( the great unwashed ) voted him in after all.

When I say "we" I didn't mean me - 31 yrs old and never voted, so I suppose I can keep my opinions to myself, I would go to war for my country, but only in the field I know - standby power, forget that cannon fodder malarkey - remember, death can be fatal.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's those ******* at the end of Downing Street shouting hystericly as Prescott makes a statement to the media that pi$$ me off [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Don't they have any work to do?? They should be arrested immediately [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] That's just an abuse of freedom of speech IMO [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 17 March 2003, 10:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 'Don't cares' are more numerous than either those FOR and those AGAINST

For my pennies worth, I support Blair and Bush - Saddam is one hell of a bully and needs to be taken out of power. Its NEVER ever had ANYTHING to do with weapons - purely about getting a madman out

Pete
Old 17 March 2003, 10:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I still don't quite know why we're going to war.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:21 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

This may sound like a totally stupid and uneducated statement, but the like of Chris Ryan and Andy Mcnab keep telling us how good the SAS are in the books they write ( fiction based on true events ??? )

so why wasn't Saddam taken out years ago?

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2003, 10:22 PM
yikes
Scooby Regular

JackClark: I agree that the Goverment have failed to maintain consistency in their arguments for the war.

Perhaps wider publicly acclaimed support could have been gained of they had just said "We want him out because he's a vicious murdering ****!".

Cheers
Richard
Old 17 March 2003, 10:28 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

mj,

Saddam has quite a few body doubles, i.e. people who look like him. These are used at public events where the principle cannot easily be protected.

I.e. it is always Saddam on the TV and in meetings, but public events it is usually a body double.

There has been years of discusion on "taking Saddam out" with a few infiltrators, but the secret police type regime makes it difficult. In addition, some guy looking like Andy McNab would stand out a mile, hence you need someone who is basically ethnically Iraqi, can speak the langauge etc. They would then have to work their way up in the military etc. to even get close to Saddam long enough to attempt an assasination. And chances of making an escape are small.

Yes, it could be done I guess, but would be hard and would no doubt be a deniable op.

Much easier to actually invade the country and either chase him out or 'remove' him in country.

Cheers

Ian
Old 17 March 2003, 10:36 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

:Tarrantino: why not pop a cork in the body doubles asses any way? :Tarrantino: - ultimateley it would only make it more difficult for Mr Hussein to speak to the masses, there can't be that many SH stunt doubles can there?
Old 17 March 2003, 10:42 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

are the anti-war brigade up in arms about what he does to his own ppl or what is going on in zimbabwe...no course not

just a lot of fifth columnists that make saddhams cause stronger and cloud everybodys judgement

they make me sick to the stomach
Old 17 March 2003, 10:44 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

just read it again,

some guy looking like Andy McNab would stand out a mile
getaway
Old 17 March 2003, 10:45 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

just read it again,

some guy looking like Andy McNab would stand out a mile
No **** sherlock
Old 17 March 2003, 10:46 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

oops-hit reply instaed of edit..
Old 17 March 2003, 11:00 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

*everyone* is reluctant to go to war. fundamentally.
some will never, ever condone it, for a variety of reasons, despite the long-term consequences.

i don't want to go to war. but if we don't, we store up worse for the future. i am reluctantly in favour of armed action in order to prevent the proliferation of WMD by rogue states amongst terrorists who would indescriminately kill me, mine and yours.

last time it was airliners. next time it may be ebola in a suitcase on a rush-hour tube train. or sarin. or VX. or botulinum. or semtex. or uranium 235.

turn your back, betray yourself. we've been here before.

watch the opinion polls - for what they're worth. they are moving moving increasingly in favour of armed action. the UN security council has become an irrelevant anachronism that achieves nothing.

i back blair & bush all the way on this. i back our armed services, the US armed services and the australian armed services in this.

i hope for a fast resolution; a quick victory; as few civilian casualties as modern precision technology allows; and a peace that ultimately delivers a free iraq and helps promote tolerance between arab and jew. above all, i hope for the speedy and safe return of the few who are willing to do what the many are not.

Old 18 March 2003, 06:26 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

War with Iraq won't stop or even delay the plans of terrorists. In fact its likely to create a lot more terrorism and anti US/UK feelings. The fact is if you want to wage war on the sponsors of terrorism the US and UK would be better invading Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are the ones who funded the 9/11 attacks and they will fund further attacks on those they view as infidels.
I hope I'm wrong but this war will have unpleasant consequences and make not the slightest bit of difference to the terrorists will and capability to attack our cities. I am very glad I don't live anywhere near London or any other major city.