Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flippin Sony TV up the spout!! - can i demand a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2001, 03:34 PM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hello everyone

Just wanted to hear what you guys think, as i know some of you are in law etc..

I bought a Sony DVB three months ago and the day before yesterday it packed up - can't turn it on by remote and the stanby light goes out straight away, indicating a fault (according to instructions).

Mastercare sent out an engineer today who promptly took the back off, heavy handedly pulled out the circuit board and began 'testing' components (without static isolation). He was bending components back and forth to get a reading with a multimeter and then called the service team to ask their views on the matter.

They then told him, from what he described, that it had a serious fault and should be returned for repair asap.

Should i accept this, or should i demand a replacement from Currys. They tell me that because it is 3 months old it has to be repaired, what are my rights as a customer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Iain
Old 30 August 2001, 03:38 PM
superblackbird
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by iain atkins:
<B>Hello everyone

Just wanted to hear what you guys think, as i know some of you are in law etc..

I bought a Sony DVB three months ago and the day before yesterday it packed up - can't turn it on by remote and the stanby light goes out straight away, indicating a fault (according to instructions).

Mastercare sent out an engineer today who promptly took the back off, heavy handedly pulled out the circuit board and began 'testing' components (without static isolation). He was bending components back and forth to get a reading with a multimeter and then called the service team to ask their views on the matter.

They then told him, from what he described, that it had a serious fault and should be returned for repair asap.

Should i accept this, or should i demand a replacement from Currys. They tell me that because it is 3 months old it has to be repaired, what are my rights as a customer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Iain[/quote]

Normally there is a standard time of about 2 weeks in which you can demand a brand new one! Seeing as its way out of that your chances are not great. If I was you I would go into one and say the Engineer who came down made it much worse! Take it down there and dump it on there counter and make some noise! My friend done this and it worked!
Old 30 August 2001, 04:10 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

You have 28 days before they can insist on repair instead of replacement. Go and make noise. As recommended take the TV with you, dump it on the counter and complain. For quickest result do this during a busy period. Complain loudest about Mastercare. The manager will see loads of prospective insurance revenue standing about listening to this and you should get you way.
Old 30 August 2001, 04:44 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

This isn't going to help much but my Sony 28in 100hz TV did this, TWICE. First time, the Sony Store replaced it on the spot because I turned up on a saturday morning with TV in tow after a heated discussion on the phone. Second time Mastercare said "Oh yeah, known fault" Engineer turned up, did something simple and that was it. Not happened since. Apparently, the number of times the standby light flashes before going out signifies an error code.
Old 30 August 2001, 04:48 PM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the replies

After half a day of arguing with some ****** at Curry's they have agreed to give me a 1 week old display TV. Ahh - the satisfaction of causing a scene !!

Just hope the replacement one doesn't break now!

Iain
Old 30 August 2001, 09:40 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

I'd hate to put a dampner on things, but do you know it is only a week old? My only ex-display model (a VCR) died after less than a week

My JVC had what sounds like the same problem as your Sony, it was just a blown capacitor, my TV was 4 1/2 years old, and was only switched off when I moved house, other than that it lived on standby, so not really a surprise it went.