Woodrough Keys ???

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2001, 08:33 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

OK

At the risk of being Mupetised (what does this mean?) I've got to ask.

What are the 3 strange simicircular holes in the centre console that look like woodrough key sockets?

I thought perhaps they might be switch blanks. But surely no one would design a switch blank that collects that much cr@p.

If you know do tell.

Fiasco...

Old 02 March 2001, 08:45 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Don't know what woodruffe keys are but if the bits your on about are what i think they are, is it for temp sensor for climate/air con.

Si
Ps Being muppetted usually happens when either Dave T-S or myself post on your thread
Old 02 March 2001, 09:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You are talking about a manufacturer who supplies a £20K + car with no variable intermittant wiper, no variable panel lighting, no heated front screen option but who does give you a switch to brighten the tiny clock! How can you question their design of the switch blanking plugs?
Old 03 March 2001, 09:36 AM
Moss
Scooby Regular

The keys in question are semi-eliptical bits of metal that slide into a slot in a tapered shaft to hold (usually) a pulley wheel on. Typical example can be found holding alternator pulleys onto shaft. (The clutch on my BSA is held on by one.) Most cars have splined shafts now so woodruff keys are a thing of the past.

I think the blanking plugs have a dished appearence so as they can double up as coin holders? But they only work with Yen, and unless they are full of coins the money will fall out!
Old 03 March 2001, 03:11 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Chaps.

But come on, someone must have a better idea.

Moss. Spot on with the woodruff key description. Good to know there are some octagenarians out there still

However the Yen fall out when braking.

Fiasco
Old 03 March 2001, 05:45 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

I think (I may be wrong) but the two holes next to each other are for heated seat option on the other models and the other hole is for the diff control on the Jap STI models.

I know a few people at work that spend lotts of money on options for their VW, BMW, Merc to fill all the holes

Got a variable wiper control on my MY00 and some nice map lights The main curtesy light also comes on when I go round a corner hard. I would not have it any other way.

I also have to explain to every new person who rides in the car what the bright switch is. They then look round for something to hold onto
Old 04 March 2001, 06:18 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

SiCotty

If I can't fill the holes without spending lots of money, then they can jolly well stay un-filled. I ain't about to change the habit of a lifetime on this

Thanks to you all for your input on this most vexing of questions. Apologies to Moss for the octagenarian bit.

How the hell deos one do those grinning smilies.

Fiasco.
Old 05 March 2001, 08:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

They're useless. Mine have given their life to accomodate the plain view coded valet switch for my alarm, and remote control of my bass cube sound processor thingy.

The final one is still there, until I need to mount an LED or something, then it too will be going.

(Glad I'm not the only one to wonder what the hell Woodrough key sockets are )
Old 05 March 2001, 09:20 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi

Am i right in thinking you mean the console where the mirror control and handbrake is??

If so i always thought the holes you mention are for holding coins......

Ian
Old 06 March 2001, 07:02 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ian

If you keep your coins in there how do you stop them falling down the handbrake slot every time you brake??? And how do you avoid people breaking in to nick your - o' so - loose change??

Are there less b@stards to the square mile were you come from (still trying to do those illusive grinning smilies.

SiCotty

Map lights are redundent in my rocket ship, I now have Tina aboard and navigation has never been so good --- Anyway - paradise by the map light just ain't the same as by THE DASHBOARD LIGHT (is this a grinning smilie)

Happy days !!!

Fiasco
Old 06 March 2001, 07:09 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you're a bad bad boy fiasco! still we've all done it!
Old 06 March 2001, 08:21 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Red face

WHAT ?????????????? (cracked the grinning smilie thing - wooooopee -- iis easily pleased - sad in'nt it)

Fiasco