Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody need to lose a pound or two...

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2001, 06:35 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Right folks, who needs to lose a pound or two ??

I did, and ive lost 2 1/2 stone since April on the low carb diet. Its a easy diet to do and really does become a way of life. Take a look here fo some help
Old 11 July 2001, 09:21 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

Paul,

does beer contain carbs?? Just wondering, 'cos my beer diet just isn't working!!

Oh, and i can't believe that you are down to 28 stone now - are you coming to NCT1?

mb
Old 12 July 2001, 12:10 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ Chris

Paul.....Unfortunately for me I don't eat meat or fish at all and my normal diet consists mainly of pasta/rice/bread so if I went on your diet I would get very thin indeed LOL

mind you, that's not a bad idea at all
Old 12 July 2001, 12:40 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
<B>Haven't really changed what I eat, just how much. For instance, I have one sandwich at lunch instead of two.</B>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but Chris, thats still a double bacon, egg, sausage breakfast sandwich

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
<B>but aren't McFlurry's lurvely?
[/quote]

Don't.....I've got into a habit of having one of these each evening on my way home from work. No wonder I'm a lardass
Old 12 July 2001, 12:45 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

ScoobyChick,

Don't laugh, but I used to go to Slimmers World *hangs head in embarassment*

The idea was similar to Atkins but you had the option of RED or GREEN plans. Only foods in each 'plan' could be eaten in a day (separated by a nights sleep)

Red plan = high protein, low fat, no carbo
Green Plan = Hign Carbo, low fat, no protein.
This way you could vary your diet.
However, I did find I lost more weight the more I stayed on the red plan. The arguement in favour of the Green plan is.....how many fat vegatarians do you know? (real ones, ie no dairy products)

Chiark,
I can understand the heart issues of the 'typical' low-carbo diets, which give you the false sence of security that you can eat buckets of cream and whole churns of butter. Restricting your fat intake is common sence.
This then allows the body to realise that sugar is not readily available in the digestive system so it starts converting stored fat into sugar (or ketones, to be precise) BUT...if the calorie intake is also low (slimmers world promote a 'each as much as you want' lifestyle) the body can turn to muscle protein to assist with the breakdown of stored fats. Problems start when the muscle involved is the heart muscle. This form of ketosis is more likely to occur in cases of stavation.

One thing that always puzzled me was that, statistically, most people who are overweight also suffer from diabeties (sp?) In this case, surely messing around with body sugar levels is NOT a good idea. However, some insulin dependants find it useful to restrict carbo intake (but carefully monitored)

[This message has been edited by DavidLewis (edited 12 July 2001).]
Old 12 July 2001, 09:33 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Well i still drink plenty of the old amber nectar mate

Just cut out all bread, rice, pasta, caffene, sugar, fruit and anything that has carbohydrate in it, except lager

Paul
Old 12 July 2001, 09:52 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Hi Walker,

Tried something similar 5 years ago. Lost 31lbs in 5months. Problem is, it all comes back, with interest, when you stop. I'm now 17lb heavier than when I started. The key is to REALLY make this part of your lifestyle.

Now.....where did I leave that pie

David.

Trending Topics

Old 12 July 2001, 09:55 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Also, drinking beer can't be too much of a problem if its a 'premium' beer, since "all the sugar is turned to alcohol"
Old 12 July 2001, 09:58 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Congrats, sir! I'm starting to lard up, so am trying to do something about it...

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but diets very much depend on your metabolism and will power. What works for some won't work for others. Also, a low carb diet is potentially dangerous -
Old 12 July 2001, 10:17 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with what Chiark says, low-carb diets can be potentially dangerous as can any diet which restricts/bans certain food groups.

The best way IMHO to lose weight is to eat a healthy, balanced diet. I have a few friends who have recently started dieting with weightwatchers, they're all complaining that they have too much food to eat now and are all losing weight

The key to succesful dieting, as Paul says, is to change the way you eat forever and not to go from one 'fad' diet to another. I only wish someone had told me this years ago before I started on my first 'fad' diet

Sal (old fart too )

[This message has been edited by scoobychick (edited 12 July 2001).]
Old 12 July 2001, 11:13 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

I really think that this diet is a way of life. Its superb, you can eat bacon and eggs, as much meat as you like, i usually have a ham salad or something like that and try to keep away from the fatty foods they say you can eat. I will be sticking to this for life.

Cheers

Paul
Old 12 July 2001, 11:15 AM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

I've gone for the "pound yourself into a hole at the gym" option. All started when I brought some new jeans and found I need a 42 waist!

