Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Laser eye surgery - any comments

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2001, 09:31 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Have any of you had experience of (or know anyone who has had) the laser eye surgery now available to correct short sightedness? I'm fed up with contact lenses.

P.S Do you like my choice of icon?
Old 15 April 2001, 09:44 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave

My old boss had this done at my last place of work. So far she seems to be OK with it. She was well into it after the op and doesn't seem to have had any probs in the last 8 months, although she is still firkin ugly

DW
Old 15 April 2001, 10:15 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

I have considered this myself but I am put off by the fact that no long-term research has been done on it. I mean as it hasn't been around for that long nobody knows the implications 20-30 years down the line.

Sounds great, and it has come a long way over the years, but I wouldn't risk it just yet.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 16 April 2001, 12:19 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a friend in the US who had it done, and as far as I know he's happy.

I got fed up with contact lenses too - which is why I went back to wearing glasses. we each only have one pair of eyes, and personally I wouldn't take any risks with mine.

ps. do you like my choice of icon?

Andy.
Old 16 April 2001, 02:03 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had laser surgery on both my eyes about 4 years ago and I am very happy with the results.

Before the ops my eyesight prescription was -6.5 in each eye (I refused to wear glasses 'cos they were that thick!) and had my application to join the RAF rejected because my eyes were so bad. I had the operations done at the Optimax clinic in Manchester and they were very helpful, explaining everything involved and answering all my questions fully. They made me aware from the very beginning that because my eyesight was so poor (plus I had astigmatism in both eyes) the chances of ending up with 20:20 vision was very slim. My eyesight is now
-0.75 in one eye and -1 in the other; I still have to wear lenses to drive but the operations were worth the money IMO (approximately £350 per eye four years ago - prices changed since?).

WARNING: although this operation can improve your eyesight under normal conditions, it does not cure the medical condition commonly referred to as 'beer goggles' - in fact it's made it worse in my case .. :0

If anyone is still interested I'll see if I've still got any details for Optimax.

Alex

[This message has been edited by alexf (edited 16 April 2001).]
Old 16 April 2001, 07:10 PM
Oakley
Scooby Regular

The RAF aren't fans of it because it adversely affects night vision; you can get a bit of "speckling" apparently, which rules out working with NVGs.
Old 17 April 2001, 08:21 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you go for it let us know how you get on, I was planning on getting it done this summer, but due to the house purchasing situation it has been delayed for now.

Boots do a slight variant on it where they cut a slit in your eye then laser through that, apparently it takes only 20 mins or so and your eye sight is as it should be the following day. I have the web page stored locally and can look it out for you, I think it was somewhere around the £1250 mark.
Old 17 April 2001, 08:33 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

I had Lasik laser eye surgery 12 months ago, I was approx -5.75 in one eye and -5.5 in the other. I had it done at moorfields by David Gartry (e-mail me offline if you want his contact details).

If you are going to have it done I would say have Lasik rather than PRK and, obviously, have it done some where with a good reputation.

I now have perfect vision , and am apply to the met police shortly!

By the way I think it was £1200 per eye if I remeber correctly.

Old 18 April 2001, 01:56 PM
chelsie_uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave
email me for info, i had both eyes done 4 years ago
chelsie
Old 18 April 2001, 02:03 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

dont try it DIY, thats my only comment!

seriously Ive heard there are 2 differnt approaches (maybe more?)

1) the older way, laser the surface of the eye to correct the problem, they think that over time the eye grows back, and therefore reduces the vision again

2) they peel back the lens, laser the inside of the eye and then put the lens back. Is supposed to be permanent.

robski