Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Soft Tops

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2001, 05:59 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A bit embarassed to post this on Scoobynet, however, a very tatty Renault 19 Cabriolet might be coming my way in the near future. It is covered in dents and scratches, has an opaque rear window and has moss growing in every crevice. In it's favour it does have a genuine 20k on the clock and a full Renault history.

I want to tidy it up and use it as a summer runabout but for obvious reasons don't want to spend much money on it.
Any suggestions on how to sort out the moss or the opaque rear window?
Can you replace these rear windows or will it need a new hood? A new outer hood from Renault costs about 4 times the value of the car! I have tried Mark Underwood's products to clear the window but it really is too far gone.

I have not had a soft top before and am wondering whether this is really worth the effort.

Thanks for any suggestions

Simon

[This message has been edited by SimonD (edited 16 April 2001).]
Old 17 April 2001, 05:18 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I know this sounds drastic but you need to try something quite abrasive on the rear window - try Brasso, toothpaste or even T-Cut - this will shift some of the **** off the vinyl.

You will need to buff it up hard though to get some shine back on the plastic - if you have an electric polishing mop then all the better, use progressively finer polish until its OK. I actually had this tip off a hood repairer restorer. If it has actually gone yellowy opaque (almost cheese colour) then its fooked, but this is unusal these days. I mean it's not THAT old!!!

There are people who will put in a new rear window for you....cheaper than a new hood.

Look in the back of classic car mags in WH Smiths - that great browsing library in every high street!!

Hope this helps.....

p.s I actually quite like the R19 cabrio, I like the twin headrest humps on the hood cover....