Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

You know where the safety vans are ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 12:48 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I passed a new camera on the A14 last week and it was half way round a bend - just where you want someone to stand on the brakes !
Old 09 April 2001, 07:29 AM
whizzer
Scooby Regular

Hold on , since when do cops tell us where and when they're going to be doing speed enforcements !?
Old 09 April 2001, 10:37 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I have my theories on this.

I live in Northampton and found it strange when they started telling us on Northants Radio where they were going to be.

I think the idea is to stop the local people getting regularly done. It would be so possible for a local driver to lose his licence in one afternoon (they really are that common around here), and it would throw the whole thing into disrepute.

I think they need to keep getting people but don't want to draw too much attention or anger to it.

Really irritating, as they sit so many places which are blatantly chosen for revenue rather than safety.

The attitude seems to be "Speed is a crime" rather than "Speed is dangerous" even.

One thing that CAN be said for it.. the speed of drivers in northampton has reduced dramatically and eveyone trundles round at the speed limit, which is very good in some ways, but.. I know I spend more time looking at my speedo than I used to, so it would be interesting to see what the accident figures are.

Cheers

Simon
Old 09 April 2001, 06:38 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Maybe the publicity is so that the Police/Auhorities can _claim_ that this is all about road safety and not revenue generation.

This might be true, if only the average driver was capable of memorising TWO DOZEN different ROADS (not sites or locations, but long roads) EVERY DAY!!!!

However, all active brain (and visual) capacity will be focussed on the speedo

mb