Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GameCube launched at E3 - the masters are back!

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2001, 01:37 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The specs look good, the games look something else. Check out the link at the bottom and download some moving footage!

Luigi's Mansion

WaveRace

Links for GameCube footage in Quicktime
Old 17 May 2001, 10:55 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looks pretty impressive.
Old 21 May 2001, 12:57 AM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Looks good, I only hope that Nintendo has realised that their are adults who play games...Must admit, I prefer the X-Box. Can't wait for Halo!!
Old 21 May 2001, 01:27 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I understand what you're saying, but I think a lot of adults have got to realise its okay to play Mario & Zelda too. These are masterpieces, but you only realise it once you get deep into them.

If you're into sci-fi like Halo check out X-Xwing Rogue Leader:

All running at 60fps, which PC X-Wing could never do.

This shot is also done in real-time:

-DV

PS: Blowdog - I don't know WHAT you mean when you talk about cuddly furry characters...

hehe

[This message has been edited by DazV (edited 22 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 01:34 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I agree, the Star Wars game looks impressive. But I still won't buy a Ninetendo, I find their games extremely childish, despite the depth and the graphical splendour, these are still cutesy cuddly furry characters, and I find that very boring.

Cem
Old 21 May 2001, 01:48 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Blow Dog - I understand where you're coming from - Zelda & Mario aren't everyone's cup of tea (even though the best designers in the world like Molyneux are in awe of them)

Besides, games like Black & White will appear for it too as Electronic Arts are comitted to it. You'd be amazed how much Black & White owes to Shigeru Miyamoto's work.

I just want people to know how good the machine is. The developers have already said its more than a match for Playstation2 and the architecture is supposed to be really friendly to get to grips with. One developers even went as far as saying Gran Turismo3 could've been written in a fraction of the time its taken Digital Polyphony.

Personally I wait for the games I love and buy whatever platform they're written for. So I'll have a PSX2 for GT3 and Metal Gear Solid 2, GameCube for Zelda & Mario, Dreamcast for Code Veronica & LeMans & ShenMue, but I'll keep my PC instead of buying an X-Box.

-DV
Old 21 May 2001, 02:30 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Like Sega, Nintendo have lost my respect....and I for one won't be buying their cube for the foreseeable future. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and Nintendo caters for a wider spectrum other than games like pokermon as competition in the market is heathly for us consumers. I'd rather have choice than just one co controlling the market.
Must admit, I've got a PS2 and I haven't touched it for the last 3 months....think it needs GT3...Hmmmm.
Old 21 May 2001, 02:48 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner, yeah Nintendo really blew it with the last console, although I loved Goldeneye.

They've definitely learned their lesson in the sense the new console is a doddle to write games on - compare with the last one which was terrible.

As for GT3, I've just ordered my copy. They confirmed a official release date of early July for the US version I'm after. The PAL version will probably follow in August.

-DV
Old 21 May 2001, 06:31 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

'Game' have got a release date of 13th July for GT3. lets hope so, its been long enough

Scott
Old 21 May 2001, 07:18 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Might be tempted with that star wars game, but i'll stick to the ps2 at the mo F1 2001 (out on the 25th) is going to take up a considerable amount of my time i fell

Si
Ps Roll on GT3A
Old 21 May 2001, 11:39 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I think I'll wait until Rogue Leader is released on the PC. I doubt it'll be too long
Old 22 May 2001, 09:35 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Some good points made.......and some not so good points!!!

Don't any of you underestimate the power of Nintendo. The N64 didn't really make it, but has some excellent games AND it's STILL being sold!!!! (Considering how well the Dreamcast was selling, that aint bad). Nintendo have the market presence, backing and don't forget the MONEY to make it happen.

The vibes from Japan is that EVERYONE is pro Nintendo.....the consumers and the developers! This could be the turning point for Nintendo. They have without doubt got the handheld market stiched up (my GBA is the dogs ). We all know that power of machines is nothing without the games. Considering the GameCube is reputed to have bigger nads than the XBOX (which has bigger nads than the PS2) AND Uncle Tom Cobblin and all are signed up to develope games for it (and I mean EVERYONE!!!), I think it has a very good chance of succeeding.

Nintendo....MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Shaun.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:21 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Blatantly ripped from BBC website :
Quote :
Analysts said Nintendo's cheaper price made sense.

"Their unit is targeted at the younger audience, eight-to-14-year-olds, who don't have a large disposable income," said Schelley Olhava, analyst at research firm International Data.

The GameCube is also unable to play CDs or DVDs, unlike the Playstation 2 and XBox.

End Quote.

IMHO this makes sense. Power is nothing without games as Shaun says, been proved many times. With this strategy Nintendo are not competing directly with Xbox or PS2 they are trying to differentiate themselves a little. I think the DVDs and CDs will probably prove to be an astute move. If your really interested in DVD you gonna buy a DVD player.

robski
Old 23 May 2001, 11:22 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh No! Here we go again ...Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox, et al... "Same old, Same old". Hate to say,"I told you so" D.V But .... .... Never mind, maybe they'll do...er.. Donkey Kong !
Old 23 May 2001, 07:46 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Actually there's 2 versions of GameCube:

- One without DVD at $199
- One with DVD player at 'slightly higher' manufactured by Matsu****a.

-DV

PS: Don't you just love Microsoft - here's a snippet taken from a witness to an X-Box demo that was going at at trade show e3 last week...

"There were also indications that the hardware is not entirely stable yet - a crash during Nightcaster revealed a familiar looking PC boot screen, and a Microsoft representative explained that the memory configuration on the floor models was different than that of the final version. "

The X-Box is launching in November right?

[This message has been edited by DazV (edited 24 May 2001).]