Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

importing a toyota yaris

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 09:54 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the other half is looking to import a yaris sr from a company called motorpoint in derby.

anyone had any experience of this company ??

also, whats the deal with the warranty ?? i was under the understanding that if you bought a new car from anywhere in the EU then the manufacturers warranty is valid anywhere else in the EU. am i right ??

dave
Old 09 May 2001, 11:01 AM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

Druddle,

I don't have experience of Motorpoint as such, but I bought my other half a Yaris SR last year (picked it up late November), although I got it direct from a dealer in Holland - it is called a "Luna" out there.

The Toyota warranty is actually a European warranty anyway, so you should have no problems making a claim anywhere in Europe. When I was doing research on it all before I bought, it seems Toyota are one of the better manufacturers for this sort of thing - I heard many good reports of UK dealers doing warranty work on Euro imports with no problems at all.

We haven't needed any warranty work anyway (the car is immensely well built - certainly compared to the Ford Ka we had before), but my experienced of the UK dealers is very good.

One thing you want to be careful of is that the imported SR is truely UK spec. What we found out ( when we picked the car up ) is that the Euro car is mechanically exactly the same as a UK SR, but doesn't have the rear spoiler, SR exhaust backbox, lowered/stiffer suspension and 15 inch alloy wheels. These items are fitted by Toyota UK to make the SR model.

OK, we were a bit annoyed when we picked the car up (as we had specifically asked the dealer if the car was fully UK spec), but at the end of the day we only paid £7200 (including VAT!!) for the car.

When we got back, I phoned my local Toyota dealership and explained that I'd bought the car in Europe and wanted to make it exactly UK spec. The guy in the parts department phoned Toyota UK to find out the what they did with the car from Japan, and was got back to me within 1/2 hour with a parts list of what I needed to put it right.

In total it would cost £1100 (inc VAT) to add all the correct bits to the car, so we would still save over £2000 on the UK list.

My partner really likes the car - she actually prefers it without all the spoilers and things on anyway - so I would say go for it, but check out it has all the correct bits on.

Cheers,

Christian

Old 09 May 2001, 02:04 PM
Adam Dog
Scooby Regular

By law uk dealers have to service european imports.

If they say no, just ask them about articles 30,31 and 32 of the treaty of rome.

Free movement of goods, money and people throughout the eu.

Believe me, they will not take on the european comission. Ask ford how much thats costs!
Old 09 May 2001, 02:07 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

On another note, to my knowledge, there isnt a great deal of saving to be had importaing a yaris given the starting cost, but if I were to be importing a car, the most trusted car salesman I have met is iain litchfield from litchfield imports.

There is an evo 7 banner of his flying everywhere.

he is a guy of the highest integrity, securing my car over the phone from spain.

Without even a deposit, he declined an offer for my car 4k higher than I agreed to pay, just becasue he had given me his word the car was sold to me.

you may say thatmakes him a mug, but he is guaranteed my business for life.