Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone play squash here?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 03:50 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've been playing for a few years and aint bad but need to improve me game (keep gettin' beat )

Anyone else play? Anyone know any good links with info on improving your game?

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk

Old 05 March 2003, 03:52 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I keep getting beat as well, even though been playing for about 5 years. Feel any better now?

Charlie.
Old 05 March 2003, 10:32 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Like any sport, practice makes perfect. Key to squash is to make your opponent do the running (ie play the ball wherever he/she isn't), control the T, and know when to play aggressive or defensive.

A book I've found useful in the past is Ian McKenzie's Squash Skills - this version looks to be updated from the one I have but its probably just cosmetic.

The problem with squash is that there will always be someone better than you, and the nature of the game means that a marginal difference in skill ends up in a very one-sided scoreline usually. Playing against different players is to be recommended because that way you learn a few tricks from other people's playing styles.

The other key to squash is being fit of course Being able to run shots down in the 5th set is a definite bonus.

Hugh
Old 05 March 2003, 11:26 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Ive been playing twenty years (Im 30 now) and at 18 stone I have to be reasonably skillful as Im obviously not fast. I rely on my years of experience to read the game and my opponents shots and technical ability (I had a lot of professional coaching as a kid) to beat players much fitter than myself with good shots.

Not blowing my own trumpet (much ) but I was a county player for a few years when I was 12-16 ish and played in tournaments around the country.

Now I play socially, although I still play competitvely but in a friendly manner, and have to say I much prefer it to all out competition.

The KEY to improving as everyone has said is to play different players. If you only ever play "your mate" neither of you will improve beyond a certain point.

Have a few lessons and learn how to hit the ball in the "technically correct" fashion - feels awful if you're self taught, and feels all wrong, but trust me it makes all the difference in the long term.
Old 03 June 2003, 09:09 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

thanks for the advice folks, I'll check out the link later. I guess the problem is I either play league players and get my *** whooped or play friends who dont play much (which is the only time I get to win )

I'm 31 and pretty fit (also swim a mile twice a week) so that aspect isnt a problem really.

Thinking about it, the other problem is my accuracy, which, like anything should improve with experience (just doesnt seem to be happening yet!)

Off to check out the link now

cheers

Neil

[Edited by NeilT - 3/6/2003 9:11:17 AM]