Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Content Management Systems

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2001, 12:40 AM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Documentum is an excellent product - we're just doing some work with it to produce a customised product for the legal sector

I'm very impressed with it - seems to blow away the majority of content management products.

Well worth getting some skills in this - particularly if you can focus on stuff like XML integration (that's going to be v important for the content management market)

I reckon there's a good opportunity for setting up a consulting/implementation business with Documentum - the skills are in short supply (look at the prices they charge!) - drop me a line when you're skilled up

Ed

Old 14 March 2001, 12:47 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Cem

Try a quick search on
Old 14 March 2001, 11:27 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Does anybody know what the market is like for knowledge in the above software, eg. Documentum?

I have started using it where I work and was thinking if it is a good skill to develop?

Cem
Old 14 March 2001, 11:53 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cem

Have a word with Aero as he sells Content Management solutions AFAIK.

I should be seeing him tomorrow night at the Docklands meet - see Southern forum - can you not get along to it?

Simon
Old 14 March 2001, 01:40 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Document Management Systems appear to be slowly catching on over the past 7 years. There does appear to be more demand than supply for people with those skills, or there certainly was in the summer 00. But you have to win contracts with big companies because they are prepared to spend money on services. Small to medium sized companies normally will not spend a large amount of money on implementation and services. From what I know installing and software sales dont always generate good margins.
Old 14 March 2001, 02:19 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Hi Cem,

DreamWeaver, I'll not be at Docklands on Thursday, but Cem, I saw your what must have been your Evo at Fleet.
I'm sure we'll get to meet up soon, but drop me a mail in the meantime.

Documentum is a capable document management system, but not really a content management tool, as it doesn't cater for any of the code more an more websites require.

As far as content management market place goes, it is set to expand to $6bn in 2003 from $300m in 1999.
Compare this to the software configuration market place, where growth is steady but limited, and the potential looks phenomenal.

There are loads of companies out there wanting a bit, in a couple of years time there won't be any more than two or three serious players. As long as you get on board with one of them you're laughing.

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 14 March 2001, 06:33 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Peter,

the 'huge growth is around the corner' has been said about Content Manager software for as long as I have been working in and around that field (approx. 9 years). I hope you are right.
Old 15 March 2001, 02:26 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Brooks, I hope so too.

I've just bet my next years salary on it.