Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2003, 07:19 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Anyone into green laning?
Had my first go (in the UK) a few days ago, still grinning now
Mate lent me an old V8 Range Rover and we did a few tracks in Surrey nr Leatherhead. I am amazed at what those old things will cope with! The only mods on it were some propper tyres and remove the front air dam thing.

I want one!

Muf
Old 22 February 2003, 08:02 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i got a discovery and yes its amazing fun, cleaning it is a git though
Old 22 February 2003, 10:17 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

One of the guys who comes to our meets (husband of Rach - Sti7 owner ) has the coolest Landy I've seen (although he does insist on wearing Landy coats and has a Landy mug ) has promised we can come and watch some off roading next time he goes...

My brothers into it too, he has 3 landys (in various states of repair ) but I don't trust his driving

...trying to avoid going as I know I'll love it, and I really don't need another expensive hobby Oh, and Rach said she had to climb out of a ditch last time she went as the car was stuck at the bottom! lol!

btw, have you seen how many land rover mags they have in WH Smiths?! ...next time your in there have a look - I reckon I counted about 8!!
Old 23 February 2003, 10:52 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I use to be well into it and have done a few events abroad..Malaysia, Borneo, etc, etc, and its great fun You'd be surprised where a well prepped 4x4 can go. Dont do it now as I haven't got any space for toys at the moment

Nath
Old 23 February 2003, 04:01 PM
Myherin
Scooby Newbie

Sold my Defender 90 before christmas. Regret it in some ways, although enjoy the extra comfort and mpg of a conventional car. It is incredibly addictive, has anyone done any green-laning around the beds/herts region because there is an excellent series of greenlanes.
The most extreme greenlanes I have driven are between Bedford and Northampton although they are subject to TVRO from Oct 31st-Mar 31st. When my scanner arrives I will post some off my off-roading pictures including a subaru justy mixing it with the defenders!
Old 23 February 2003, 04:22 PM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

Wink

OMG the sad 'lets get muddy brigade' are infiltrating SN

Jen, Be afraid be very afraid cause you not JUST going to watch

But here I am a 'landy widow' here on my own, with tonsilitus and rampaging labrador puppies, while hubby is out playing in the mud in sussex......who is the sad one really ??? Don't even feel like taking the scoob for a blast....omg someone call a doctor.

Rach

Edited to say that he's back now with the landy covered in goo - only the wiper sweep is clear (can't be legal !) - and complaining his head off cause some muppet left a burnt out car blocking a green lane and they had to spend an hour bu**ering about moving it out of the way to a safer place. Like they all found that a chore being macho with their winches and ropes.......

[Edited by STI SPUD - 2/23/2003 5:03:55 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 06:20 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

We're thinking about swapping our Pug 306 for a Defender 90, maybe a hard-top or a double-cab, probably around a 96/97. We'd be spending about 6.5k. We'd still keep the X-Type for long cruises and when we want a bit of luxury, and use the Landy for local trips, transporting the MTB, and for a bit of off-roading when we have the chance. We've done a bit in my mate's old Series 1, and really enjoyed it:

Anyone know a good place to look for 2nd-hand Defenders (in Scotland, preferably) - or anyone got a good one to sell?
Old 23 February 2003, 07:12 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

you cant beat a landrover i only realy use mine for off roading/ playing , and have used it for work when we have snow /very heavy frost (save taking my evo 6 out , wont stop in snow )

i have a series 3 , dead easy to repair (both mechancally /and body wise) loads of spares avalible ..

i seam to spend more time repairing it from off road damage than i do driving it

last it of damage was n/s wing and bumper, went over a mound at around 10-15 mph thinking it was flat the othr side but failed to see the 4' deep ditch other side of ditch and slamed into it, managed to bend steering wheel on impact

great fun , will go down any thng and over most ...

as for being a pain to wash , dont bother look better with a coat of mud protects the paint
Old 23 February 2003, 11:56 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Them were the days,
still got a 4x4 but it's a bit lower to the ground now....and blue

Old 24 February 2003, 12:04 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 24 February 2003, 09:35 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

so how do you know where the "green lanes" are in Surrey ? I presume you can't just OFF ROAD down any footpaths ??
Old 24 February 2003, 03:58 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

you have to go and look at the "definitive map" at the local council / library of the area you want to drive round.
No you can't drive on footpaths..

B.O.A.T's
and
R.U.P.P's
are what you are looking for.
(Byway Open To All Traffic and Road Used as a Public Path)
LRO is very useful for asking qestions to your local rep.
(Land Rover Owner...just incase you didn't know )

Andy
Old 24 February 2003, 04:26 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Pah, you don't need a landy for off-roading! My local dealer had a demo day some years back where you could drive an isuzu trooper V6, a justy and a sumo van round the local motorcross track!! They all did it OK, even the sumo van (althuogh it did need a new clutch afterwards!)
Old 24 February 2003, 05:42 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Been laning since late 80's, currently have 4.2 V8 110 and LHD TD5 110. V8 for home and challenge events and TD5 just bought for European stuff. (The novelty of spending £600 fuel twice a year to drive to the South of france has been wearing off)

Done more challenge events in last couple of years, and er, have'nt done too badly

Old 24 February 2003, 11:27 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Never liked the Landies/Rangies personally just, liked mud pluging in 4x4's..Japs were the better one's and never broke down had 4 runners,landcruisers,patrols,shoguns,pajeros,4trac ks even a sj10 with a 1.9td conversion..and that was g8 in the twisties p lol whoop would most of 'em above....

Comes down to sheer enjoyment though..and if I had the space and the time to do adaptions, then I'd love to do it again...as for fun only though!

Not dissing RR/LR's, there good, but there good as mosts Mum use them for School runs and things...going up a kerb dont count

Nath

PS: I'm not taking the pi$$ on green laning...I use to do it and repair lanes at the same time with the guys..I just thought that in this country you were so resticted on when and where you can do it..If you dont beleive me e mail 47nat@thomson47.fsnet.co.uk and I'll send you copies of the Malysian Trans-Pen.
Old 24 February 2003, 11:58 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thing I liked about the R.Rover was the fact that one minute I was wafting along with leather seats cd player etc. then the next I was in water 1/2 way up the doors looking at a clay hill so steep I'd have agro just walking up it! It locked the diffs and dealt with it no problem.

And the best bit is a half decent old V8 R.Rover can be had for £2.5k
Old 25 February 2003, 11:18 AM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

It locked the diffs?

I assume you mean the centre diff, and therefore it was an early ish Classic Range Rover. From the early 90's Range Rovers have used the viscous transfer box that sorts itself out, or doesn't if you want to do anything delicately below 3000rpm!!