Haven't really changed what I eat, just how much. For instance, I have one sandwich at lunch instead of two. I'm back to a 38 now and a hell of a lot fitter than before. Motivation can be hard, but having a friend who also goes is a big help as you can drag each other along.

We really shouldn't go to Maccy D's for something to eat afterwards though, but aren't McFlurry's lurvely?

ChrisB.
Old 12 July 2001, 01:46 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Yeah but Chris, thats still a double bacon, egg, sausage breakfast sandwich <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do ask for everything to be deep fried in vegetable oil rather than lard now though.

If we go the gym in the morning, it's breakfast at Maccy D's instead. I get tortured in my office, as the guys I work with usually go round the chip-shop for lunch. I MUST resist...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Don't.....I've got into a habit of having one of these each evening on my way home from work. No wonder I'm a lardass <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He heh.

We had tea at the gym on Tuesday night. Went for the healthy "grilled chicken on Ciabatta with mozzarella" option. Very nice, but Michelle, erm, "persuaded", me to detour via Maccy D's for the Caramel McFlurry (my favourite). Oh well, just have to work harder tomorrow night...

ChrisB.
Old 12 July 2001, 01:53 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

1 x Caramel McFlurry = 10,000 situps/50 lengths of olympic sized swimming pool/3 hours on exercise bike
Old 12 July 2001, 02:21 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I was surprised to find the Slimming World diet worked.. the bonus being that (within reason) you could eat pretty much as much as you wanted.

The main problem with diets usually, is that you're starving for the most part.. and morelikely to go binge down McD's when you're depressed.

Now I spend 30 mins in the gym a day on the rower rather than dieting, as it's better cardiovascularly
Old 12 July 2001, 03:01 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Wink

boomer: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>does beer contain carbs?? Just wondering, 'cos my beer diet just isn't working!!

Oh, and i can't believe that you are down to 28 stone now - are you coming to NCT1?
[/quote]

I could also do with loosing a few pounds, but give up beer? OI, WALKER, NOOOOOOOO!

Chris
Old 13 July 2001, 04:58 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Chris...............i definateley havent given up beer!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 July 2001, 03:25 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ChrisB:
<B>I've gone for the "pound yourself into a hole at the gym" option. All started when I brought some new jeans and found I need a 42 waist! ...

ChrisB.[/quote]

Sounds familiar. After hitting the big three-oh each new pair of jeans was a size bigger. Took myself off to the gym a month ago. One 1 hour workout on the way to work and the way home each day for 21 days shrunk me from 36 back to 30. Now three hours a week will keep me in shape. I haven't changed my diet at all.
Any diet on its own will never work. Your metabolism will adjust to suit the new amount of calories you eat. You need to excercise to get the flab off and keep it off. Fad dieting will cause your weight to yo-yo. Diet for a month and the start eating again and your body will begin to prepare for the next time you decide to starve it. You will end up a couple of pounds heavier than when you started. You will go on another diet....
Old 17 July 2001, 09:15 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>i definateley havent given up beer!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

Tell me more! Can you drink wine too, lot's of?

Chris
Old 18 July 2001, 06:12 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I'm on the seefood diet

As in See the food & Eat it.

McFlurries, great, I like the smartie type.

Oh & 1/2 a larger shandy with lime once a week is just not enough for me.

Barge built like a barge realy
Old 18 July 2001, 06:32 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Are low carbs what they fit to flat engined cars
Old 31 August 2001, 04:55 PM
ChrisB

BTTT!

So folks, how are we getting on?

Still living on McFlurries? Still drinking 10 pints a day?

ChrisB.
Old 31 August 2001, 05:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

low carb does work, no question unless you are a genetic oddity

only reason it wont is if you cheat- but then you're not doing it so that don't count.

only prob is with HDL's etc but avoid this buy using your brain! the idea that you can stuff yourself with red meat, cheese and bacon etc and not have probs is daft.

also zero carbs is stupid as well, i have ceral in the am and thats fine for a day (u know when your carbs are to low as you get tired by lunch time

eating white meat, fish and vegatables and salads is not bad for you.

putting a platefull of rice, pasta, spuds in your mouth every meal is dumb- unless you plan to run 20 miles after all that energy. its like filling your car up every day to drive 2 miles to work.

only prob is that most people dont care enough to do it. losing weight is very simple, do not put that sh1t3 in your mouth.

Tiggs (ripped to the bone )

ps- beer is liquid carbs so good luck