Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone heard of a company called "Catch"? - home security related?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2003, 07:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I had a cold call today (despite being on the TPS) from a company called "Catch" (or something like that).

They started babbling on about homes in my area being specially selected etc etc. Something to do with security, fire, monitoring etc.

I asked if they were selling anything, and they said no.

I asked whether they were part of a Police or local council initiative, and they said that they were a californian based company.

I repeated my question whether they were selling anything and they said no - their service was free. Something about a survey of your home's security etc etc.

I explained that my home had plenty of security, thank you very much, and that i didn't want some unknown party to know what precautions i had already taken - at which point they gave up with the sales patter.

Has anyone else encountered "Catch", and do you know what they actually do???

mb
Old 24 January 2003, 07:32 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Did you say to them "Is it a catch?"

They probably come round and case the joint then nick all your stuff later
Old 24 January 2003, 08:54 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

...well their area code was 01642 (unusually they did not withhold their caller-ID) and from the background noise they sounded like a call centre of some sort.

It pi55es me off if they are some commercial organisation trying to sell something on the back of some so-called "free service" - just to get around the Direct Marketing rules (as i am on the Telephone Preference Scheme).

They were obviously trolling through an address list, as they had trouble saying where i lived, even though "i was in the area".

Also, they can **** off if they think that they can tell me how to secure my house [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

mb
Old 24 January 2003, 09:08 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

It will be a scam. No they are not selling anything until they come round and find your security or fire precautions are lacking. And here is the scam bit, you made an appointment for them to visit you, so if you do buy anything from them, after they have badgered you and preyed on all your rational or irrational fears, you DO NOT have a cooling off period. Any sale made at your house during an appointed visit is not covered by the 7 day cooling off period which by law is there to protect people from door to door sales. Therefore if you sign anything, you've bought it, no come back, no way out, even if you don't allow them to fit what ever it is you have bought they are still entitled to their money.

[Edited by Reffro - 1/24/2003 9:11:17 PM]
Old 24 January 2003, 09:49 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Reffro

My thoughts exactly, but what can i do???

Can i report them to the Direct Marketing Association? Have they broken any rules? Can i post their phone number so that loads of ScobyNet members can phone them up and string them along without any intention of buying anything? Would Which? be interested?

California (where the company is based) seems a long way away!!!!!

mb
Old 24 January 2003, 10:05 PM
cjones944
Scooby Regular

Boomer

Was it these people?

Catch Monitored Security Ltd

(01642) 242989

45, Albert Rd
Middlesbrough
TS1 1NS
Old 24 January 2003, 10:19 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that the trading standards and watchdog would be my first port of call.

Either that or invite them round, let them stay for a few hours, and then tell them to **** off as you don't buy anything at home you'd rather go to their showroom. If you're going to waste their time do it properly.

Oh and name and shaming never does any harm.

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2003, 10:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

cjones944

(01642) 242989
That is the EXACT number that called me!!!

Do you have any other details about them? If they are trying to break DM rules (and potentially exploiting vulnerable people) then they need to be stopped!!

mb
Old 24 January 2003, 10:42 PM
cjones944
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid not!
Old 24 January 2003, 10:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

To half answer my own question, see...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1268964.stm

Are these scum still alive??

mb

URL text below...

By BBC1's Hard Cash reporter, Marcia Hughes
Many people dread that thieves might break into their homes - and there are some unscrupulous salesmen who look to capitalise on that fear.

Salesmen from the company, Catch Monitored Security, have paid visits to two pensioners in the UK town of Stockton, costing each of them over £5,000 of their life savings.

Janet Davis, the daughter of one pensioner who opened the door to a salesman, describes how her father was hardly fit to purchase an alarm system.

"When they actually came round to see my dad he was in a bad way then, I mean you couldn't hold a proper conversation with him for long before he'd wander off," she said.

Elizabeth White's aunt was also sold an alarm system by the company.

"She didn't seem to remember very well how it had come about. I was very angry and upset because I think basically the company is trading on people who are vulnerable and alone," said Ms White.

And they are not the only relatives of elderly people have to have made complaints about the firm.

Undercover filming

An undercover investigation by the BBC's Hard Cash programme into the tactics adopted by the company to train salesman has revealed an unusual approach.

"It is the most annoying objection you'll ever get for losing a sale, the son or daughter turning up and they don't want Mum or Dad spending the inheritance," says Peter Ford, Catch Monitored Security salesman trainer.

"Woe betide the installation company if you have a deal in the morning and it isn't fitted that day, because we know if we wait for a cooling-off period they'll find something else to spend their money on."

Raising the alarm

Both pensioners were persuaded to write out cheques on the spot for an alarm system costing £5,500.

Catch Monitored sold alarms systems worth £500 to elderly for £5,500

According to an independent security expert, Derek Williams, the maximum cost for the such systems should be only £500.

"He has paid extortionately more than he needs to," says Mr Williams, referring to Ms Davis' father.

Additionally, the police say they won't respond to the security systems.

"We don't have control of the situation, we don't know who has installed it, we don't know what the equipment's like, and we will not attend and give a police response," says Inspector Meanwell.

In the past three years there has been dozens of complaints about Catch Monitored Security and in one area the salesmen were such a problem that the police stepped in to warn the public about their sales tactics.

They told households to be on their guard against the firm's "hard sell and scare methods".

"They would play on this fear that crime was up and they were likely to be burgled in this street, and this was not true," explained Lincolnshire Police.

"They wouldn't go away and people in the end just signed because they wanted rid of them."

The Office of Fair trading is now looking into the file of complaints with a view to revoking the company's Consumer Credit Licence.

Old 24 January 2003, 10:49 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Have a read of this which I found with a quick search, it looks like the authorities are already on their trail.

http://www.cnhw.co.uk/Area%20News.cfm

You just need to run down the page to the correct bit, looks like they have been scamming people in Essex.
Old 25 January 2003, 12:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Reffro,

i might give Susan Kielty (mentioned in that article) a call on Monday.

The only thing that they have done wrong to me so far is to make an unsolicited marketing call when i am on the TPS. But if they are using a so-called "free" product/survey to avoid the 7-day cooling off period then it sounds like they are up to their old tricks [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Cheers,

mb

Old 08 February 2003, 05:53 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

cjones944,

ya couldn't let me know where you got the address information from could ya? Companies House comes up with:

CATCH MONITORED SECURITY LIMITED
13 MANDALE ROAD
THORNABY
STOCKTON ON TEES
CLEVELAND TS17 6AD

which is in the same area, but not the same address.

I tried Birmingham Trading Standards, but it was a bit of a chocolate kettle exercise. TPS should be interested though, and your supplied phone number matched perfectly.

E-mail as per profile if it is not for public consumption.

Cheers

mb
Old 08 February 2003, 08:44 PM
cjones944
Scooby Regular

boomer

BT Directory Enquiries - www.bt.com
Old 08 February 2003, 10:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior