Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should the Police chase stolen cars?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2003, 10:01 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up until recently I would have said yes....how else are they going to catch them....

However I was recently out on my (motor)bike and came to a T-junction to turn left. You can't really see through this junction, you have to stop at the give way line to see because of houses either side. I was approaching the white line when a car came from the left COMPLETELY on my side of the road, followed by 2 police cars in hot pursuit. I am talking inches from the kerb on my side of the road at about 30mph.

I had a brief moment of wondering which part of the car would be best to land on - remember I'm on a bike here - but just managed to wobble left enough to miss it - by an inch or two at most.

I am so angry that this tw@t could have easily killed me. But if the Police weren't chasing him through a residential area he might not have been on my side of the road.....

If I had been turning right at that junction I would not be here now.

[Edited by Paul_H - 1/13/2003 10:15:24 PM]
Old 13 January 2003, 10:19 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I always wonder how the Police in the UK arrest people who oppose resistance? They havent got any guns, right? SO what do they do? Punch them or something? Or have they got those 50,000 Volt things? All that just to say that even if the guy crashes and isnt hurt and runs away or something, how will they stop him? What if he's good at taek wan do or something? You know?
Anyway, I think it's not the Police's fault that people commit crimes, and that trying to catch them is not that bad an idea, after all it's their job, isnt it?
The criminal driving dangerously is the one putting you at risk, not the Police chasing him. I dont think someone who just robbed a bank or something will respect the speed limit...
Old 13 January 2003, 10:36 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

This wasn't intended as an anti-police thread at all. I would be very happy if they caught the guy....well, nearly as happy as if I got hold of him...

I'd just like them to do it without killing me. When does a chase become too dangerous? Never?
Old 13 January 2003, 10:43 PM
Luke
BANNED

Train them better!! And they need it.......Except the class 1's
Old 13 January 2003, 11:19 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

If they could afford it then more choppers, then they could follow without pushing the driver on the roads but they aint getting away from a chopper at any speed maybe use of more roadblocks with monitering equipment linked to the chopper could be helpfull but it all boils down to cost!

just my opinion.
Old 13 January 2003, 11:30 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Just start public killings of the TWOCers they do catch, the rest will soon stop
Old 13 January 2003, 11:41 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Claudius - The police are trained to deal with people resisting arrest and have a number of techniques to deal with them. The only 'weapon' they have is an extendable truncheon. One whip of this to your knees & you are down!. I saw a police lady use hers once against this massive bloke about twice her size. He went down in pain & she whipped on the handcuffs in seconds. Very impressive!

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2003, 02:40 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Or if they dont like the look of you they could just twist your already broken hand until that is, you send them on a one way trip downward.

Police chases are bloody reckless though. On a number of occassions ive had to take evasive action when police cars and criminals etc have come hurling toward me at unacceptabe speeds. It does make me sick to think what if i hadnt swirved or took action in some way.
Old 14 January 2003, 07:15 AM
Viper GTS-R
Scooby Newbie

Wink

but just managed to wobble left enough to miss it
<Darth Vader voice>

Impressive...........

</Darth Vader voice>
Old 14 January 2003, 07:43 AM
Dastardly
Scooby Regular

Wink

I hear pie chasing is their latest mission.....
Old 14 January 2003, 10:31 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Nah, if they get a clear shot, they should shoot the ******* inside !!!!!!
Old 14 January 2003, 11:12 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

The Police have to chase criminals. However, the officer on the ground (and possibly the guy in charge back at the nick) have to do a risk assessment of each situation as it occurs. If the guy they are chasing is simply trying to get away, then pursue. If he starts to put the public at an unnecessary risk, then abandon the chase. Simple.

Class 1 drivers are some of the best drivers you are likely to meet. More driver training isn't required, but possibly more psychological assessment. If a traffic cop (however highly trained) lets the red mist descend, they may take too many risks. Coppers are only human after all. Imagine if he/she is chasing someone who has just run down and killed a fellow copper.

If the Police never chase anyone, then the criminals have won and we have anarchy.
Old 14 January 2003, 11:13 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Simple answer: YES
Old 14 January 2003, 11:19 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

When does a chase become too dangerous?
I'd say when the guy they're chasing has only committed a minot traffic offence or something. Imagine they chase a friend of yours because he went over the speed limit and then hit on on the bike during the chase. That would be right down stupid.

If they're chasing a real criminal, I'd say go get him.
Old 14 January 2003, 11:23 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Claudius - The police are trained to deal with people resisting arrest and have a number of techniques to deal with them. The only 'weapon' they have is an extendable truncheon. One whip of this to your knees & you are down!. I saw a police lady use hers once against this massive bloke about twice her size. He went down in pain & she whipped on the handcuffs in seconds. Very impressive!
Wow! Impressive indeed.

What if the guy knows this and is trained / jumps / avoids it and punches her though? I know quite a few people like that whom you could not arrest without a gun (and without approaching them and having a second officer with a gun, supposing they would need arrest and offer resistance)...
Old 14 January 2003, 11:27 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cs spray. Think all forces have it now.

Old 14 January 2003, 01:05 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

LOL... CS-Spray - That'll take the perp's tyres out!

Oh yeah, and contrary to popular TV myth, a decent tyre is many times more bullet resistant than any other part of a car!
Old 14 January 2003, 01:18 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

The guys not in the car anymore squizz. Clauds got him on foot fighting a woman copper now. Please keep up.
Old 14 January 2003, 03:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

If someone is armed then they call out an ARU simple as.

How are u supposed to know what a criminal has done before u give chase? Oh well he only jumped a red light - we wont bother. Oh look he jumped another and took out a mother and two kids plus he just murdered 14 school kids hence why he was jumping the lights - perhaps we should have done something?

If crims know police wont chase for certain things then they will get more confident. I personally think we have to stamp down and chase them. If I got hit by a police car giving chase no doubt I would be pissed off to say the least but I would still respect the fact that they were chasing a criminal. We dont live in a perfect world.

If they do pose a great threat then the police do back off and use choppers, stingers etc.
Old 14 January 2003, 06:11 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Yes, the police should give chase, but shouldn't continue the pursuit at all costs.
What's to say that in the case given intially that the stolen car wouldn't have been driving like that even without the police in pursuit. Joyriders don't tend to follow the highway code and stick to speed limits - just witness that evil bloke Carr.
Old 15 January 2003, 09:10 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

quote:
__________________________________________________ ____________
If I got hit by a police car giving chase no doubt I would be pissed off to say the least but I would still respect the fact that they were chasing a criminal.
__________________________________________________ ____________
unquote

errr....only if you were still alive.........