Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police told not to bother investigating burglary!

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 09:28 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Don't know how to do a short link, sorry: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixportal.html

Today's Telegraph says how the London Met force have been told:

"Police have been ordered not to bother investigating crimes such as burglary, vandalism and assaults unless evidence pointing to the culprits is easily available, The Telegraph can reveal.

Under new guidelines, officers have been informed that only "serious" crimes, such as murder, rape or so-called hate crimes, should be investigated as a matter of course.

In all other cases, unless there is immediate and compelling evidence, such as fingerprints or DNA material, the crime will be listed for no further action."
Oh, that's just forkin great then - I'll give up working and get a crowbar & balaclava to make a living. As long as no-one's hurt I'll get clean away!

So does that mean the only way to get them to attend if your flat's broken in to is to daub some racist statement on your wall and say it was there after the perps made off??!! WTF!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I can't believe the stupid sods who pass this sort of 'policy', even if it's unofficial!

Anyone else think that vigilante type reprisals will only spiral as people get fed up at lack of police cover? Crazy, just flippin crazy!

Incredulous Steve
Old 12 January 2003, 10:16 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

And all you can think to do about it is whine on a public bbs? If you feel that strongly then be creative and do something about it. I for one am no happier than you about it.
Old 12 January 2003, 10:19 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Bravo 2 0, I wasn't having a go at the average constable. I appreciate that the copper that we see on the street doesn't dictate policy.

What annoys me is that the senior officers and politicians in their Ivory towers set these stupid policies (and always blame budget restraints) but never have to face the public backlash. Furious letter to the useless (IMHO) local MP would be the first step.

Just glad I don't live under the Met's jurisdiction.

Power to the people! Roll on the benevolent dictatorship! (and, yes I know those quotes date me! )

Steve
Old 12 January 2003, 11:23 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Well, I'd like to think I wasn't too contentious in my views - I might have to join the Pete Lewis fan club! (Hello Pete BTW!)

My reasons for posting were mostly:

a) I was gobsmacked that budgets and the level of manpower in the Met were so bad that they'd have to even consider issuing such a restrictive policy.

b) Just to let other Scoobynetters know about it as it was an interesting topic (IMO). I often look at Scoobynet as a gathering of mostly like-minded folk and made the comment in the same way as you would when you meet your mates in the pub, as in: "You'll never guess what the new rules the Met Police have to follow are..."

Ah well, if that's sufficient to get me censored, so be it.

Hey, ho; enough of this idle chatter. As Zebedee would say - it's time for bed! Boing!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12 January 2003, 11:30 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular