Aptitude tests etc in job interviews?!

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 02:44 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hi all,

I have an interview tomorrow for a job, and Im told Ill get an interview with an HR person, an aptitude test, 2 written tests and an interview with technical person. Yikes!!

Anyone had an aptitude test or written test, any ideas what it might be on - I dont think its going to be technically specific(think thats what the 2nd interview is for)

So what was in it if you did, can I possibly revise???

cheers

AP

Old 05 March 2003, 02:57 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends what sort of job you're going for I suppose.

I'd guess the written may just be simple (or not maybe) literacy and/or numeracy tests? As for the aptitude tests, again depends on your line of work.
Old 05 March 2003, 02:59 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've done several. There are lots of variations out there. Relax and take it as it comes is the best advice I can give.
Old 05 March 2003, 03:00 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Do people still use psychometric tests? I've done a few of them and again the best advice is to relax and take things as they come.
Old 05 March 2003, 04:30 PM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ADP,

I've done quite a few and I agree with the advice on here so far. Just chill.
Is it an IT job you're going for?, cos if it is I would guess that the two types you're going to get are mathematical reasoning and English comprehension.
The maths one is usually just spotting patterns in series of numbers, although I have had one where you had to mentally manipulate 3d shapes etc.
the english one is always the nightmare for me, cos it seems that they try and confuse on purpose.
Final advice would be:
Don't panic and try and be as accurate as possible. It looks worse if you get 20% right and attempted them all than it does if you get 95% right of those that you attempted. If you see what I mean.

Oh yeah! and the other thing they like to do is put you in with other people!! now this is just like having exams back at skool... there's always one that seems to be writing loads more than you.. ignore them and go at your own pace... they'll probably be just messing it all up anyway.

Good luck mate

Mojo
Old 05 March 2003, 06:49 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

They are a complete waste of time IMHO, I've done a couple one of which was number sequences, but was flawed in the extreme (I could have made a point for just about any of the possible answers) Another was with Rare and it was impossible - my CV at the time never claimed I knew anything about assembler, so how I was supposed to answer questions on it was well beyond me. I ended up handing back an almost blank sheet of paper

Good luck