Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Widescreen tv's again!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2001, 03:49 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have found 2 possible 36" widescreen tv's and can not decide between either of them, they are in no particular order

Panansonic TX36PF10

Hitachi C36WF810N

They are both roughly the same price and the only major difference that I can see is that the Hitachi is Dolby and the Panasonic is only Nicam, but as I was looking at a seperate 5.1 system anyway this doesn't bother me too much.

I will get to the point

I can't decide between the 2 tv's. I have seen both of them and they both gave an excellent picture as far as my untrained eyes could tell.

But has anyone who use's one of these Tv's had any problemss or niggles?

Could someone point me in the right direction as to which is the better option, if so why do you think it is?

Thanks

Ian
Old 05 January 2001, 10:09 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation

Ian,
I don't know the answer to your question, but someone here may:
Old 05 January 2001, 10:46 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ian

Try
Old 05 January 2001, 11:49 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Two of my m8's have the Panny 32PF10. I've seen one of them and was really impressed with DVD picture quality.

Normal terrestial pictures can be a bit ropey on all 100hz sets though. But as part of a Home Cinema setup it's damn good.

Hitachi sets also get good rightups. The best thing is to go and see them demonstrated at a decent Home Cinema shop.

P.
Old 06 January 2001, 12:33 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ian,

Have a look at
Old 08 January 2001, 12:24 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went with JBL SCS125's for size(small) and price(200ish quid), I run these from a Sony STR-DA 50 EA(600ish). I was going for Bose Acoustimass speakers which look nice but get very mixed write ups and are very expensive in comparison(missing frequencies between bass and sat speakers is the problem I'm told). The JBL's are relatively Cheap and sound good for TV/DVD Movies and my CD's sound OK(Tanks in the living room no problem from Saving Private Ryan) but not as good as my HI-FI & Floorstanders for Music. So Price v's Perfomance was the winner for me. The JBL's have a high WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor) as they are small but don't let her see the Subwoofer box.....its not so small
Old 08 January 2001, 09:38 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

I've got the Panasonic and was impressed, but you must have a good AV AMP & speakers as sound from TV alone is weak(relatively).
I paid about 1400quid from the 36 inch one 3-4 months ago from letsbuyit.de .
No experience of the Hitachi one but would avoid rear projection as common opinion is that its not as good as standard TV's and also lamps need replacement so ongoing maintenance is required. Although those extra inches may make up for all that, its all down to personal taste. Be aware that TV's look much bigger at home than they do in the shop !!!!

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2001, 10:23 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Go for the Panasonic!

Agreed whole-heartedly with camk's comments on rear projection. Neighbour just tried to outsize us with a 40" rear projector. Went round to have a look and picture quality is blox!!
Oh, and check your mail

Joolz
Old 08 January 2001, 10:41 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Thanks,

for the info guys. I am probably going to go for the Pany with a set of them Mission flat speakers.
I shall have to have a demo of them first just to make sure that they are upto the job.

Any thoughts on other speaker set ups?

Regards

Ian
Old 08 January 2001, 11:52 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I guess the reason for the Missions is lack of space/WNF (Wife Nag Factor )? I just have 'normal' blackbox speakers at the front. I managed to get up a set of Jamo Omega3's as rear surround speakers which come in all colours (can be painted as well!), sound good and chunky and (most importantly for the missis) don't stand out at all as they match your living room.

When buying the Jamo's was a toss-up between those and some dinky flat (5cm deep)Pioneer speakers .

