Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BTinternet anytime is it driving you mad

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 08:55 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is anyone using BTinternet anytime without problems. I find that it is very slow and almost unusable for quite long periods and then picks up without warning and is then excellent. This is a real pain, I am sick of seeing that Can not display page message.

Brendan
Old 18 July 2001, 10:19 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

I have been using Btinternet for a number of years now. I think it has improved. Ok Granted sometimes it is ****. Somethimes I get a busy tone for ages. Or sometines the link will stop and I would need to redial.

But overall it is a LOT better than it used to be.
Old 19 July 2001, 07:41 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Brendan,

I have exactly the same problem as you. I have noticed though, that it improves if you download a big file at the same time. Although this slows the response time from the page being browsed a little it maintains the connection and you don't have the long waits.

Old 19 July 2001, 09:55 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

If you havent already call BT and tell them your having connection problems and hassle them to turn the gain up.

Its kinda like turning the volume up.

It may improve things for you.
Old 19 July 2001, 10:43 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yeah last coupla days it has been appalling. This is on ISDN connection. On line games with usual pings around 70-80 are showing 300 plus.

It's not my PC as it has not changed from when I had low ping. Where there have been 6 green dots for connection ststaus, last night there were 2 and 3, occasionally four.

Around 22:30 to 23:00 it returns to normal. Seems they throttle back druing the evening when everyone wants to get on.

Forty quid a month plus £15 for "free" internet access is a bit steep for crap service like that.
Old 19 July 2001, 11:44 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

If your on isdn i can recomment nildram or pipex as isp's, sure you have to pay for them, but you get a much better service as its not over subscribed etc.
Old 19 July 2001, 11:51 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sounds like all you boys could do with a cable modem. Online 24/7, apart from when there are network problems which is now very rare.

The pings for online gaming are in the 30 to 40 ms range (I'm told that's good, but haven't tried myself)

When Napster was working, you could download from fast connection upto 64 K/B sec (I have in excess of 1500 mp3, some being entire cds). FTP is wonderful.

Even on Scoobynet it is soooooo much faster.

Cheers Phill C.

PS You might want to think about using something like visual route to ensure the sites your visiting are on line.
Old 19 July 2001, 01:02 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Will people stop going on about cable modems and how marvellous they are.

They are not marvellous where I live where no cable has been laid.

Yep the problem is BT have oversold their "free" services and now cannot provide what they did before.
Old 19 July 2001, 01:07 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Cool

BarryK,

I'm ever so sorry mate, but you better move to a cabled Telewest area (but not cabletime)

They are soooo lush though!!!

PS I'll take a picture and post in the members section if you like. LoL
Old 19 July 2001, 01:24 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

You git.
Old 20 July 2001, 12:06 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Barry

Its not deliberate sabotage but a consequnce of how on-line games work.

General web-surfing is very busrty - you get a page and wouldn't really notic is there are v small gaps in the taffic

With C/S you have essenitally a real-time stream of traffic where the slightest hitch is noticable.

Web is also TCP whilst C/S is UDP so in fact if a particular router on the Internet is congested, the C/S packets will be dropped in preference to the Web stuff.

You're ISDN now aren't you ?. Interested because I have ISDN and am about to go for an unmetered account. Thought a lot of the BT Internet complaints were soley about the normal modem side.

Regards
Deano
Old 20 July 2001, 12:11 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

yep bt certainly has been **** recently.

i've only got a 56k modem and am pinging from 200-600 + !

not good for CS.

i too tried my other ISP and it was fine but costs me money for phone calls which i resent paying seeing as i'm paying BT £15 a month !

its time BT woke up - dont they realise how big the online gaming community is in the UK ? ifthey could provide a consistently decent service people would be prepared to pay for it surely ?

just been trying to play now - pinging upto 450 ish, against people with pings of 30-50 !

hope its better tonite for our Scoobynet CS game.

Deano - u gonna b there 2nite ?

cya

steve
Old 20 July 2001, 11:03 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Angry

Pits again last night until about 22:30 when all improved.

I went on to my old Cable and Wireless ISP (1p a minute 0845) and my pings were "normal".

A number of people complained last night and were told that the service isn't provided to support on-line gaming and if you're pings are high, it's tough titty on you fish face.

I haven't contacted them yet, but will after the weekend. It seems to affect games more than it affects my general internet traffic, Is this deliberate sabotage?
Old 20 July 2001, 01:07 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Deano,

You got the Barrysworld invite?

Yup I have ISDN. I understand the "flow of the pipe" technicalities so to speak, but if they are charging me for a service, they should be providing it, no?

If they deliberately pi55 gamers off, then they can concentrate on less bandwidth hungry punters. Same reason they are dragging their feet with ADSL. The infrastructure is too old and wheezy in many places and they want to avoid spending money, like all good British businesses these days.

When I get on for one of Barrysworld sessions, I'll try their Barrydial into their servers and see if it's as good/better.

CU later. But not tonight/tomorrow.

Oh by the way, there is an NGUK server running the new Countermaps only, which is never very busy so we can purloin it whenever. Download the maps and get stuck in, me and Kheldar do!

Read the 100 odd reply Counter Strike thread from last week it has all the details.