Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

i think i might have sussed AOL.

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 12:34 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fosters:
<B>how to access the net through aol, but using Internet Explorer with a 'windows' dial up - there's a challenge!

let me know if you manage it
Fosters[/quote]

Just run Aol,shrink it,then open Explorer.Will work provided with tools/options you tick *never dial a connection* then you can use Explorer no probs.

Old 27 June 2001, 12:37 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

but this requires that you install the crappy AOL system to begin with, so your PC will never ever ever work again
Old 27 June 2001, 08:00 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Dave
Why not use the CD for its proper intention - coffee cup coaster on my desk - and get an ISP that works
Old 27 June 2001, 08:37 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

how to access the net through aol, but using Internet Explorer with a 'windows' dial up - there's a challenge!

Fosters
Old 27 June 2001, 09:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
If you do disable your antivirus try to save any files to disk then scan them before use, password stealing trojans are still rife on AOL.
Old 27 June 2001, 09:20 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fosters:
<B>how to access the net through aol, but using Internet Explorer with a 'windows' dial up - there's a challenge!

Fosters[/quote]

Get an old PC. Install AOL. Take the phone number and any AOL cookies you can find and copy them onto your proper PC. You need to check booth cookies directory and temporary internet files directory. Dial up to the phone number and launch explorer. You may also need to enable plain text passwords. It is a D-Word 0001 in windows 95 registry but needs changed to a binary with a value of 0001. I have no idea how to do this in 98 or 2000. Try this. It used to work before Netscape 4 and IE5 came out, and I haven't tried it since.

Alternatively, just get a decent ISP instead, or do what I do and get work to pay for a leased line straight into a BT exchange.
Old 27 June 2001, 09:27 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try tying little pieces of string onto the AOL cds and hanging them from canes over your newly seeded lawn, excellent for keeping the birds away....

taken from 'top tips' in 'Take a Break' (my nans' copy not mine! )

Sal
Old 27 June 2001, 12:06 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Those of you who use the piece of sh1te AOL browser to get your 24/7,will probbly have smashed the fuking cd into a milliom bits by now.

However,those about to,dont be hasty.I have stuck with mine and have actually got the thing to run quite well.So soem tips....

Dont keep an anti-virus programme running in the background.Turned mine off to run a game and left it off and discovered AOL liked it.

Uninstall and reload monthly.AOL update files and you wont know unless you do this.They also update the access n.os as well which you can get off the home page.I loaded AOL 4 times once until it was right.

It doesnt like Explorer,so dont open it at the same time.

Reboot regularly.If you dont get through to the home page and the channels drop down thingy quickly,then exit and reboot.Sometimes you have to reboot several times.

The biggest thing I discovered was when I decided to clean up start up through accessories/system tools/system info/tools/system config/start up.I disabled most of the programmes on start up.This obviously means when AOL is running there isnt much in the background for it to clash with.

All the above may be complete bollox and Im no nerdy.But ive had a trouble free 2 weeks and the speed has ben excellent.Apart from reglar reboots that is!!
Old 27 June 2001, 01:08 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B>but this requires that you install the crappy AOL system to begin with, so your PC will never ever ever work again[/quote]

quite true

but follow my simple instructions and the piece of sh1te should work!!

still unstable but its it has other benefits,ie you can sign up easily and dont need the fascists at BT involved.

Old 28 June 2001, 09:41 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dba:
still unstable but its it has other benefits,ie you can sign up easily and dont need the fascists at BT involved.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"bit"? Instead you feed the fascists at AOL (oh, AOL runs on BT's backbone anyway, they host all their kit at Telehouse) who believe everyone is dumb and patronise you daily with all their dumbed down error messages. Error messages which, I hasten to add, tell lies!

Steve.
Old 28 June 2001, 02:07 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Er yeah, OK.

Dream on.

To go to all that trouble to get some *******'s software to work when there are countless other ISPs that work no prob.

Picture describing that rigmarole to start up your Scoob's engine whenever you want to use it.

Ha ha.
Old 28 June 2001, 03:15 PM
JDS
Scooby Regular

Cool

It would seem I am the only person in the world then that runs AOL, has never has any problems, always connects first time, have never ever had any problems etc, etc. And no, I don't work for them!! Its always worked really well for me.

James.