Can only suggest Mr. local Hi-fi gives you a demo of the flat speakers and see if they sound up to the job (unsure if you mean to use these as front speakers as well as rear)

Cheers
Joolz

edited for stoopiditty

[This message has been edited by jbryant (edited 08 January 2001).]
Old 08 January 2001, 01:39 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Ian,

This month's "What Hifi" has a review of the 32" versions of these models - maybe useful...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 01 February 2001, 12:36 AM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Smile

I bought a Philips 36" 9525 last autumn and spent some time deciding to go with either this or the Panasonic. In the end comparing both and reading reviews indicated the Philips for me being the better option. I spent hours searching for the best way to buy and decided to go to John Lewis. Although initially not the cheapest, by the time you add a 5 year garantee, free delivery and no quibble return plus excellent service there was no contest. On top I paid £15 for the poor sods to carry it into the house and set it up, as there is no way one person can lift it (85kg). The picture is stunning, combine this with DVD and a mega 5.1 surround sound and you have your own cinema. Well worth the money.
Old 01 February 2001, 06:07 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Arrow

In the end I have gone for the Hitachi as I was finding it very hard to get a delivery date for the Panasonic.
I received the tv about a week ago and my first impression was sh*t how am I gonna lift the thing!

It went in the front door no probs but at this point the delivery guy vanished and I was left with this huge, and I mean huge cardboard box. There was a bit of a comedy scene going on with me trying to get it into the living room but after a bit of mucking about I unpacked it Doh! and managed to get it into my living room.

I set it up and switched on and er that is a BIG screen. My first impression of the picture was a bit of a let down, but after playing about with the comb filter and noise reduction etc it is very good, I don't know what the filters do but I don't think that all of them are needed. The picture quality with dvd's is very good.
I prefer the 100htz to the progessive scan and the different options for screen layouts are good.
The sound of the system is excellent (compared to what I am use too) but it is lacking a bit of bass, maybe after I have mucked around with the sound settings some more it will hopefully improve.
There is a down side it has started to make a horrid clicking noise coming from several speakers after it has been on for a couple of hours and so I am requesting a replacement tv

It has come with a free 5 year Guarantee from Hitachi which going by the way it is making noises at this early stage I am going to need

But putting the issue of the clicking aside it is a good tv. I purchased it in the end from Digital direct for £1575, it came with the stand (not being used) and speakers which are not too intrusive in the room.

As far as getting a seperate amp and better speakers etc are concerned I am leaving that for now as the wife has pulled faces with the prospect of more boxes of electronics and the W/N/F is very high at the moment

I would say to anyone considering getting a widescreen Tv, do it as it will blow you away. Definately have a look at what Hitachi have to offer, as they have so many features as standard when compared to other brands and hopefully the problem I am having with the sound is just a one off.

[This message has been edited by ian/555 (edited 01 February 2001).]
Old 01 February 2001, 09:40 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Don't say you were not warned

Quote from my previous post:-
'Be aware that TV's look much bigger at home than they do in the shop !!!! '

Enjoy
Cammy
Old 01 February 2001, 04:36 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Buzz - Ya Wimp! Only kidding, I had to get my missus to help

Mick
Old 02 February 2001, 09:37 AM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

My back still aches from having to move it shortly after it being delivered. The down side is a big TV is more susceptible to magnetic interference. Our TV 1st went in the corner where the old TV was, but hey, the radiator was near the screen, the radiator having become magnetized due to a speaker standing next to it for a few years. This was a complete **** as it meant moving the TV to another corner, which in turn meant a complete reshuffle of the surround sound system - pulling out neatly disguised wires etc - arrrrgh.

Moving a 36" with cabinet and surround sound components at around a total weight of 120kg is no fun.
Old 02 February 2001, 09:45 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

buy a tosh then,
theyve got lurvely castors on the bottom

its easier to move than the old telly, and weights about 1/2 a ton!

only problem I get is wife when people come round and go "thats big telly" she just gives me an icy stare!

robski
Old 02 February 2001, 11:01 AM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Smile

I don't have that problem. My other half likes looking at 36" one, altough she does complain when I don't let her play with it!

No castors though, just have to drag it across the floor.
Old 04 February 2001, 05:32 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

You lot have it easy! LOL

I had to remove three doors to get my 41" Sony in the room. That was two years ago and I'm now looking at a 56" Widescreen.

Added to the cost is going to be the price for removing and refitting the front window.

Lee
Old 04 February 2001, 07:26 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Talking

After lots of research i went for the Toahiba 32WD98B its bloody marvelous built in sub 100 hz flicker free more features than the tardis

do some reading my friend What TV & Hi Fi
do great write ups or goto