Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

where to buy a cheap tv?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 03:06 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend wants a 32 inch flat wide screen 100Hz tv.

Any ideas where to get it cheap?

no dolby digital or the like. Just nicam.

Have checked what hifis classifieds atc, but want some insider type special knowledge. anyone?
Old 14 September 2001, 03:44 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Talking

If your mate's not bothered about it being brand new, he do do a lot worse than going to his nearest Radio Rentals, or equivalent, to see when their next disposal of rental sets is.
Muchos cheapos
Cheers
Kav
Old 14 September 2001, 04:44 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

is he sure he wants wide-screen.

I bought a widescreen tv 32" 100Hz jobbie.. and to be honest it's a pain in the bum as most of the stuff on TV is in normal aspect ratio, so you end up having to have the picture really small, or chop the top and bottom off to save stretching the picture out.

I don't think I'll bother again.

It *is* nice watching the odd film that's broadcast in widescreen, but to be honest I wish I'd bought a bigger normal ration screen.

Probably teaching to suck eggs, but just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

Simon
Old 15 September 2001, 06:19 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Depends how cheap is Cheap, Ringselectrical do the Panasonic TX32PK20 for £749 which is last year's model but they will probably discount if you ask,
Old 17 September 2001, 12:30 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Simon:
The reason your aspect ratio is wrong is because you're probably watching terrestial TV through your aerial.

Get yourself a Sky Digibox, set it to 16:9 and Bobs your Uncle

Don't even need to subscribe to Sky - BBC and other channels are free and ITV is due soon apparently.

Kevin.
Old 17 September 2001, 12:55 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kav:
<B>If your mate's not bothered about it being brand new, he do do a lot worse than going to his nearest Radio Rentals, or equivalent, to see when their next disposal of rental sets is.
Muchos cheapos
Cheers
Kav[/quote]

I need a TV to take to uni and was wondering where I could get a cheap one, thanks for the idea!
Old 18 September 2001, 12:14 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Kevin Greeley,

Not sure your correct there, but understand where your coming from. 16:9 on a digi box or cable box with the TV set to 16:9 should give you a widescreen 16:9 picture on the screen. Try setting the TV to intelligent switching, if you can!! With mine you can Panasonic TX32 ?? (non pro-logic)

Off-air studios (ITV, BBC) are quite bad at getting the signalling right for the broadcast format (i.e 4:3, 16:9). Sky are much better.

On another point the 100 Hz TV sometimes displays juddering due to Multiplexing incompatibilities, of the broadcasters. I would switch this function off if you can.

I would recommend staying away from 100 Hz TV, if your thinking of going out and buying one. MPEG encription has it shortfallings for the savings in bandwidth over an analogue signal.

Hope this helps, Phill C
Old 18 September 2001, 09:11 AM
chuckdog
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Costco are pretty good, I just bought a 32" Toshiba £300 less than Tempo/Comet. And all their TV's come with a 3 year warranty, so in fact saved even more.
(Damn so now I also have a spare 29" 4:3 TV sitting around )
Chuck
Old 18 September 2001, 01:23 PM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Don't forget John Lewis, believe it not they can do some very good deals. I bought a 36" Widescreen Philips last year and they beat everyone. Don't foget when buying a big TV a new tube is expensive so when discount places quote they'll quote you with 12 months waranty + delivery. Then take the same deal to John Lewis, you get five years waranty and delivery included. You'll be surprised, I was!!