Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Legal Advice Required...

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2003, 02:25 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Long and complicated story but I'm hoping someone can tell me where I stand, whether it's up a proverbial creek or not...

Okay...last year (August) I purchased some car mats from a friend off another forum.
The car was being shipped to a breakers and I agreed to pick the mats up from there.
Being exceptionally busy, I never got round to it, but emailed the chap in question who said that he would ship the mats and invoice me for postage.
I agreed to this.

(Queue nasty road incident in which I was driving someone's car who had work done by this garage. The work has been identified as being faulty - but that's another story - basically 4 out of 5 wheel nuts sheared off because he'd put smaller wheels on, but left the spacers on the hub....amongst other things, anyway.... )

Now this chap is notorious for being slippier than a greased eel. Especially since the accident...he won't even commit to repairing the damage on the car as he knows that he won't get paid for it.

He has stated that on the 15th January he posted the mats to me with an invoice for postage.
I still have not received the mats.
I can't ring him from work as his office has an announcement stating that he does not accept calls from withheld numbers. (Work goes through a SwitchBoard, so the number WILL be withheld)
He does not answer any messages, whether email or PM.

So where do I stand in getting these mats?

It's not a big issue, but seeing as I have paid for them already I would like to have them at some point....

Thanks...
Old 29 January 2003, 02:51 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Mice - this works from my work, but try the following when you dial out:

#6199 then the full number (including the 0 of the dialling code - assuming you dial 9 to get out)

works for us - maybe will for other exchanges?
Old 29 January 2003, 02:52 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

I am involved in personal injury law, accidents and the like, but, I would suggest that you either speak to Citizens Advice PDQ or get a consultation with a solicitor for half an hour (Normally free to determine whether or not you have a case).

It may be that your insurers could start an action against him, or if you have legal expenses insurance through your home contents policy that may do the job for you without incurring great expense.
Old 29 January 2003, 03:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know the price of a set of mats, but I assume they are less than a hundred quid?

In which case, given this guy's reputation, I honestly think you'd be wasting time and money on the official legal route.

Astraboy might have some ideas on alternatives...
Old 29 January 2003, 03:50 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Cheers Burr. I'll try that in a bit...although I think the trunks route through a different locale which strips the number...but I'll try it..

Brendan...that's pretty much the conclusion to which I am arriving....

New, these mats are well over £150...(expensive car..) but I didn't pay that for them...